Page 196 of 289 FirstFirst ... 96146186194195196197198206246 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,920 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Yes but Thames isn’t going to stop them from finding a spot for Donaldson.

If we see one of these teams trade for Arenado/Bryant/Seager then I could see Donaldson’s camp re-evaluate their situation.
    True but they got some of these guys so they didn’t have to get in a bidding war and be left with nothing. They gave their offer and aren’t planning on raising it imo.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-10-2020)

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Yes but Thames isn’t going to stop them from finding a spot for Donaldson.

If we see one of these teams trade for Arenado/Bryant/Seager then I could see Donaldson’s camp re-evaluate their situation.
    Neither Washington or Minnesota is trading for Arenado. And I doubt Washington trades for KB with the asking price the Cubs are looking for. Minnesota is pretty worthless and won’t do anything.

So it boils down to us or Washington for Donaldson, and if we miss out we’ll likely settle for someone like Castellanos for cheaper, and then fill 3rd with Riley and Camargo. And if Washington misses out on JD, they’ll likely stand pat with their volume of lesser signings thus far.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    Neither Washington or Minnesota is trading for Arenado. And I doubt Washington trades for KB with the asking price the Cubs are looking for. Minnesota is pretty worthless and won’t do anything.

So it boils down to us or Washington for Donaldson, and if we miss out we’ll likely settle for someone like Castellanos for cheaper, and then fill 3rd with Riley and Camargo. And if Washington misses out on JD, they’ll likely stand pat with their volume of lesser signings thus far.
    Or Minnesota signs Donaldson 4 years / 100 million tomorrow. The bottom line is no one knows and any conjecture that a team is “out on Donaldson” is without merit until either he signs or they make a move of consequence that precludes his signing.

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts
    With the Cards - Rays trade, it seems a lot more likely that they bring Ozuna back. That would be one more impact bat off the table if we do end up losing out on JD

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    Because Bryant is the better player and is versatile and carries far less risk. Post-2021 you just swap out 1 of Bryant or Freeman for Waters.
    Bryant's a better player than Castellanos, Riley, Anderson, and Wilson or Wright combined?

*amn - he's good!!!
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Bryant's a better player than Castellanos, Riley, Anderson, and Wilson or Wright combined?

*amn - he's good!!!
    he will probably out-fWAR them combined next year pretty easily...yeah.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Lol. No. I just don’t know why you ranted like that while quoting what I said. And why would Boston trade Bette for FF. Go be a dummy on reddit please.

And I do like a good wine.
    And your the expert on here? 12,000 posts Do you have a life beside judging if someones opinion doesn't meet your standards. How many Championships have the Braves won with you as the face of the franchise? I've been a Braves fan since 1957 and I think I know as much about baseball as you'll ever know. Go be a bully on Redditt !

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Using that as the criteria for deciding to trade for him, why not put Pache or Waters in the deal and pull the trigger then? He'll out-fWAR the group in 2020 if you replaced Riley with one of them as well.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    I think so too, but I also think it'll likely be closer than you think. I believe in the improved defense of Castellanos and I believe he'll have his best season of his career. If he puts up say, 3.5-4 fWAR, the rest of the group would need to combine for roughly 1.5-2 fWAR to make up the difference (may be less). A tall task for a group that hasn't proven anything, but not impossible given the aggregate talent.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elmore80 View Post
    And your the expert on here? 12,000 posts Do you have a life beside judging if someones opinion doesn't meet your standards. How many Championships have the Braves won with you as the face of the franchise? I've been a Braves fan since 1957 and I think I know as much about baseball as you'll ever know. Go be a bully on Redditt !
    I have been a fan of planes since I was ten. Doesn’t mean I know **** about them. I am not the one who randomly said we should trade FF for Betts. Or that I am tired of the Braves paying old players when the Braves were one of the youngest teams in the league. Maybe another 50 years will make you realize that just watching baseball doesn’t make you smart about baseball.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    The average difference over the course of a season between 1st and 2nd is 14. 14 fewer PAs with probably 50 more runners on when batting? Abso-freaking-lutely.
    Well some had suggested he hit 4th. Not that I'm advocating we leave him at leadoff, but what makes Swanson and Inciarte good choices? Neither are OBP machines.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    Oh right you guys like to wine about payroll all winter and then give these aging superstars 100 mil apiece. Same old story here.

I'm not sure what that has to do with Betts for Freeman. Red Sox undoubtedly reject such a trade as the point of them trading Betts is to cut payroll and receive cheap, controllable talent. Not to mention it fills one hole for us, while creating another and not addressing 3b at all. And with Betts being a FA at the end of the year, it would actually create 2 holes for 2021.

A terrible idea is a terrible idea, and how many years on fandom you have doesn't change that.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (01-10-2020), jpx7 (01-10-2020)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Well some had suggested he hit 4th. Not that I'm advocating we leave him at leadoff, but what makes Swanson and Inciarte good choices? Neither are OBP machines.
    I was very specifically answering to him batting second, which is where you should bat your best hitter. I do agree fourth would be too far down.

Edit: I'd also drop Freddie to cleanup and bat someone with less power third, as only leadoff comes up with the bases empty more often than the third hitter. It would similarly be sacrificing a very small number of PAs, fewer than 20 across 162 games, to gain more RBI oppos for the best hitters.
    Last edited by Snowman; 01-10-2020 at 09:27 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Marcell Ozuna indicated in an interview on Z101 in the Dominican Republic on Thursday that he's going to sign with either the Cardinals or Rangers.

The Reds had been mentioned as a finalist for the outfielder, but it sounds like they're out after signing Shogo Akiyama. Ozuna reiterated his preference to re-sign with the Cards, but it sounds like the Rangers might currently be offering more money. Perhaps St. Louis could consider upping their bid after they traded a couple more outfielders on Thursday. A resolution with Ozuna's situation should come before long. The 29-year-old is coming off a campaign that saw him bat .241/.328/.472 with 29 homers and 89 RBI.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    1 hour to go for teams and Arby eligible players to exchange figures. AA is going to be busy settling all the Arby salaries. I guess he'll make time for Donaldson although IMO he should get out of Donaldson's barrel and move on to plans "B: or "C".
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Vs their platoon advantages they are very good choices. Dansby had a .349 OBP vs LHP last year has been at .350 or higher vs LHP every year except 2018 (which is clearly the outlier and brings down his career numbers). Ender has a .342 lifetime OBP vs RHP, though admittedly, that number has trended downward the last couple of years. You could also use Neck (.368 career OBP vs RHP) or Ozzie (.386 career OBP vs RHP) at leadoff instead of Ender. Any way you cut it, with our current roster, the best option at leadoff is some sort of platoon with Swanson vs LHP and Neck/Ozzie/Ender vs RHP.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-10-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Using that as the criteria for deciding to trade for him, why not put Pache or Waters in the deal and pull the trigger then? He'll out-fWAR the group in 2020 if you replaced Riley with one of them as well.
    this is a silly leap in logic, not that i'm surprised.
    there are plenty of reasons why a team, if able, would rather sign JD and trade for KB instead of signing JD and NC and not trading prospects. one is because of risk - NC's contract will probably be much riskier than KB's. another is talent: KB is an elite player, NC is merely solid. another is versatility. another is the opportunity to sell high on Riley, if the FO is of the belief they'd be doing so and the Cubs see him as a prize.
    Pache is a different level of prospect.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

Carp (01-10-2020), jpx7 (01-10-2020), Snowman (01-10-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Eveyone...

Please meet the newest aggressively ignorant moron to stumble through this site acting like he knows more than the posters here.

Let's extend the usual warm welcome.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Carp (01-10-2020), salmagundy (01-10-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Folty actually got at least 500k less than I thought he would get. Swanson was right at the salary I figured he get.