Results 2,261 to 2,280 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    poor home/road splits for two years in a row. That's not a small sample. That's actual performance and not something I'm willing to gamble stupid money on.
    Again, I don't want to sign MadBum. But I could stomach it if it were a short deal at a higher AAV (probably the only way I can see AA being interested). The point is more that I just don't view home/road splits as super relevant. I'm much more interested in his spin rates and swinging strike numbers. Those paint a better picture of his actual performance, and in 2019 they trended upwards towards peak levels. That isn't to say I expect his 2016 type of performance though.
    Last edited by Carp; 12-10-2019 at 11:15 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Of course they would want Fried. He alone has more trade value than Bryant.
    Yeah Fried likely has closer to 80-90 million in surplus value. Fried for Bryant straight up is incredibly poor value for us, disregarding the fact that is opens a rotation hole.
    Last edited by Carp; 12-10-2019 at 11:16 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Including inciarte in a trade:

Replacing him is a much smaller hole to address than not having a cleanup hitter.

In fact, you have an adequate defensive CF option in house and one in the minors projected to be ready by 2021.

You can find useful OF all over the place.
    In regards to your last point, wouldn't that also be true for Chicago? Couldn't they simply trade Bryant for dirt cheap MLB players and sign say, Kevin Pillar, and get similar production to what they would get from Ender?
    Last edited by Carp; 12-10-2019 at 11:20 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

Southcack77 (12-10-2019), Super (12-10-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    In regards to your last point, wouldn't that also be true for Chicago? Couldn't they simply trade Bryant for dirt cheap MLB players and sign say, Kevin Pillar, and get similar production to what they would get from Ender?
    yeah, i thought of this after my post...Pillar isn't *that* different than Ender.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    If you had to have a CF sure.

But: Corey Dickerson in a corner. Puig. Brett Gardiner if yankees can't finalize it.

Trade for Marte/Merrifield/Haniger if you are really pushing in chips. Or Peralta.

Jackie Bradley, Jr.

When you consider an aging below average hitter whose value is all tied up in defense this is much much easier thing to deal with than not having a credible offense.
    Doesn't sound like Peralta is an option at this point, apparently the D-Backs think they can make some noise...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...a-bullpen.html
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-10-2019 at 11:33 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Doesn't sound like Peralta is an option at this point, apparently the D-Backs think they can make some noise...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...a-bullpen.html
    DBacks won 85 games last year with a Pythagorean of 88. Sure they'll have to find a way to replace Greinke's 140 innings of 2.90 ERA, but they're winning percentage actually increased after that trade. They're a solid 80-85 win team that could quite easily win 90 games with better luck.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

clvclv (12-10-2019)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    DBacks won 85 games last year with a Pythagorean of 88. Sure they'll have to find a way to replace Greinke's 140 innings of 2.90 ERA, but they're winning percentage actually increased after that trade. They're a solid 80-85 win team that could quite easily win 90 games with better luck.
    Exactly why I think there's no chance they'd entertain the idea of trading Escobar.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    And they probably aren't going to waste time pulling the trigger

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I’m still trying to figure out how the Nats match up well with the Cubs? The Cubs aren’t wanting to rebuild but retool so what MLB ready pieces (especially pitching) do the Nats have to trade?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    What's the likelihood that Ender/folty are moved in some sort of package for haninger/Seager couple with a Bumgarner's acquisition?

That would bring payroll up to the 155 level right?

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    If that 5/100 is a bargaining ploy for Boras to get teams talking then I think the Braves will move on.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    What's the likelihood that Ender/folty are moved in some sort of package for haninger/Seager couple with a Bumgarner's acquisition?

That would bring payroll up to the 155 level right?
    Doesn’t make sense for Seattle.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Doesn’t make sense for Seattle.
    Things can be added or moved around but I feel like that could be a nice neat way to solve all the needs for the remainder of the offseason.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Things can be added or moved around but I feel like that could be a nice neat way to solve all the needs for the remainder of the offseason.
    Seattle isn’t moving those guys unless they decide to rebuild. If rebuilding they have zero need for Folty nor Ender. That package doesn’t make sense. Now you can send prospects to them for those two then try to trade ender and Folty elsewhere. But then why trade Folty and buy madbum. Just keep folty.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Seattle isn’t moving those guys unless they decide to rebuild. If rebuilding they have zero need for Folty nor Ender. That package doesn’t make sense. Now you can send prospects to them for those two then try to trade ender and Folty elsewhere. But then why trade Folty and buy madbum. Just keep folty.
    I get the sense that Folty wont be signing a ling term extension with the Braves so we can capitalize on his value similar to what the rays do. I want anderson to be our fifth starter so swapping out folty for Bumgarner brings more stability to the rotation and it allows is to develop one of our top prospects.

If need be we can trade folty to someone else for prospects if they are heavily weighting how he finished the year last year. I dont think it's crazy to project folty to have 6 WAR the next 3 seasons combined. That could get some really good pieces that can be flipped to seattle if like you say they are trying to rebuild.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Heyman reporting there is a "mystery team" in on Cole....Scott Borass trying to drive up that number
    Get off my lawn!

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Heyman reporting there is a "mystery team" in on Cole....Scott Borass trying to drive up that number
    Dude is going to get 300 million as a pitcher.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I get the sense that Folty wont be signing a ling term extension with the Braves so we can capitalize on his value similar to what the rays do. I want anderson to be our fifth starter so swapping out folty for Bumgarner brings more stability to the rotation and it allows is to develop one of our top prospects.

If need be we can trade folty to someone else for prospects if they are heavily weighting how he finished the year last year. I dont think it's crazy to project folty to have 6 WAR the next 3 seasons combined. That could get some really good pieces that can be flipped to seattle if like you say they are trying to rebuild.
    I don’t know. Seems counterproductive to flip a starter who is cheapish for the next two years and then buy an over 30 starter at 20+ million for five years.
    Coppy

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Snowman (12-10-2019), Super (12-10-2019)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    With the asks for the current main guys still in the stratosphere and the assumption that the $25 million AAV (Donaldson-level) is the amount left to spend, why not hold on to all the young talent?

1.) Sign Ozuna to hit behind Freddie for 4/$68 million - $17 million AAV - you've already given up a pick, why not keep going?

2.) Sign Shaw to platoon with Camargo for 2/$10 million - $5 million AAV - replaces Markakis as the primary LH pinch-hitter next season.

3.) Re-sign Hechavarria as the defensive-minded backup for 1/$3 million - $3 million AAV

4.) Let Newk, Wright, Wilson, and Anderson duke it out for the 5th spot in the rotation while riding the Atlanta/Gwinnett shuttle until someone steps forward and takes the spot.

Buys Riley, Pache, and Waters the entire year in Gwinnett, and keeps all the trade chips in place in the event an unexpected trade for a controllable Ace or 3B drops into AA's lap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Coming back from flukish injuries. Should not impact him in The future.
    Except he had worse splits when he was finally fully healthy...