Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    That's not what I said. I said they would have to return to 2018 form for the Braves not to be better off with Joc, plus Stripling, plus long term commitment freed from Inciarte, plus whatever trade return you get by dealing Inciarte. This was never trade Camargo and Inciarte for Joc. It was trade Camargo and a couple of prospects not in the Braves top 4-5 prospects for Joc and Stripling which allows you to trade Inciarte for best available return.
    You did say that. I even quoted it. And I know you meant the entire trade package, and it's still an entirely absurd statement. If Ender and Camargo return to the 3+ WAR players they were ion 2018, it is next to impossible that such a trade scenario would make the Braves better in the short term or long term, as Ender would have 2 more years left of control and Camargo would have 3. And that's not even considering the value of Wilson or Jenista as long term assets.

A Joc trade boils down to one thing. Does it makes the Braves better? And the answer is, may be marginally in 2018, but that is being pretty pessimistic on Ender, Camargo, and Wilson. And it's much more likely we will be worse off after that. And yes I know Pache and Waters are ready to take over in CF, but there is no guarantee they will pan out. Having several starting caliber CFers is actually a good thing. Quality depth is super important. And supposing Ender does rebound to a ~3 WAR player, he regains much of his lost trade value and allows us to get a much better return in a trade.

Finally, let's be real here. If Joc is a 3 WAR LFer and is sooo much better than Ender as has been suggested, who exactly is going to trade us anything of value for Ender? If he's barely a 1 WIN player, which has already been pointed out are his projections, who is going to give us a starting caliber 3b in exchange for that?
    Last edited by Carp; 02-13-2020 at 10:10 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-13-2020), jpx7 (02-14-2020)