Page 102 of 289 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,040 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    When I opened this site on my phone and saw I had to scroll 2 pages to get to the top I didn’t even have to check to see who posted.

Here’s the synopsis from 1000 words to 10 words:

“The braves probably can’t afford to give JD 4 years”.

And it’s something we’ve known on this site for months. Not sure why another 1000 words had to be vomited to state it again.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-09-2019 at 01:10 PM.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Bumgarner is asking for 5/100+, and has a QO attached. He is setting himself up to be this years DK.
    Bumgarner supposedly has a pretty strong market. I think he'll get that, wouldnt want AA doing it tho.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post
    The same article also said Pollock may be available. I would interested in Pollock if his contract wasn't so backloaded. When healthy, Pollock still is a really good player.
    I would take the health gamble on Pollock and offer a couple of low end prospects to Dodgers for him with the Dodgers sending some money back to cover some risk.
    He is also interesting. The issue I see with him is the fact part of his value is tied up in being able to play CF, and that’s not where the Braves should be spending resources. Sort of like why Pillar isn’t as clean a fit as some other OF options.

Unless the Braves sell low on Ender.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-09-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    Trading for Kris Bryant seems like the most logical Braves move at this point. It fits in the with AA’s MO of valuing short term high AAV contracts; the Cubs seem to favor pitching prospects who are close to the big leagues; and the Braves should be able to recoup some of the prospect with the QO.

The preference in order should be Rendon @ 5 years (not likely), JD @ 3 yrs (seems very likely JD gets a 4th year which seems too heavy), then Kris Bryant (likely for 2 years and will cost Wright or Anderson + Touki or Wilson would be my guess without doing the surplus value math).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-09-2019)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    I think JD may wait after Rendon then he'll know who needs a 3B and can play the market.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Ideally the Cubs have devolved to the point they would take Riley plus an arm for Bryant.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (12-09-2019), jpx7 (12-09-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    Ideally the Cubs have devolved to the point they would take Riley plus an arm for Bryant.
    This is the part where team building is difficult. The Braves are at the point in their contention window where they can’t afford to be patient with a high variance prospect like Riley, but there is a real possibility he becomes a long term affordable option that would allow you to sign an elite player.

The worst outcome would be to punt the decision than have Riley face plant in AAA and ultimately get nothing.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-09-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I’m afraid somebody will give JD the 4th year out of desperation and I hope it’s not us. I don’t see us getting in on the Rendon bidding bc many big teams are involved. Bryant makes The most sense for us if JD signs elsewhere. If a deal can’t be made there then it’s gonna get really tricky for AA.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    When I opened this site on my phone and saw I had to scroll 2 pages to get to the top I didn’t even have to check to see who posted.

Here’s the synopsis from 1000 words to 10 words:

“The braves probably can’t afford to give JD 4 years”.

And it’s something we’ve known on this site for months. Not sure why another 1000 words had to be vomited to state it again.
    I stopped reading after he said AA needs to tell him he has 24 hours to accept an offer or we're moving on.

I can't even tell you how dumb of idea that is, especially this early in FA. Not surprised that you know who suggested it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    AA has really done nothing at the winter meetings since he took over, I don't expect that to change this year....especially with all that he has done before the meetings...
    Get off my lawn!

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    AA has really done nothing at the winter meetings since he took over, I don't expect that to change this year....especially with all that he has done before the meetings...
    Nothing AA does leaks, he works in dark. So pretty much impossible to guess what he's planning on doing. That said, i dont think we make a big move at the WM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Nothing AA does leaks, he works in dark. So pretty much impossible to guess what he's planning on doing. That said, i dont think we make a big move at the WM.
    I don't either FWIW.

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I’m afraid somebody will give JD the 4th year out of desperation and I hope it’s not us. I don’t see us getting in on the Rendon bidding bc many big teams are involved. Bryant makes The most sense for us if JD signs elsewhere. If a deal can’t be made there then it’s gonna get really tricky for AA.
    Which is more desirable, 1) giving up stud prospects for two years of Bryant or 2) getting 2 good years from JD, 1 average year, and 1 terrible year? I'd rather go with option 2 and save the prospects and then just deal with one year of an albatross.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to tululush For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-09-2019)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Donaldson waiting to sign is a good thing. It gives the Braves time to search the trade market for his replacement.

I’m sure AA already knows essentially the price to bring JD back. The FO is likely weighing that against the cost of other options. This might drag on for a few weeks.
    If the rumor that the Indians don't plan to deal Lindor is true, that simply drives the Donaldson price tag higher IMO. The Yankees have settled in on outbidding everyone for Cole, so the Dodgers likely pivot to Rendon. How good would they be if they added Rendon, brought back Ryu, and beefed up their pen??? They could conceivably even circle back to Cleveland and use secondary pieces to add Hand. This leaves you with the Angels and Gnats battling for Strasburg, and leaves the 4 teams that need Donaldson the most - Gnats, Rangers, Phillies, and Braves to duke it out.

If AA was only competing against one team, there would always be some hope that the local ties and connections might tug on Donaldson a little - the problem here is that all 3 of the other teams in this are going to be more than happy to add that 4th year and go to $100 million to get it done, and I just don't see any way AA can do that unless they expect to eventually push payroll into the $180 million range.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    Which is more desirable, 1) giving up stud prospects for two years of Bryant or 2) getting 2 good years from JD, 1 average year, and 1 terrible year? I'd rather go with option 2 and save the prospects and then just deal with one year of an albatross.
    That “ 1 average year and 1 terrible year” contract is what keeps mid market teams from making necessary upgrades, forces them to trade great players in later stages of arbitration, and compels managers to play a player way past their expiration date in hopes of rebounding their value. It’s basically a death sentence for a team like the Braves, especially when they project to have a weaker farm system at that point due to the international penalties.

There’s also a real possibility with JD that he has leg problems early on in this contract and he basically sinks your Acuna/Albies/Freeman window of contention singlehanded.

The Braves need to be willing to take on a degree of this risk if they want to be elite which is why nearly everyone supports the notion of the 3 year deal.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Mark Bowman

Verified account

@mlbbowman
    9m9 minutes ago
    More
    Not surprising, but there is growing expectation Donaldson will end up with a four-year deal. One thing to keep in mind is the possibility the DH could be added to the NL after the 2021 season.
    Get off my lawn!

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Mark Bowman

Verified account

@mlbbowman
    9m9 minutes ago
    More
    Not surprising, but there is growing expectation Donaldson will end up with a four-year deal. One thing to keep in mind is the possibility the DH could be added to the NL after the 2021 season.
    Shocking that the usual suspects crowed about how nuts I was for floating that idea but have changed their tunes of late.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Jon Morosi

Verified account

@jonmorosi
    5m5 minutes ago
    More
    Source: #Braves, #Indians have not discussed Francisco Lindor in trade talks to any substantive extent. This is noteworthy, as Atlanta is one of a handful of teams with the prospects to satisfy Cleveland’s high asking price. @MLBNetwork @MLB
    Get off my lawn!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-09-2019)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Bowman- Not surprising, but there is growing expectation Donaldson will end up with a four-year deal. One thing to keep in mind is the possibility the DH could be added to the NL after the 2021 season.

If Braves dont sign JD, i'm really not sure what AA is gonna do. Sounds like it would take a HAUL to get Lindor, doubt AA gives Boston a good enough package for Betts. Bryant is the only one and im scared at that cost since i dont think we could re-sign him. And of course Moose is off the board and seems unlikely we get Rendon. Ozuna rumored to CHW as well.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Shocking that the usual suspects crowed about how nuts I was for floating that idea but have changed their tunes of late.
    huh?
    you suggested JD could get 4 years and people said you were nuts? really?
    that's always been a possibility. the Braves just won't be (and shouldn't be) the ones handing it out.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg