Page 73 of 289 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123173 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,460 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    AA has hinted Riley will start 2020 in AAA.
    It's an interesting decision to make. Trade him now or try and let him develop. Past history with players of his skillset seem to point to the fact that he likely won't be a star. If you can get a haul for him from a team who over values him, sell high.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-26-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    The Marlins were dumb enough to fall for the same type of player in Alfaro and took him as a main piece in the JTR trade. Dumb teams are out there, AA just has to find them and take advantage of their stupidity.

However, you may be right and the best use for Riley is to keep him and hope he improves. He’s young and it’s certainly possible.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-25-2019 at 08:45 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-26-2019)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The Marlins were dumb enough to fall for the same type of player in Alfaro and took him as a main piece in the JTR trade. Dumb teams are out there, AA just has to find them and take advantage of their stupidity.

However, you may be right and the best use for Riley is to keep him and hope he improves. He’s young and it’s certainly possible.
    I like the idea of going back to the Marlins and trying to get Brian Anderson

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts

I remember you previously posting examples of players with a K rate and BB rate in his range never really showing improvement enough to be very valuable. Seemed pretty convincing.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-26-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I remember you previously posting examples of players with a K rate and BB rate in his range never really showing improvement enough to be very valuable. Seemed pretty convincing.
    While true, I’m guessing most/all of them were older than Riley. He was only playing his age 22 season last year, so it would be foolish to write him off after half a season.

If a team values him as a budding masher, the Braves should probably cash him in now. If teams only value him as a potential Jake Lamb with hit tool questions, then the Braves should probably hold onto him.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-26-2019)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    While true, I’m guessing most/all of them were older than Riley. He was only playing his age 22 season last year, so it would be foolish to write him off after half a season.

If a team values him as a budding masher, the Braves should probably cash him in now. If teams only value him as a potential Jake Lamb with hit tool questions, then the Braves should probably hold onto him.
    We should do what the people from Omelas did. Lock Riley in an underground room and let him wallow around in his own filth for all eternity so the gods will bless the rest of us with a World Series title. I think that would get the absolute maximum surplus value out of him.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Every person in Cleveland would suicide themselves. Not only would they lose their three biggest players for a terrible package, but they would still be in Cleveland. Too much to bear.
    Agree. I thought the sarcasm was clear. Then I added it wouldn’t happen.

I just think the website is funny. Takes future value and doesn’t think about reality

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    It's an interesting decision to make. Trade him now or try and let him develop. Past history with players of his skillset seem to point to the fact that he likely won't be a star. If you can get a haul for him from a team who over values him, sell high.
    I think Riley will develop into a solid 2-3 WAR regular. He can play a decent left. A player doesnt have to be a star to be valuable.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    I think Riley will develop into a solid 2-3 WAR regular. He can play a decent left. A player doesnt have to be a star to be valuable.
    I would say at this point he could either become that 2-3 WAR regular, or he could become the post-'07 negative WAR Francoeur.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowman For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-26-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    I guess. I mean he did show massive improvement in AAA between 2018-2019 while being much younger than the league. Is be curious to see if he can show further improvement with BB and K rate at major league level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I guess. I mean he did show massive improvement in AAA between 2018-2019 while being much younger than the league. Is be curious to see if he can show further improvement with BB and K rate at major league level.
    His BB and K rate numbers in the majors are significantly worse than the major league equivalents of his BB and K rate numbers in AAA. We all saw his struggles with our own eyes. But the data suggest maybe they are overstated. Plus as you note he is young and still has plenty of time to figure some things out.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    But the data suggest maybe they are overstated.
    genuinely curious, what data?
    i ask because he swung and missed in the zone at an insane rate. his overall contact% was pretty bad too.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i ask because he swung and missed in the zone at an insane rate. his overall contact% was pretty bad too.
    the crazy divergence between his AA k rate (20%) and major league K rate (36%) last season

it bears noting that in 2018 his AAA k rate was 29%.

None of the above come from a big sample. So we kind of have to put all three observations together and try to figure out what he was last year. My guess is the true underlying Riley in 2019 was a player who would strike out around 27% in AAA and around 30% in the majors.

That's not quite good enough. But if the true Riley can spend half of 2020 in AAA and become a player who strikes out around 24% in AAA and 27% in the majors that would be significant progress.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 11-26-2019 at 09:46 AM.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    the crazy divergence between his AA k rate (20%) and major league K rate (36%) last season
    gotcha. that k-rate in AAA was potentially a blip even over 194 PAs. it was 29.3% the year before in AAA. so it's tough to say.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    gotcha. that k-rate in AAA was potentially a blip even over 194 PAs. it was 29.3% the year before in AAA. so it's tough to say.
    yeah...I added a bit to my post above

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    I was going to say his injury in August might have further sabotaged his already poor contact rates, but looking at this K rate and BB rate from Sept/Oct, they are exactly the same from his July numbers. I mean Exactly. The. Same. How friggin crazy is that?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Rosenthal kicking all sorts of stuff around this morning on Hot Stove - mentioned Boston potentially packaging Benintendi with Price to get money off the books. Quite sure he came up with it on his own - doesn't sound like something they'd leak this early other than to show that they're open to all sorts of ideas.

Don't see it happening, but would be interesting to see how much cash they'd have to kick in to get the type of return they'd hope to in that type of deal.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I was going to say his injury in August might have further sabotaged his already poor contact rates, but looking at this K rate and BB rate from Sept/Oct, they are exactly the same from his July numbers. I mean Exactly. The. Same. How friggin crazy is that?
    Not crazy at all considering he was swinging through strikes and swinging at bad pitches at the same horrid rates from day 1, even when he was riding insane luck early. The only silver lining is that he’s still young. If he stays like Alfaro with less power he’s a below average hitter that can’t play catcher.

Folks love to talk about Riley’s power, but the fact of the matter is his power is merely above average, and isn’t nearly good enough to cover up the issues with the hit tool. We don’t have access to contact stats for MiLB, but we can be sure the Braves do. Hopefully those are the stats they will be watching as Riley works on things in AAA.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-26-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Not crazy at all considering he was swinging through strikes and swinging at bad pitches at the same horrid rates from day 1, even when he was riding insane luck early. The only silver lining is that he’s still young. If he stays like Alfaro with less power he’s a below average hitter that can’t play catcher.

Folks love to talk about Riley’s power, but the fact of the matter is his power is merely above average, and isn’t nearly good enough to cover up the issues with the hit tool. We don’t have access to contact stats for MiLB, but we can be sure the Braves do. Hopefully those are the stats they will be watching as Riley works on things in AAA.
    I was commenting more about the random occurrence that data sets in both months are completely different, yet the rates are exactly the same down to the last decimal place.
    Last edited by Carp; 11-26-2019 at 02:28 PM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-26-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Kinda like Khris Davis posting a .247 BA for 4 consecutive years.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Carp (11-26-2019), jpx7 (11-26-2019), The Chosen One (11-26-2019)