Results 3,401 to 3,420 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Would love to hear that AA had worked out a Robert/Jimenez-like deal with Pache - not sure how the numbers would have to look since Pache doesn't exactly have their offensive upside (yet), but having inexpensive cost-certainty with three potential All-Stars would be huge for a team in this market. We'd no longer have to worry about gaming his clock, putting Ender in play immediately. If Colorado would eat $50-$70 million worth of Arenado's deal, go ahead and give them Riley, Wright, and Waters. With the Melancon/Hamels/Greene/Markakis/Flowers money coming off the books next winter, you could add Pederson to platoon with Duvall or Camargo with Shewmake taking over as the utility guy. He could then work on a reasonable extension with Freeman and have the entire core under control for pretty much the entirety of Acuna's deal.

It doesn't seem like a good idea to sign Pache to that sort of deal at this time. The biggest question surrounding him at this time is will he hit enough. Giving guaranteed money to a guy with a decent chance of being no better than Harrison Bader doesn't seem like a smart move.

Also, that's a terrible deal for Arenado even considering they would kick in 70 million. That's roughly 90 million in surplus value we are giving up.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-02-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Castellanos is pretty young, i'd go 4 years with him if we miss on JD.
    The issue isn't necessarily his age. He's put up 3 fWAR once in his career and even optimistically the best you can say about his defense at age 27 is that he's below average defender. He probably won't age particularly well and even with the DH, I can't see that 4th year working out all that well.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    DOB confirmed the Braves have gone four years to JD.
    I really hope that 4th year is an option year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    According to His Derpness, JD will be taking a 25% discount to sign with the Braves. If other teams are offering $100M, simple math tells us he will only cost the Braves $75M.

Get this signed already!!
    Last edited by Enscheff; 01-02-2020 at 03:30 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (01-02-2020)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    I'd like JD back but its gonna cost AA a lot more than he thought. We'd save our prospects though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    I'd like JD back but its gonna cost AA a lot more than he thought. We'd save our prospects though.
    This has been as bad as the damn Realmuto saga - just sign the man and move on. From there, we have the prospect capital to make any additional moves.

JD will probably tail off towards the end of the deal but it's the right move.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-02-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    It doesn't seem like a good idea to sign Pache to that sort of deal at this time. The biggest question surrounding him at this time is will he hit enough. Giving guaranteed money to a guy with a decent chance of being no better than Harrison Bader doesn't seem like a smart move.

Also, that's a terrible deal for Arenado even considering they would kick in 70 million. That's roughly 90 million in surplus value we are giving up.
    Hence the reason I mentioned that I didn't know where the numbers would need to be based on the offensive upside compared to Robert and Jimenez. Obviously we're not looking at exactly the same type of deal they got, but something framed the same way with options for years 7 and 8 if he hits. Obviously there's going to be risk involved, but if you believe in Pache as much as the organization appears to, roll the dice and make him one of those guys everyone's been trading their entire systems to Tampa Bay for for years. Those kinds of contracts are what have kept them from having to actually rebuild at any point. I'd try to get Soroka and Fried to agree to deals similar to the one Tampa gave Archer already as well. The "gap" that's going to exist in 3-4 years resulting from Coppygate would be easy to make go away by trading one of those guys for a return like the Rays got for Archer if you still had Acuna, Albies, Freeman, Arenado, and the two of Soroka/Fried/Pache you didn't trade plus the prospects that have already reached A+ ball.

Would it be risky? Sure. With pieces like Acuna, Albies, and potentially Freeman and Arenado for the next 5-7 years, it's probably a gamble worth taking IMO if you're going to have to continue to rely on continued success of The Battery to provide future payroll increases since the current TV deal doesn't expire until after Acuna's deal is up.
    Last edited by clvclv; 01-02-2020 at 03:31 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Only reason I can think of Braves offering 4 years to JD would be they're ok with letting Freddie move on after his contract expires and JD can play first.
    Forever Fredi

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    This has been as bad as the damn Realmuto saga - just sign the man and move on. From there, we have the prospect capital to make any additional moves.

JD will probably tail off towards the end of the deal but it's the right move.
    Not quite Realmuto levels, Realmuto wasnt dealt until the end of February lol. It's barely January hoss. Would have to imagine JD decides within the next 2 weeks. Dont really know what more he is looking for.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    Only reason I can think of Braves offering 4 years to JD would be they're ok with letting Freddie move on after his contract expires and JD can play first.
    Freddie has said a million times he wants to retire a Brave, maybe he wont take an absurd discount but if the money is good, i'd be surprised if AA doesnt sign him to a new deal at some point.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Completely agree. If JD is AA’s guy, he’d let Freddie walk in 2 years and slide him over to first. I know Freddie keeps saying he wants to retire a Brave, but it has to be a 2 way street.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    This could be true but I'd be shocked to see the Braves let Freddie go.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    Completely agree. If JD is AA’s guy, he’d let Freddie walk in 2 years and slide him over to first. I know Freddie keeps saying he wants to retire a Brave, but it has to be a 2 way street.
    Braves have a ton of money off the books after this year. Greene, MM, Hamels, Flowers, Markakis, potentially Duvall and Folty could get non-tendered. I'd be pretty surprised if they dont extend FF. Ozzie, Acuna and Will Smith are the only big deals right now, and i think Ender gets dealt soon. There's plenty of money for FF and JD.

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts
    Folks they’re not letting Freddie walk - that’s preposterous. He’s younger and much better than Josh. If we resign JD he’ll be our 3B the whole time for better or worse unless we get the DH

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Freshmaker For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (01-02-2020)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
    Folks they’re not letting Freddie walk - that’s preposterous. He’s younger and much better than Josh. If we resign JD he’ll be our 3B the whole time for better or worse unless we get the DH
    Signing 1B into their mid to late 30's is rarely a good idea

20. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-02-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Freddie is going to be 32 at the end of his current contract. The likelihood of him being an elite hitter at the end of 2021 isn't very good. It's likely best to wait this one out and see if we can't work out a 3-4 year deal in 2 years. I suppose there is the risk he doesn't decline and could be looking at a 5 year deal in the 150 million range in free agency, but I think waiting is the best play here.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-02-2020)

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Well this could be problematic if Ozuna signs while we sort out what we’ll do with JD. A serious plan B may be gone.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Seems to me Puig could approximate Ozuna's production for a small fraction of the price.

The same can't be said of 3B after JD/KB/Arenado.

Focus on 3B...that's where the available impact players are. Just take a deep breath, brace yourself, and swallow the least horrid overpay for 1 of those 3 guys.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Seems to me Puig could approximate Ozuna's production for a small fraction of the price.

Focus on 3B...that's where the available impact players are. Just take a deep breath, brace yourself, and swallow the least horrid overpay for 1 of those 3 guys.
    I mean, JD only costs money. KB/Nolan cost prospects and money. Need one of them though.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

For some reason I thought Puig already signed with someone, so was shocked to see he's still on the market.
    Forever Fredi