Page 71 of 289 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121171 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,800 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    CrimsonCowboy.
    Hi there!
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Braves sign Travis D'Arnaud. 2 yrs $16 million.

https://twitter.com/Braves/status/1198713117649383429

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    If payroll actually IS going to be in the $140-145 million range, doesn't there HAVE to be a trade involving Ender coming?

A d'Arnaud/Flowers platoon can't be the RH bat behind Freddie if you're going to let Snitker balance the lineup, can it? Payroll is now at ~ $115 million. If you give Donaldson ~ $25 million per, you're maxed-out, and Markakis hits 5th. Maybe not awful balance-wise, but how big an improvement is Markakis/d'Arnaud behind Freddie/Donaldson if you're still following them with Ender and Dansby and you don't add another SP?

Just find it hard to believe that AA is willing to start the season with two of Newk/Wright/Wilson/Touki/Anderson in the rotation.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    There are one or two BIG trades coming. I think they know Donaldson will likely not be back.

Winter meetings gonna be crazy. They will definitely add a 3rd baseman and pitcher most likely thru trade.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-24-2019)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    There are one or two BIG trades coming. I think they know Donaldson will likely not be back.

Winter meetings gonna be crazy. They will definitely add a 3rd baseman and pitcher most likely thru trade.
    It would've been easy to see going with the young arms two years ago (and even last year), but if the bullpen splurge doesn't signal they intend to play with the "big boys" what will?

No idea whether pushing chips in will work (and the numbers folks will have a field day for years if it doesn't), but there simply has to be another SP add coming - even with Donaldson hitting behind Freddie AA can't feel terribly confident that a Soroka/Fried/Folty/???/??? is a good enough rotation to get where they want to go.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    I do think we need to trade for a cheap player in arb or pre arb given where payroll is. No idea who that player is though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    I do think we need to trade for a cheap player in arb or pre arb given where payroll is. No idea who that player is though.
    Matt Boyd makes a certain amount of sense.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I’ve been against trading prospects up until now, but it’s time. There is a log jam of guys that are talented , but will get no chance.

AA’s moves has set him up to do many things.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Regardless of anyone else’s failed math endeavors, the 2020 payroll is currently sitting right around $110M.

If opening day payroll is $130M as we previously suspected, there isn’t even room for JD. If opening day payroll is $140M as would be consistent with a $150M+ total payroll, there is room for JD and another filler player.

At this point we are right where we were last offseason, waiting for the inevitable big trade that never came. Boyd makes sense. Ray makes sense. There’s probably some underwhelming trade option like Duvall that will fit nicely while being unexciting. Many players make sense, and we all know who they are, so I won’t bother listing them out so I can claim I was right a month from now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Regardless of anyone else’s failed math endeavors, the 2020 payroll is currently sitting right around $110M.

If opening day payroll is $130M as we previously suspected, there isn’t even room for JD. If opening day payroll is $140M as would be consistent with a $150M+ total payroll, there is room for JD and another filler player.

At this point we are right where we were last offseason, waiting for the inevitable big trade that never came. Boyd makes sense. Ray makes sense. There’s probably some underwhelming trade option like Duvall that will fit nicely while being unexciting. Many players make sense, and we all know who they are, so I won’t bother listing them out so I can claim I was right a month from now.
    I have us at 110 too...we will probably have an opening day payroll in the 135-140 range...I'm guessing closer to 135

Could be 130 if we sign Moose
    Last edited by nsacpi; 11-24-2019 at 07:30 PM.

"I am your retribution."

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Not necessarily, but any deal now likely has to be pretty imaginative if it's not going to be an overpay according to the charts if payroll isn't being pushed into the $150 million range and the SP is an established SP.

Something centered around Ender and Kluber would make some semblance of sense for both sides assuming the Indians are going to hold onto Lindor and take another shot this season, but which arm would be too much for AA to include?

There have been all kinds of names mentioned - and several of them would be great ideas - but which rebuilding team HONESTLY has an arb-eligible or pre-arb guy (SP OR 3B) that AA can go get without killing his depth (or overpaying for according to the charts)?

One of those interesting names that was mentioned in passing a while back is Miguel Andujar. Would you give up one of our top 3 prospect arms for Andujar and his horrendous defense? It'd leave you with plenty of money to spend on a SP, but if Riley makes adjustments that could turn out really badly.

If he's targeting an arb-eligible/pre-arb guy, it probably has to be at 3B - who has a SP like that that is willing to give him up that is proven and is better than the guys we've got that are ready or close to ready that they'll actually let go of without killing you? Dont forget Robbie Ray is projected to make almost $11 million in arbitration and Boyd is projected to make almost $6.5 million - maybe you could re-sign Donaldson and still afford Boyd if you let Greene walk, but how much are you willing to give up for Boyd when you know they're not likely to move him unless the deal is a slam-dunk winner for them?
    Last edited by clvclv; 11-24-2019 at 07:38 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Lol

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I have us at 110 too...we will probably have an opening day payroll in the 135-140 range...I'm guessing closer to 135

Could be 130 if we sign Moose
    Agreed, but $140M+ wouldn’t surprise me.

I’m working on my full length response now.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-24-2019 at 07:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts

editorial tool

trim a little here

trim a little there

and you can have a decent concise post

money back guarantee

only $22.99
    Last edited by nsacpi; 11-24-2019 at 08:14 PM.

"I am your retribution."

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (11-24-2019), salmagundy (11-25-2019)

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    So what’s the Ace we are signing Matt Harvey?

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Would the Braves be interested in Whit Merrifield? What would it take to get him?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimeDog247 View Post
    Would the Braves be interested in Whit Merrifield? What would it take to get him?
    Do not see why they would not be. I saw the Cubs referenced concerning him this weekend.

The Royals have apparently set a big price on him, but seems to me they might want to move him while his value is at its max. Seems difficult to imagine he'll improve and he's getting older with less remaining control.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    If payroll actually IS going to be in the $140-145 million range, doesn't there HAVE to be a trade involving Ender coming?

A d'Arnaud/Flowers platoon can't be the RH bat behind Freddie if you're going to let Snitker balance the lineup, can it? Payroll is now at ~ $115 million. If you give Donaldson ~ $25 million per, you're maxed-out, and Markakis hits 5th. Maybe not awful balance-wise, but how big an improvement is Markakis/d'Arnaud behind Freddie/Donaldson if you're still following them with Ender and Dansby and you don't add another SP?

Just find it hard to believe that AA is willing to start the season with two of Newk/Wright/Wilson/Touki/Anderson in the rotation.
    Neck is fine if he is platooned. He hit 298/371/446 - 816 against righties in 2019. Good for a 112 WRC+.

Riley on the other hand crushed lefties. Hitting 262/338/646 - 984 against them. Good for a 135 WRC+. Now I obviously expect that slugging to drop but I am confident he can post a 800+ OPS against lefties.

We also know what Duvall can do a against lefties as well. I would not be opposed to a double platoon with Neck/Riley and Ender/Duvall to start the year. That should be very productive both on offense and defense.

That would pigeonhole the team into getting a quality 3B but I think that's where the team is at anyway right now.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-25-2019)

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Neck is fine if he is platooned. He hit 298/371/446 - 816 against righties in 2019. Good for a 112 WRC+.

Riley on the other hand crushed lefties. Hitting 262/338/646 - 984 against them. Good for a 135 WRC+. Now I obviously expect that slugging to drop but I am confident he can post a 800+ OPS against lefties.

We also know what Duvall can do a against lefties as well. I would not be opposed to a double platoon with Neck/Riley and Ender/Duvall to start the year. That should be very productive both on offense and defense.

That would pigeonhole the team into getting a quality 3B but I think that's where the team is at anyway right now.
    I'm not sure that I want to pigeonhole Riley into a platoon role yet. Yes, he fits there now, but he won't learn to hit righties without getting ABs against them.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    I'm not sure that I want to pigeonhole Riley into a platoon role yet. Yes, he fits there now, but he won't learn to hit righties without getting ABs against them.
    If the Braves were to sign Moustakas, Riley would probably be needed as a platoon player at 3rd. Everyone seems to forget that Moustakas is a below average against lefties in his career.