Results 5,121 to 5,140 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    The only thing I can think of is that Senzel is a 3b by trade and the Reds have 3b already locked down with Suarez and they just signed Akiyama for CF, which is where he spent pretty much all of 2019. But it seems people don't fully appreciate Senzel's position flexibility and how valuable that is (along with his cost) to a team like the Reds. I mean he was slightly worse than league average defensively in his first meaningful experience in CF. Certainly you would expect him to be able to slide to a corner OF spot and provide at least league average defense there. He also has experience at 2b and could play SS in a pinch.

All of that equals up to a pretty valuable piece and not someone the Reds are likely to move for unproven prospects. More likely, if he was actually available, they would be looking for a major upgrade of an already proven player. Someone like Corey Seagar or Francisco Lindor.

I don't necessarily agree with what the Reds have been doing, but trading Senzel for major league players at positions that they want to upgrade would fit right in with all of the other moves they have made.

Especially considering he has been somewhat disappointing, has a concerning medical history, and his natural position is occupied by a better player. They may no longer see him as having star upside.

If they can get what they would consider a return that would help them now, I think they might be on board.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    And yeah, i dont think they're looking to trade Senzel just to trade him but i dont even know if a Lindor move makes sense since i doubt he'd re-sign there.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    The Rockies' front office must be some kind of special dumb. It was their idea for Arenado's opt out? How stupid is that??

Perhaps it lowered the price point.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    But since Bauer could leave next winter, i guess if the haul was big enough they'd move him for controllable pieces.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    And yeah, i dont think they're looking to trade Senzel just to trade him but i dont even know if a Lindor move makes sense since i doubt he'd re-sign there.
    They don't seem particularly worried about the long term. I think they are just tired of being irrelevant and want to be exciting and are willing to move assets that they aren't fully behind to get there. This is probably an ownership directive and it will probably end up with their front office getting fired when it turns out to have been ill advised.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,049 Posts
    I've always been a big fan on Senzel. I'm not sure the Reds would be willing to trade him and if the are, I'm not sure the price is low enough to justify the risk at this point. Still, at the right price point, I'd be interested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I still can’t believe the Bryant grievance hasn’t been settled yet.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (01-27-2020), JohnAdcox (01-27-2020), Tapate50 (01-27-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Not sure I'd want to give what it'd take to get Senzel... for where we are in our window, its a bit of a gamble to bet on a guy who just put up a 90 wRC+ in his rookie year. A very similar gamble to just going with Riley and his 86 wRC+

And I'm pretty sure Riley would be a better defender at 3rd than Senzel... I just don't see a lot of clear upside compared to what we already have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Would it take THAT much to get a guy coming off shoulder surgery?

I get it wouldn’t take trade fodder but I’m not sure it would take a top guy.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I don't necessarily agree with what the Reds have been doing, but trading Senzel for major league players at positions that they want to upgrade would fit right in with all of the other moves they have made.

Especially considering he has been somewhat disappointing, has a concerning medical history, and his natural position is occupied by a better player. They may no longer see him as having star upside.

If they can get what they would consider a return that would help them now, I think they might be on board.
    I don't see how the Braves fit into that view though. Riley, Waters, Wright, Anderson, Wilson, Touki, and even Newk all have varying degrees of value and could certainly help a team win this year, but they are far from proven commodities. Teams simply don't trade players like Senzel for prospects very often. If the Reds were to trade him, they need impact players who are proven. I mean at some point we could offer a trade package so overwhelmingly over Senzel's surplus value that the Reds would have no choice but to make such a trade, but that would be pretty dumb of us to do and AA would never do such a thing.

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Castellanos is only 27, so it's not terrible. But i think AA wanted whichever one would take the 1 year deal.
    I might've preferred Castellanos if we didn't have Pache and Waters nearly ready.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyTrain For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-27-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I don't see how the Braves fit into that view though. Riley, Waters, Wright, Anderson, Wilson, Touki, and even Newk all have varying degrees of value and could certainly help a team win this year, but they are far from proven commodities. Teams simply don't trade players like Senzel for prospects very often. If the Reds were to trade him, they need impact players who are proven. I mean at some point we could offer a trade package so overwhelmingly over Senzel's surplus value that the Reds would have no choice but to make such a trade, but that would be pretty dumb of us to do and AA would never do such a thing.

I didn't realize until I started thinking about trades how relatively low I am on Senzel.

Here is a floor pick in a weak top line draft, who has had a concerning injury history. His drafting team has repeatedly signed over him as it has moved him around the diamond. Now it's perhaps signaling it is willing to move him, which is not something teams that think they have a high end talent generally do.

I usually am pretty willing to move prospects in hypothetical trades, but I find my comfort level is topping out at the pu-pu platter level.

Newk, Greene. Plus stuff. That's pretty bad rosterbation, but it's the way I feel. I'm usually willing to part with more on the prospect level at least for players I like. I guess I don't like Senzel that much.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Sounds like the DH may happen league wide, i'm kinda ok with this. The AL has had a major advantage with free agency/trades with the DH. Like Edwin for 1/10 is a damn steal of a deal but no NL team could sign him because of the no DH.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Sounds like the DH may happen league wide, i'm kinda ok with this. The AL has had a major advantage with free agency/trades with the DH. Like Edwin for 1/10 is a damn steal of a deal but no NL team could sign him because of the no DH.
    This is going to be tough for me personally. I've always found AL games boring and unwatchable because of the DH.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Snowman For This Useful Post:

Carp (01-27-2020), CrazyTrain (01-28-2020), Metaphysicist (01-27-2020), salmagundy (01-27-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Bryce Ball... your 2021 Braves DH

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    What would you give up for senzel? Reds don’t need of prospects.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Okay somebody is gonna have to explain this Senzel **** to me. I know the Reds are kinda dumb, but why in God's name would they trade a guy that they control for another 5 or 6 years, on a rookie scale contract, who has a top 5 prospect pedigree, is super versatile, and has the upside of an all star caliber hitter. I've seen his name come up over and over and over again. This seems like one of the dumbest rumors that this board has come up with.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...de-rumors.html

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    I'm not really taking that seriously until it's reported by someone not named Jon Heyman, TBH.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    I'm not really taking that seriously until it's reported by someone not named Jon Heyman, TBH.
    You may not trust Heyman but he’s definitely a credible reporter.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    You may not trust Heyman but he’s definitely a credible reporter.
    Define credible. He's pretty regularly wrong on everything not involving Boras clients, with at least 20 incidents over the years in which he has been so utterly wrong he has gone back and deleted what he'd reported and pretended it never happened, always refusing to ever retract or apologize, even in a couple of cases where he flat out defamed people with false reporting. This is not my definition of credible.