Page 48 of 289 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    i'd be interested in Haniger at the right price.
    wonder if you could also grab Seager for 3B.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Maybe, but he definitely wasn’t the same guy the last month of the season and playoffs as he was most of the year. The Cardinals series likely would have gone differently if he was.

Either way....I really like him and hope he is back...just not for crazy money and/or years.
    i mean again, just because he didn't hit to an outstanding 155+ wRC+ in the last month doesn't mean he wore down. he was still very good. few players put up 150+ every single calendar month of a season.
    also again, a 5 game playoff sample means nothing. legitimately nothing.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    We already signed a mediocre OF’er. I don’t see us trading for a true starter and making twit have to figure out how to get Neck 500 AB.
    After a ruptured testicle can he still reach his peak?
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,895 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Bull Semen is always the answer.
    Ivermectin Man

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

bravesfanforlife88 (11-13-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I don't see the Mariners playing ball at that value, but I'd expect that's exactly the type of deal (buying way low) on a guy that AA would target.
    50-60 million in surplus value seems like it could be Wright and another 50 FV pitcher, like Wilson or Muller. Or may be Riley and 45 grade pitcher like De la Cruz. I just can't see the Mariners doing much better than that. But may be they find a stooge like the Mets again. The Edwin Diaz trade sure seemed worked out for them.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    I consider that I reached my potential every time I bust a nut.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I don't know. I guess we'll see man.
    thank you weso1!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Rangers are apparently "aggressively" pursuing Josh Donaldson according to Bob Nightengale

The Braves, per MLB Network’s Jon Heyman (Twitter link), have been allowing Donaldson to shop around with other clubs before engaging in their own discussion of a multi-year pact.
    Get off my lawn!

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    IIRC Evan Grant earlier posted that JD would/could get 3/75 from Rangers. Now Nightengale reports. The last sentence just indicates to me Braves weren't that serious considering other vacancies.

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Add the Dodgers to the list. He gone. Let’s see where we go from here.

Dodgers Have Interest In Josh Donaldson

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/11/dodgers-rumors-josh-donaldson-interest-free-agent.html

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Rangers are apparently "aggressively" pursuing Josh Donaldson according to Bob Nightengale

The Braves, per MLB Network’s Jon Heyman (Twitter link), have been allowing Donaldson to shop around with other clubs before engaging in their own discussion of a multi-year pact.
    I think that its probably working like this:

-Donaldson would ideally want to stay in Atlanta, but only for the right amount of money
    -We let him shop his services with the understanding that he'll come back to let us negotiate against whatever offers he has
    -We make a decision on whether to match the best offer he has gotten, or offer him enough to tempt him to stay.

I don't "know" that Donaldson wants to stay in Atlanta, but that is the feeling I get. At least enough to work with us in negotiations and be more transparent than another free agent might be. I also get the feeling that he doesn't want to stay here bad enough to take a significant discount in order to do so, given that this is his last major payday. So if he gets offered a 3/75 contract or whatever it is, its just going to be a matter of us matching that offer or getting close enough that Josh is willing to stay.

My sense is that he is likely going to get priced out of Atlanta and ultimately I'm okay with that. I'm starting to approach this offseason from the standpoint of building quality depth, rather than going after massive names that require significant risk to sign. There are several older players who are solid pieces and who would come relatively cheaply. I think it might be a good idea to go after several of those names to fill out a quality roster, rather than committing all of our money to one or two "impact" signings.

We have a very strong core of "stars" on our team and I think it'd be a perfectly valid approach to fill out the rest of the roster with ~1-2 win players, including the bench. Some of those guys' value could be enhanced by smart roster management and platooning and end up giving us a really solid roster to work with. Obviously AA would have to basically command Snit to deploy the roster correctly, but I'm thinking that this might be the most effective way to navigate this offseason. There seems to be an abundance of 1-2 win types that should come cheaply and fill our needs, while the "big name" guys seem to come with significant risk or commitment attached to them. The one exception to that might be Moustakas (or Grandal if he could be convinced to value AAV over the amount of years).

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I also think its easy to underrate just how strong our core currently is. Having Freeman, Acuna, and Ozzie in our lineup for so little money is a great foundation. Having Soroka, Fried, and Folty in our rotation for so little money is also a great foundation. Having supplementary pieces around them like Dansby, Nick, and Ender is great. Instead of trying to force the issue by signing another big name, adding a larger amount lesser players that fit our current needs might be a better alternative.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    IIRC Evan Grant earlier posted that JD would/could get 3/75 from Rangers. Now Nightengale reports. The last sentence just indicates to me Braves weren't that serious considering other vacancies.
    DOB saying they are letting JD get a feeling of what’s out there before making their multi year offer. We have a long way to go before this is over

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I also think its easy to underrate just how strong our core currently is. Having Freeman, Acuna, and Ozzie in our lineup for so little money is a great foundation. Having Soroka, Fried, and Folty in our rotation for so little money is also a great foundation. Having supplementary pieces around them like Dansby, Nick, and Ender is great. Instead of trying to force the issue by signing another big name, adding a larger amount lesser players that fit our current needs might be a better alternative.
    Just think if you could somehow turn SS into Lindor and C into Contreras

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    50-60 million in surplus value seems like it could be Wright and another 50 FV pitcher, like Wilson or Muller. Or may be Riley and 45 grade pitcher like De la Cruz. I just can't see the Mariners doing much better than that. But may be they find a stooge like the Mets again. The Edwin Diaz trade sure seemed worked out for them.
    Selling Riley to a team that values him as an MLB ready impact hitter is something I can get behind 100%.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    75M/3 years is the tops I would go for Donaldson. In the end I don't think money will be the deciding factor. I'd be surprised if he signed for the Rangers when the opportunity to play for a contending team (Dodgers or Braves) is there.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    I believe we should contract some veteran for third base like Todd Frazier or Jedd Gyorko. Invite one of those players for spring training and let Austin win the third base.

We should trade for Lindor and Kluber. Kluber still have 2 year contract 17,500,000 first year and a second of 18,000,000 with 1 million buyout. If Kluber don’t perform with can cut him the next year.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    If AA intended to and was aware of a big market for JD why even bother with the QO if he wants to play the all in game?

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,506 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    If AA intended to and was aware of a big market for JD why even bother with the QO if he wants to play the all in game?
    Are you asking why AA gave the QO if he was intending to go big for JD?