Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Pache/Acuna/Ozuna

That’s a fun outfield.

FYI - Ozuna’s closest Statcast comp... Freddie

Basically a perfect outcome for us.
    Even next year we could have 10+ WAR coming from Ozuna/Ender/Acuna if Ender can stay healthy.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts
    Ideally, this signing mitigates the Snitker factor of giving Markakis 500 at bats next year which is basically like adding an additional win.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Ideally, this signing mitigates the Snitker factor of giving Markakis 500 at bats next year which is basically like adding an additional win.
    that too. it seems likely Snit would've made Markakis basically the FT guy again with not nearly enough days off. now he shifts to the bench where he should be.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Just looking at projected salaries, I thought signing Ozuna made the most sense of any free agent when the offseason began.

I wish rather than re-sign markakis they'd signed Travis Shaw or Starlin Castro.

Seems like Bryant, Brian Anderson, Seager or some highly improbable Matt Chapman deal that might not even be possible are the best possible trades on the board.

They probably just try to get by with what they got, though.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,759 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    that too. it seems likely Snit would've made Markakis basically the FT guy again with not nearly enough days off. now he shifts to the bench where he should be.
    You guys have way more faith in Snit executing a platoon than I do.

Ideally it'd be Neck-Duvall platoon. And if it's a lefty on the mound Ozuna-Acuna-Duvall.
    Forever Fredi

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    An ideal March would be to find out that Solarte's got one late-career renaissance year left in him and that he can be successfully platooned with Camargo and provide you a second switch-hitter.

Was this the "ideal" result? Maybe not, but it's about as close as it gets. No "large" long-term commitments, and AA still has all the pieces.

Perfect? Not quite, but considering all this cost us was a draft pick that's a *elluva result.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post

Ideally it'd be Neck-Duvall platoon. And if it's a lefty on the mound Ozuna-Acuna-Duvall.
    Nick will get his AB's, but Ozuna/Acuna will get the lions share of AB's, and Ender/Nick probably the other, maybe Duvall/Acuna/Ozuna vs a tough lefty if he's kept.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Kinda have to feel like this signing was AA finally signaling he's going to take that out of Snitker's hands. There's not really a need for a blockbuster that includes Ender at this point, so Snit's probably just been given his everyday lineup,
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts

In this scenario, I am assuming no platoon with Nick. He would be a start once a week guy and top bat off the bench guy (basically the Matt Joyce role).

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,759 Posts
    In this scenario, I am assuming no platoon with Nick. He would be a start once a week guy and top bat off the bench guy (basically the Matt Joyce role).
    Snit is too loyal to Neck. Neck is the guy that threatened to go up to the front office if they fired Snit. I would like to hear straight from AA's mouth that Markakis has been reduced to a bench role.
    Forever Fredi

11. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Snowman (01-22-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I'd have rather had Matt Joyce for that role. Would have saved 3-4 million and at least you know Joyce knows how to handle it.

That said, entirely possible markakis has a nice year and contributes.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Anyone comfortable with Camargo being an every day 3b is a little delusional.

Given everything else Atlanta has sacrificed this offseason, AA should still be working to correct that deficiency, but perhaps there is no rush.

I think finding a young player there would be ideal. Senzel, Anderson, the Yankee position battle loser, Matt Chapman the moon shot if we are dreaming.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Anyone comfortable with Camargo being an every day 3b is a little delusional.

Given everything else Atlanta has sacrificed this offseason, AA should still be working to correct that deficiency, but perhaps there is no rush.

I think finding a young player there would be ideal. Senzel, Anderson, the Yankee position battle loser, Matt Chapman the moon shot if we are dreaming.
    I'd argue that the "ideal" follow-up to the Ozuna signing would be adding Holt to platoon with Camargo with Duvall's money and cutting him loose - would like to see what the projections would look like if that happened. You'd still have Riley and Waters as potential second-half additions, and you wouldn't really need a platoon partner for Markakis anymore.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skillet View Post
    I do see that he is projected for 3. Possible but unlikely given he's only reached that level twice in seven years. But let's go with the 3, adding 2 War is worth $16MM, not $18MM plus the pick. So yes, I am correct, but sorry, all of us can't be.
    1 WAR is worth about 9 million, so you're wrong again. The difference in a 3 WAR player and a 1 WAR player is quite substantial. This is a fantastic deal that makes the roster so much deeper and able to absorb injuries and give players rest.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Snit is too loyal to Neck. Neck is the guy that threatened to go up to the front office if they fired Snit. I would like to hear straight from AA's mouth that Markakis has been reduced to a bench role.
    Nick is all but assumed a bench role lol, stop being uptight.

Ozuna/Acuna everyday OF'ers, and some combo of Duvall/Nick/Ender. He'll get AB's, but it wont be near 500+, and he's a weapon off the bench late in games.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I do see that he is projected for 3. Possible but unlikely given he's only reached that level twice in seven years. But let's go with the 3, adding 2 War is worth $16MM, not $18MM plus the pick. So yes, I am correct, but sorry, all of us can't be.
    That's not how you value WAR chief.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    One nice thing about the one year deal is that it shouldn’t hold us back from trading for a player like Bryant or Lindor and then paying them.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    One nice thing about the one year deal is that it shouldn’t hold us back from trading for a player like Bryant or Lindor and then paying them.
    Both of them probably want to hit FA, but if payroll is in 150-160 range, i guess we could afford a 30+ million guy. We'll need some of these prospects to hit though.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    That's not how you value WAR chief.
    It's not? Then I stand corrected. I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know how that is calculated. Apparently I've misunderstood how that's done all this time.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    It's not? Then I stand corrected. I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know how that is calculated. Apparently I've misunderstood how that's done all this time.
    You don't value a contract based on how much it improves over your internal options. A player worth 3 WAR isn't worth 16 million because he is replacing a 1 WAR player. He's still worth 24 million.