Page 226 of 289 FirstFirst ... 126176216224225226227228236276 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,520 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Just looking at the Statcast data for Bryant, he was in the 23rd percentile for exit velocity and in the 25th percentile for hard it %... I've been a huge advocate of Bryant but seeing that gives me pause. Still can't argue with the fact that he's generally a .900 OPS producer.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-17-2020)

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    With us filling in our infield like the Nationals have done, it makes me think we’re gonna roll with a platoon/the hot hand at third. Unfortunately, we don’t have Carter Kieboom waiting in the minors for us. This sort of feels like an inevitable upgrade at third at some point during the season. I just hope we don’t get bent over paying a premium at the deadline.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    With us filling in our infield like the Nationals have done, it makes me think we’re gonna roll with a platoon/the hot hand at third. Unfortunately, we don’t have Carter Kieboom waiting in the minors for us. This sort of feels like an inevitable upgrade at third at some point during the season. I just hope we don’t get bent over paying a premium at the deadline.
    I haven’t paid much attention to Kieboom but I doubt as a rookie he will be much better than a Riley/Camargo platoon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Riley shouldn’t be on the MLB roster out of the gate. He needs to be in AAA for a few months. Like Encheff said, he’s a guess hitter and needs to work on off speed recognition. If we don’t upgrade then it’s gonna be Camargo lol. I wouldn’t have guessed that coming into the offseason. Like the bp last offseason AA has misread laid an egg on getting a cleanup hitter so far.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    There are options for an impact bat still available. Someone like Ozuna, Castellanos or Bryant should be able to approximate JDs production without locking into an aging player for 4 super expensive years.

Hopefully AA is able to pull it off.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post
    I haven’t paid much attention to Kieboom but I doubt as a rookie he will be much better than a Riley/Camargo platoon
    The projections have him at .335/.414, which, if they turn out to be accurate, would absolutely be better than Riley/Camargo.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    The projections have him at .335/.414, which, if they turn out to be accurate, would absolutely be better than Riley/Camargo.
    Eh, offensively I feel pretty confident Riley can equal or best that over a full season. But that doesn't mean that's acceptable production.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Eh, offensively I feel pretty confident Riley can equal or best that over a full season. But that doesn't mean that's acceptable production.
    I really, really, really, really doubt Riley can manage a .335 OBP. Not even sure about .300 at this point.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    You're going to crap on any example I give you of players that took millions dollars less than they could have gotten on the open market to get themselves to a place they wanted to be (or stay there).

You know it. I know it.

Players do in fact do that. You know it. I know it.

So what good would providing examples do?

Here is an article with some examples. https://www.businessinsider.com/14-a...ay-cuts-2013-7

Here is one that talks about how stupid it is for players to do this: https://www.theringer.com/2017/7/7/1...s-eaba72bef463

Yes, I know. All these examples are crap. And none of them are specifically about player opt outs, and you win. Predictive conclusory statement repeated with even more force!
    Hate to pile on to that one, but that list doesn't include the obvious local idiots - Maddux (less from the Braves than the Yankees), Smoltz (less from the Braves than any other suitor each time he was a free-agent until the Braves walked away from him at the very end - he discussed the fact that he never considered going anywhere else on Intentional Talk the other day), Glavine (took less than 3 other teams offered him to stay the first time he was a free-agent), Chipper (each time he renegotiated), and Andruw.

None of that really makes any difference - if the folks that love to pile on had actually read earlier posts they'd realize that no one (including me) has suggested that Arenado would give away the leverage he has for nothing in return, but what difference does it make? There are hours worth of ridiculous posts since I argued the semantics of the difference between "absolutely almost no chance" and "a 0% chance" of Arenado even waiving his opt-out at all (money or compensation for doing so hadn't even been mentioned at that point) - something stupid like most things commonly argued around here - that has since evolved into me somehow suggesting that he'd absolutely do it for free because everybody obviously wants to be a Brave.

As you're finding out, only certain people are allowed to make a contrarian point simply for the sake of discussion.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

PawPawMaxwell (01-16-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    I really, really, really, really doubt Riley can manage a .335 OBP. Not even sure about .300 at this point.
    Agree with this. The Nats have a much better safety net at third than we do.

AA needs to get his cleanup hitter. KB, Ozuna or Castellanos. One of them will do, but he needs to add one. Debate +/- for each and pull the trigger. We have the money and we have the prospects.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I keep hearing about concerns with Reilly offensively, but he's unproven defensively at 3b as well. He could be pretty bad.
    thank you weso1!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Was talking about the overall number, as he should have a SLG around. 450 even with an OBP hovering around .300.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    So what stats did you use to predict that Keiboom would far superior to Riley?
    Take a look at the MiLB career stats. Kieboom has the edge in Avg & OBP. Riley has the edge in SLG and OPS.

I would say there is a good chance of them having similar mlb seasons in 20.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to JxnMissFan For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (01-17-2020)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Those same projections have Riley at .307/.471 and Camargo at .326/.439 so I'm not sure what your point is here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    it feels nothing like this lol it feels like Ozuna or Castellanos or a trade for someone like Marte.

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Agree with this. The Nats have a much better safety net at third than we do.

AA needs to get his cleanup hitter. KB, Ozuna or Castellanos. One of them will do, but he needs to add one. Debate +/- for each and pull the trigger. We have the money and we have the prospects.
    Or Puig.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acuña’s Bat Flip View Post
    Or Puig.
    Lol if people complained about the fun and flash that Acuña showed last year, wait until they see a little Puig mixed in. Acuña + Puig = a ton of swag. Lol would be worth the price of admission just to see Jack Flaherty’s head explode.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acuña’s Bat Flip View Post
    Or Puig.
    Given the option, without taking cost into consideration, I think I’d want KB. Knowing there’s a cost associated, and the Cubs are likely asking for too much, I think I’d prefer Ozuna and sacrifice the draft pick. Yes, I know Castellanos doesn’t have a draft pick attached, but I think I’d prefer Ozuna over Castellanos.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to tululush For This Useful Post:

Southcack77 (01-17-2020)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Riley shouldn’t be on the MLB roster out of the gate. He needs to be in AAA for a few months. Like Encheff said, he’s a guess hitter and needs to work on off speed recognition. If we don’t upgrade then it’s gonna be Camargo lol. I wouldn’t have guessed that coming into the offseason. Like the bp last offseason AA has misread laid an egg on getting a cleanup hitter so far.
    I think Riley needs to be on a team with Alex Cora as a bench coach.

24. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

Carp (01-17-2020), gamecock4braves (01-17-2020), Garmel (01-17-2020), Hudson2 (01-17-2020), Snowman (01-17-2020), Tapate50 (01-17-2020), The Chosen One (01-17-2020), TURBO (01-17-2020), UNCBlue012 (01-17-2020), zedsdead (01-17-2020)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    I think Riley needs to be on a team with Alex Cora as a bench coach.
    Beltran is available and hasn't been suspended yet