Page 68 of 289 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118168 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    Why? The chances are he won't eclipse that WAR ever again?
    He wouldn’t have to and still be worth the contract.
    Ivermectin Man

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    To be fair...chances were that he wouldn't put up the numbers he did in 2019 at this time last winter as well. I think most people would have been more than happy with a healthy 3+ win season from him to justify his money - the fact that he rewarded AA's confidence by far surpassing that does have to make one worry at least a little that AA adds an extra year (even if it allows him to keep the AAV down a bit) given their history together. I don't think AA gives him $100 million at this point, but I'm not convinced he won't tack on that 4th season just yet. If AA's willing to go 4/$80 million, I don't think there's much chance Donaldson leaves unless the other bidders will go to $100 million.

Somebody's going to screw the pooch and give Donaldson a 4th year to get him - there just aren't enough 3B available to fill the spot for everyone looking (us, Washington, Philadelphia, Milwaukee, Texas, possibly the Angels). Two of those teams are going to end up with a platoon like Dalyn mentioned or Todd Frazier.

Just an opinion (one that plenty don't share), but I think people have jumped ship on Riley a little too quickly. He's struggled every time he's moved up a level and has been fine after having some time to make adjustments. He's had 274 ABs at this level while trying not to embarrass himself while learning to play LF on the fly. Nobody thinks he's going to "replace" Donaldson, but I don't think anybody thinks he's as bad as he was after the advance scouts were able to put together a quick book on him after his opening hot streak either - he's somewhere in between.

I'd rather go the 4/$64 million that Fangraphs projected for Ozuna than give Donaldson that 4th year at $20 (or more) million. If AA's not a believer in Riley at all, jump out there early and give Ozuna 4/64 and Moose 3/36 instead of giving that $80-100 million to Donaldson.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Yeah you are right. The best catcher on the market versus the 3rd best 3d baseman on the market (maybe 2nd if Bryant stays home), tbh.
    eh, this is a slightly silly way to look at things.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Now we are speculating JD will take a $20M discount to the stay with the Braves?

Who here believes an MLB player who has been with a franchise for 1 season will give a 25% hometown discount?

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

salmagundy (11-22-2019), The Chosen One (11-22-2019), UNCBlue012 (11-22-2019)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Way too many IMO. Wouldn't dare take a vote.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    eh, this is a slightly silly way to look at things.
    Not any sillier than lots of other poop I read here and other forums.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Not any sillier than lots of other poop I read here and other forums.
    We try to hold a more intelligent baseball discourse on these forums, so setting the bar at the level of other forums isn't going to fly.

So no, basing a FA's value on where he ranks compared to other current FAs at his position is not how FOs make decisions. A 5 WAR catcher is a 5 WAR catcher regardless of how many other catchers are on the market, or how good they are.

If intelligent baseball discussion isn't your thing, please stick to the kiddie boards located elsewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    We try to hold a more intelligent baseball discourse on these forums, so setting the bar at the level of other forums isn't going to fly.

So no, basing a FA's value on where he ranks compared to other current FAs at his position is not how FOs make decisions. A 5 WAR catcher is a 5 WAR catcher regardless of how many other catchers are on the market, or how good they are.

If intelligent baseball discussion isn't your thing, please stick to the kiddie boards located elsewhere.
    I left this board for months because of arrogant ass holes like yourself before and I can do it again very easily. You don't like what I post put me on ignore. Frankly, I don't understand your constant beratement of clv. Supposedly you sit in Las Vegas and he is way out here in NC. Not much of a threat IMO. But just so you know my response to Super was in response to his criticism of a post I made in response to a post another poster put up in response to one I made to...…………………….Anyway, Im sure you can figure it all out.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Now we are speculating JD will take a $20M discount to the stay with the Braves?

Who here believes an MLB player who has been with a franchise for 1 season will give a 25% hometown discount?
    How many teams were beating down his door to pay him more than the $23 million AA offered him WAY BEFORE anyone signed last winter? Why didn't he hold out for a better offer from them? I'm sure you have first-hand knowledge.

As for whether he would give AA that kind of - or any - discount, I'm going to guess that you have the same amount of first-hand knowledge. He's openly stated several times that he liked it here and is willing to come back. How much he liked it and how much he wants to come back is what they're likely going to be negotiating, and I'd bet they already are.

AA has a number that he won't cross - we all know that. Donaldson's representatives were sent out to test the waters and see if they're going to be able to get 4 year offers for him. What I worry about is that they have already found out that there are going to be multiple teams that will offer that 4th year - where that puts the AAV is inconsequential except to *ricks like you - and that not only does AA cave and say "I'll give you the fourth year, but we simply can't exceed $80 million including any performance bonuses" but that Donaldson accepts it. There's absolutely no reason the Rangers and Angels wouldn't offer the 4th year since they can give him time at DH.

Since you're the "expert" on where these salaries are all going to fall AND you know exactly what the GMs are going to do, should we go back and check your predictions for the Grandal deal? Maybe we should check your unquestionable knowledge about how much money AA is going to spend on the pen this winter? Would you like to tell us again that there's no way that payroll will eclipse $130 million?

Didn't think so. When you finally get one of these right this winter I'm quite sure you'll let us all know. Until then we'll just have to read your posts about how you "miscalculated" but weren't actually wrong.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    We should offer Donaldson a contract for 4 year but with stipulation. First year 23 millions if he reach certain amount of plate appearance that can go up to 25 million. Second year the same. Third and four year mutual option and same stipulation.

This is just a example not the amount of money we should offer.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I left this board for months because of arrogant ass holes like yourself before and I can do it again very easily. You don't like what I post put me on ignore. Frankly, I don't understand your constant beratement of clv. Supposedly you sit in Las Vegas and he is way out here in NC. Not much of a threat IMO. But just so you know my response to Super was in response to his criticism of a post I made in response to a post another poster put up in response to one I made to...…………………….Anyway, Im sure you can figure it all out.
    We berate clvderp because he is an idiot. The fact you can't understand that speaks volumes.

If you're going to threaten to leave, you should make sure anyone cares...

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    How many teams were beating down his door to pay him more than the $23 million AA offered him WAY BEFORE anyone signed last winter? Why didn't he hold out for a better offer from them? I'm sure you have first-hand knowledge.

As for whether he would give AA that kind of - or any - discount, I'm going to guess that you have the same amount of first-hand knowledge. He's openly stated several times that he liked it here and is willing to come back. How much he liked it and how much he wants to come back is what they're likely going to be negotiating, and I'd bet they already are.

AA has a number that he won't cross - we all know that. Donaldson's representatives were sent out to test the waters and see if they're going to be able to get 4 year offers for him. What I worry about is that they have already found out that there are going to be multiple teams that will offer that 4th year - where that puts the AAV is inconsequential except to *ricks like you - and that not only does AA cave and say "I'll give you the fourth year, but we simply can't exceed $80 million including any performance bonuses" but that Donaldson accepts it. There's absolutely no reason the Rangers and Angels wouldn't offer the 4th year since they can give him time at DH.

Since you're the "expert" on where these salaries are all going to fall AND you know exactly what the GMs are going to do, should we go back and check your predictions for the Grandal deal? Maybe we should check your unquestionable knowledge about how much money AA is going to spend on the pen this winter? Would you like to tell us again that there's no way that payroll will eclipse $130 million?

Didn't think so. When you finally get one of these right this winter I'm quite sure you'll let us all know. Until then we'll just have to read your posts about how you "miscalculated" but weren't actually wrong.
    What the...??

You have descended to a new level of stupidity...stretched out to 1000 words.

Grandal's deal fell exactly in line with expectations. My comments about Grandal perhaps preferring a shorter deal with a higher AAV were speculation about what it would take for him to sign with the Braves. Obviously, he didn't prefer 2/40, and the Braves didn't get him. Your lack of reading comprehension is the source of you thinking I was wrong.

I have stated at least a dozen times the splurge on the BP was completely unexpected...as has almost every single competent poster on these boards. Literally nobody saw the Smith move coming. This is another example of you trying to use "you're just as dumb as everyone else" as an insult, and it's very odd.

I have also been continually adjusting my projections for opening day payroll as we get more information,. That's what analysts do...analyze data as it becomes available. I figured $130M, and now we have come to a consensus it may be closer to $140M. This isn't religion...intelligent people understand conclusions change as more data becomes available. The fact you see it as a negative shows how stupid you are.

And no, clown, JD isn't giving the Braves a 25% discount. Now off you go to flex your lifetime membership to the IBWAA and write something about trading Albies for Dee Gordon.

You're an idiot. Everyone here knows you're an idiot. Just accept it and spare us the long rambling posts.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-22-2019 at 01:54 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    We have far more examples of teams paying the hometown player a premium rather than the hometown player taking a discount. Jose Abreu, for example, just got paid $20M more than he would have made on the open market with the qualifying offer attached.

Suffice to say, JD ain’t taking less than what he’s worth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    The feist is real today, I see.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    We have far more examples of teams paying the hometown player a premium rather than the hometown player taking a discount. Jose Abreu, for example, just got paid $20M more than he would have made on the open market with the qualifying offer attached.

Suffice to say, JD ain’t taking less than what he’s worth.
    Wrong...clvderp is a lifetime member of the Internet Baseball Writers Association, and he says JD will give the Braves a 25% discount after playing in Atlanta for 1 season.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Wrong...clvderp is a lifetime member of the Internet Baseball Writers Association, and he says JD will give the Braves a 25% discount after playing in Atlanta for 1 season.
    Bro, it's a long offseason man.
    Forever Fredi

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (11-22-2019), Tapate50 (11-23-2019)

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    I give Touki for Robbie Ray and we can throw in a Aaron Blair...

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    But what about 30 homers and 100 rbi?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    I just want Alex Wood. Eff the haters. Give me #Wood. ;)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts