Page 47 of 289 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797147 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Espada didnt get the SF job, Kapler to SF?

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I'd rather see Newk learning how to air it out in the BP rather than continuing to force the SP route. How many times do we have to watch the same thing?
    Maybe AA is a fan of the excitement of never knowing if the next pitch will be a strike, decapitate the batter, land in the announcer's booth, or somehow clear the center field fence behind the pitcher without ever touching a bat?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    ...but tapered off near the end and didn’t do much in the playoffs. That’s what the older guys do many times...they wear down.

He isn’t young, he showed signs of running out of gas in the last month of the season.
    wRC+:
    Mar/Apr: 133
    May: 100
    June: 115
    July: 163
    August: 154
    Sept/Oct: 124

I don't think it's really accurate to say he "wore down." his 124 wRC+ in Sept/Oct was higher than his May/June, and right around his opening month. Having two monster months in between doesn't make having just a really solid month wearing down. he also had a 18.3% K rate in Sept/Oct, his lowest of any month.

using a 5 game playoff sample is useless.

doesn't seem he wore down at all.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    The issue is not the rules.

The issue is which group the Braves belong: revenue recipient or not.

Each article places the Braves in a different group.
    I think I would defer to MLB.com site over MLB Trade Rumors for a rules question, but either could be wrong I guess.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    wRC+:

I don't think it's really accurate to say he "wore down." his 124 wRC+ in Sept/Oct was higher than his May/June, and right around his opening month. Having two monster months in between doesn't make having just a really solid month wearing down. he also had a 18.3% K rate in Sept/Oct, his lowest of any month.

I mean he was nursing a bruised hip at the end of the season, but yeah I agree I don't see the wear down. Even if that were true, properly resting these guys throughout the season at least once or twice a month (like what should have happened in 2019) helps to alleviate that concern.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I mean he was nursing a bruised hip at the end of the season, but yeah I agree I don't see the wear down. Even if that were true, properly resting these guys throughout the season at least once or twice a month (like what should have happened in 2019) helps to alleviate that concern.
    most players are nursing something by that time. just because he wasn't otherwordly like the middle two months doesn't mean he was wearing down. he was still damn good, and i think the relatively low K-rate says a lot.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    maybe AA should focus on players who do well in October
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    i would target the guy with the best 5-game sample during the season

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I don't think giving Newk one more shot at a rotation spot in the spring is a bad idea - AA's not likely going to sign or trade for more than one more SP, so what's the harm in giving Wright and Wilson a bit more competition? Maybe being told that this is his last chance to be a starter triggers something, maybe not. If he struggles again, you don't feel badly about not giving him that last chance after he's shown so much improvement in the pen - and he can't have anything against AA and the staff if/when they put him there for good. He made it known he'd like one more chance, and he's done what he needed to do to deserve that chance - how many times were most people (myself included) screaming for Folty to be converted into a late-inning weapon?

I don't know that I buy AA's statement about standing pat with the pen as it currently stands though - particularly if Newk wins the #5 spot. I think they're more than happy with the RH options after bringing O'Day back, but are they really comfortable with Minter, Dayton, and Davidson as the only LH options in the pen? Have they made the decision to convert Davidson to a reliever without even giving him a chance to start? If Newk wins a spot and keeps it, are they going to use Muller out of the pen in 2021? I can certainly understand them not chasing a big name or higher-salaried LHRP in a trade or as a free-agent, but there are quite a few relatively stable options available that should be able to be had on one-year, inexpensive deals - even if you just want them to fill the Blevins LOOGY role while utilizing Minter and Dayton as your go-to lefties.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Sign Cole, Stras, and MadBum. We may never lose again.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Rosenthal's recent article on The Athletic says we'd lose our third highest pick if we signed a QO free agent.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Rosenthal's recent article on The Athletic says we'd lose our third highest pick if we signed a QO free agent.
    Which means they are revenue recipients, and revenue recipients are supposed to get a pick after the 1st round if their QO FA signs for more than $50M.

What part of the rule am I missing?

I'm sure someone will clear it up at some point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Which means they are revenue recipients, and revenue recipients are supposed to get a pick after the 1st round if their QO FA signs for more than $50M.

What part of the rule am I missing?

I'm sure someone will clear it up at some point.
    I'm pretty sure we were revenue sharing recipients in 2018. The question is are we still one of those teams.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Didn’t the 3rd quarter article talk about revenue sharing as being part of our increased revenue. I am lazy to go check.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that Mitch Haniger is drawing trade interest.

Haniger's season ended in early June this past season due to a ruptured testicle and later a back ailment, but he's expected to be fully healthy for the start of spring training. Rosenthal says that the Mariners "are open to trading Haniger," who will turn 29 next month and who has three years of control remaining. It no doubt would take a healthy package to acquire Haniger, who batted .285/.366/.493 with 26 home runs and 93 RBI in 2018 while making the All-Star team.

Id certainly rather give up prospects for whats probably Hanigers peak, than sign a mediocre OF option.
    Ivermectin Man

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that Mitch Haniger is drawing trade interest.

Haniger's season ended in early June this past season due to a ruptured testicle and later a back ailment, but he's expected to be fully healthy for the start of spring training. Rosenthal says that the Mariners "are open to trading Haniger," who will turn 29 next month and who has three years of control remaining. It no doubt would take a healthy package to acquire Haniger, who batted .285/.366/.493 with 26 home runs and 93 RBI in 2018 while making the All-Star team.

Id certainly rather give up prospects for whats probably Hanigers peak, than sign a mediocre OF option.
    We already signed a mediocre OF’er. I don’t see us trading for a true starter and making twit have to figure out how to get Neck 500 AB.
    Coppy

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Haniger's season ended in early June this past season due to a ruptured testicle and later a back ailment,
    Send this poor fellow wherever he wants and pay him his heart's desire.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Mariners are so stupid. Trading Haniger last off-season probably gets them close to 100 million in surplus value. That's multiple top 50 overall prospects if they targeted the right team. Now, a year closer to FA and coming off an injury plagued season with a mediocre offensive showing, they might be lucky to get 1 Top 50 overall prospect and a back end Top 100 guy. He probably has somewhere around 50-60 million in surplus value. May be lower depending on how teams value his age 31 season.

I don't see us getting involved to be honest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Mariners are so stupid. Trading Haniger last off-season probably gets them close to 100 million in surplus value. That's multiple top 50 overall prospects if they targeted the right team. Now, a year closer to FA and coming off an injury plagued season with a mediocre offensive showing, they might be lucky to get 1 Top 50 overall prospect and a back end Top 100 guy. He probably has somewhere around 50-60 million in surplus value. May be lower depending on how teams value his age 31 season.

I don't see us getting involved to be honest.
    I don't see the Mariners playing ball at that value, but I'd expect that's exactly the type of deal (buying way low) on a guy that AA would target.
    Ivermectin Man

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    wRC+:

Maybe, but he definitely wasn’t the same guy the last month of the season and playoffs as he was most of the year. The Cardinals series likely would have gone differently if he was.

Either way....I really like him and hope he is back...just not for crazy money and/or years.