Page 182 of 289 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182183184192232282 ... LastLast
Results 3,621 to 3,640 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    There is a third alternative. Which is what the gnats have done in spreading the $$ among some cheaper options.
    I personally still prefer JD in that case as well. Reason being that I plan on watching the games and would much prefer to watch JD play for us rather than a few mediocre players. But I understand why that third alternative might make more sense. But if all things are close to being equal, I'd rather watch the superstar play.
    thank you weso1!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-05-2020), jpx7 (01-05-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I still think if we wanna be a serious threat that we need one more bat. NC, Ozuna, Marte, or Haniger, any one of those makes us the favorites in the NL. If we sign JD then the first 2 are probably out. I’d say Haniger or Marte fits perfect.
    I agree. They needed a 4 and 5 hole hitter to give them a great lineup.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    So on a slow day, another Harry special:

Braves get: 3B Andujar, OF Frazier, SP Happ

Yankees get: OF Inciarte, SP Folty, RP Greene, SP Muller

Why it works for the Braves: First they don't have to spend $100M on Donaldson which at a minimum is a huge risk. They fill both lineup holes with a RH power 3B and a RH power OF. If Andujar isn't quite ready, Riley starts there until he is. If he is ready, Riley plays everyday in AAA. Frazier starts in RF with Acuna in CF and Markakis in LF until one or both of the AAA OF (Pache or Waters) is ready. Happ backfills for Folty. With the difference in Happ and Folty paired with the difference in Andujar/Frazier and Donaldson (about +17-8-25+2 = +$14M) the Braves could go add a veteran or two for the SP to go with Happ (I would prefer Walker and maybe Wood or Smyly). Instead of spending big money on Donaldson and/or Ozuna or Castellanos you get youth, potential, less cost but more unknowns.

Why it works for the Yankees: They move Happ which they would like to do. They get a LH hitting OF which they would like to do and Inciarte improves their OF defense. They pick up a guy in Folty that the Yankees will probably turn into an ACE (but it's clear that's not going to happen in Atlanta) but if they don't he's short term expense. They add to their bullpen with Greene which they have stated they would like to do. They pick up an SP prospect who would likely be top five in their system right now. The move would leave them a bit thin at 3B if Urshela proves to be fool's gold so Braves might have to add Camargo with another piece coming back from the Yankees (I like Anthony Garcia).

Only real prospect the Braves give up is Muller. Jackson fills the Greene role. Payroll stays relatively low. I would add Addison Russell on a flyer as backup infielder replacing Camargo. I would try to bring in Domingo Santana to backup 1B, corner OF and hit DH when interleague play is in effect.

Lineup:

CF Acuna
    2B Albies
    1B Freeman
    3B Andujar
    LF Markakis
    RF Frazier
    SS Swanson
    C d'Arnaud

Bench: Flowers, Duvall, Russell, Santana, Culberson, util guy

SP: Soroka, Fried, Hamels, Happ, Walker/Smyly

RP: Smith, Melancon, Martin, O'Day, Jackson, Newk, Minter/Dayton

In AAA you'd have: 3B/cOF Riley, OF Pache, OF Waters, RHP Anderson, RHP Wright, RHP Toussaint, RHP Webb, RHP Wilson, RHP Sobotka, RHP J. Walker, RHP Ynoa, RHP Weigel, LHP Davidson, LHP Burrows.

My thinking on Frazier is that his bat is probably no worse than what you would get from either Ozuna or Castellanos over 162 games and possibly better. His defense is likely not significantly worse than either as well with potential to get better. All at significantly less risk and cost.

My thinking on Andujar is that he's obviously talented. You're taking some risk because of the labrum tear and his defense wasn't that great to begin with. However, since you hang on to Riley in this scenario you mitigate that somewhat. If things go right, you have a cheap top 10 type of 3B for the next 4-5 years. If they go wrong, you still have the potential of Riley.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-05-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Who was that old poster that constantly cooked up laughable trade ideas by adding players until he deemed it fair? And then listed out the resulting roster as if we didn’t know who was already on the team?
    Last edited by Enscheff; 01-05-2020 at 02:09 PM.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Who was that old poster that constantly cooked up laughable trade ideas?
    murphysomething

8. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-05-2020)

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Assuming you mean genius trade ideas, it was murph3.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Metaphysicist For This Useful Post:

drewdat (01-05-2020), JohnAdcox (01-05-2020), jpx7 (01-05-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    murphysomething
    Haha that’s right.

Did he also then list out the entire roster with the new players added as if we didn’t already know who was on it before the trade?

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Hey,

Just amusing myself and sharing for debate. By all means, if you don't like it, please feel free to go back to your pissing matches.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (01-05-2020), JohnAdcox (01-05-2020), mfree80 (01-05-2020)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Excellent point. Now is the perfect time to splurge on the perfect hitter in the medium term. Whether or not that hitter is JD is certainly open for debate, but AA clearly loves the guy.
    JD would be the only long term contract I would consider as a “bad” contract, and there is a possibility it could just turn out to be an average deal.

AA has done a good job working around the International restrictions, to minimize future roster problems. How many GMs (given the farm we have), would still be holding on to this many prospects.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Guys, what if the Braves and Astros did the following trade:

Braves get: Altuve, Springer, Bregman, Verlander

Astros get: Albies, Acuna, Soroka, Pache

Why it works for the Braves: the Braves replace their 2B with another one, replace their star OF with another one, replace their good pitcher with another one, and add the 3b they need.

Why it works for the Astros: they replace their players with guys that are younger and cheaper. Since they already have a flag to stare at, they don’t need to go all in this year.

In case anyone can’t figure out where these guys would play, The Braves lineup becomes:

1b - Freeman
    2B - Altuve
    3b - Bregman
    SS - Swanson
    LF - Markakis/Duvall
    CF - Inciarte
    RF - Springer

SP - Verlander, Fried, Folty, Ham, young guy.

If anyone needs the AAA roster as well I can list it out. Just let me know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Guys, what if the Braves and Astros did the following trade:

Braves get: Altuve, Springer, Bregman, Verlander

Astros get: Albies, Acuna, Soroka, Pache

Why it works for the Braves: the Braves replace their 2B with another one, replace their star OF with another one, replace their good pitcher with another one, and add the 3b they need.

Why it works for the Astros: they replace their players with guys that are younger and cheaper. Since they already have a flag to stare at, they don’t need to go all in this year.

In case anyone can’t figure out where these guys would play, The Braves lineup becomes:

1b - Freeman
    2B - Altuve
    3b - Bregman
    SS - Swanson
    LF - Markakis/Duvall
    CF - Inciarte
    RF - Springer

SP - Verlander, Fried, Folty, Ham, young guy.

If anyone needs the AAA roster as well I can list it out. Just let me know.
    Double A lineup to if you get time..

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-05-2020), jpx7 (01-05-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    In the name of being forward-looking we need to:

1) Acquire a DH type hitter for when the DH comes to the NL

2) A catcher who can't frame for when the robo umps take over

Those are my two favorite trade ideas for this off-season. It seems to me that so far AA has failed by not looking ahead to those developments. That's all I got.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    The real innovators won’t even use a catcher with nobody on base when robo umps take over. Just have the pitcher fire the ball to the backstop, and enjoy the extra defender.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    In the name of being forward-looking we need to:

1) Acquire a DH type hitter for when the DH comes to the NL
    Bryce Ball says hi.
    thank you weso1!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-05-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    So on a slow day, another Harry special:

Braves get: 3B Andujar, OF Frazier, SP Happ

Yankees get: OF Inciarte, SP Folty, RP Greene, SP Muller

Why it works for the Braves: First they don't have to spend $100M on Donaldson which at a minimum is a huge risk. They fill both lineup holes with a RH power 3B and a RH power OF. If Andujar isn't quite ready, Riley starts there until he is. If he is ready, Riley plays everyday in AAA. Frazier starts in RF with Acuna in CF and Markakis in LF until one or both of the AAA OF (Pache or Waters) is ready. Happ backfills for Folty. With the difference in Happ and Folty paired with the difference in Andujar/Frazier and Donaldson (about +17-8-25+2 = +$14M) the Braves could go add a veteran or two for the SP to go with Happ (I would prefer Walker and maybe Wood or Smyly). Instead of spending big money on Donaldson and/or Ozuna or Castellanos you get youth, potential, less cost but more unknowns.

Why it works for the Yankees: They move Happ which they would like to do. They get a LH hitting OF which they would like to do and Inciarte improves their OF defense. They pick up a guy in Folty that the Yankees will probably turn into an ACE (but it's clear that's not going to happen in Atlanta) but if they don't he's short term expense. They add to their bullpen with Greene which they have stated they would like to do. They pick up an SP prospect who would likely be top five in their system right now. The move would leave them a bit thin at 3B if Urshela proves to be fool's gold so Braves might have to add Camargo with another piece coming back from the Yankees (I like Anthony Garcia).

Only real prospect the Braves give up is Muller. Jackson fills the Greene role. Payroll stays relatively low. I would add Addison Russell on a flyer as backup infielder replacing Camargo. I would try to bring in Domingo Santana to backup 1B, corner OF and hit DH when interleague play is in effect.

Lineup:

CF Acuna
    2B Albies
    1B Freeman
    3B Andujar
    LF Markakis
    RF Frazier
    SS Swanson
    C d'Arnaud

Bench: Flowers, Duvall, Russell, Santana, Culberson, util guy

SP: Soroka, Fried, Hamels, Happ, Walker/Smyly

RP: Smith, Melancon, Martin, O'Day, Jackson, Newk, Minter/Dayton

In AAA you'd have: 3B/cOF Riley, OF Pache, OF Waters, RHP Anderson, RHP Wright, RHP Toussaint, RHP Webb, RHP Wilson, RHP Sobotka, RHP J. Walker, RHP Ynoa, RHP Weigel, LHP Davidson, LHP Burrows.

My thinking on Frazier is that his bat is probably no worse than what you would get from either Ozuna or Castellanos over 162 games and possibly better. His defense is likely not significantly worse than either as well with potential to get better. All at significantly less risk and cost.

My thinking on Andujar is that he's obviously talented. You're taking some risk because of the labrum tear and his defense wasn't that great to begin with. However, since you hang on to Riley in this scenario you mitigate that somewhat. If things go right, you have a cheap top 10 type of 3B for the next 4-5 years. If they go wrong, you still have the potential of Riley.

IIRC, he was the worst-rated defensive 3B in a while - Bowden's even considering him as a 1B in any of the crazy trade ideas he comes up with to kill time too.

No thanks - afraid I'm not interested in Andujar even with the bat. If Donaldson re-signs, we've got more than enough candidates to use at DH in two years.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    If Donaldson re-signs, we've got more than enough candidates to use at DH in two years.
    would be yuge
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Arizona Fall Leaguer Sheffield10's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Some people are saying “it’s a huge risk and people will learn/regret”

Some people are saying “it’s a perfect time to splurge”

One person said both these exact things and is as lost as always. Frail.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    JD for 4 years can be both a big risk, and a risk taken at the best possible time.

Logic...it’s not your thing. Too limited mentally.

Neither is playing baseball apparently. Too limited physically.

Derp
    Last edited by Enscheff; 01-05-2020 at 05:45 PM.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I still think we need two 120 plus wrc + bats added. I was thinking it’s a sign and a trade.

I still think that happens. I think the waiting on jd is us exploring options.

My guess is aa is trying to get someone to sell a dollar for 5 quarters or maybe 2 fifty cent pieces and some dimes.

I do think we have some clutter on the 40 man and if we can find someone to bite on the poo poo platter then it’s worth it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Apparently the Angels and Indians discussed Mike Clevinger and the ask was Adell plus.