Page 9 of 289 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    Please for the love of god no more Markakis. I’d be much happier working a Joyce/Duvall platoon in LF
    I'd be much happier with Marte in LF!!

With no Snits, Markakis would be a nice bench piece at 6 mil, but a 4 mil saving by dropping him(2 mil buyout).

There is much money to be gained by dropping several pitchers. Swarzak(8 mil), O'Day(9 mil), Teheran 12 mil minus 1 mil buyout for 11 mil), Keuchel 13 mil.. There's 41 mil.

Does 41 mil begin to cover signing Grandal, Marte and a Donaldson increase??

Remember 2019 opening day was 115.2 mil plus a little.

Adding the 2 relievers(Melancon 14 mil, Greene 6.5 (2020 Arby projection), who will remain in 2020 takes about half of the 41 mil dropped. A raise of 15-18 mil opening day adds the pop and true needs of the positional needs(C,LF, and 3B of Donaldson) and be close to the closing 2018 payroll.

Other drops/non tenders would cove any additional Arby increases.
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    I think AA will want financial flexibility again during the deadline.
    Forever Fredi

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Phillies fires Kapler...

Don’t think Snit would be gone this offseason. There are now 8 open spots or so
    Their GM/higher ups are a bigger issue than Kapler.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Earlier this season I thought it was a no brainer to bring back Neck because it is only a $4m decision ($2m buyout guaranteed regardless) but at this point I’d rather him be gone
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I will pay your Chopcountry membership dues if Cole gets 35 million or more on AVV. He'll need to get 7/245 in order to do that. Certainly possible, but I don't see it. I'm gonna guess 7/220. Barely breaking Price's record for pitchers.
    my response was to him getting just $25MM
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Cole will get 30+ a year, maybe 35 is a stretch but he's getting 30+ with relative ease.

However teams are being alot more smart about contracts now in length, so i could see a team offer, say 5/200, 40 mil AAV but shorter years.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    So you are looking at

Acuna
    Albies
    Freeman
    Donaldson
    Grandal

Markakis
    Swanson
    Inciarte

(Duvall, Riley, Pache?)

Yeah, that probably works from a hitting standpoint.

Soroka
    Fried
    Folty
    ?
    ?

Melancon
    Greene
    Jackson

Solid start of a pitching staff, but the devil is in the details. Braves got very little out of the internal options to fill it out last year. And of course they Braves also had awful luck. If it repeated season go
    Seems like a good framework of a plan. Either Grandal plus JD, or Grandal plus Mous plus a good OFer should probably be the plan for position players.

I also expect AA to find a solid SP on a 1-2 year deal, either through FA or trade. Kluber coming off a down year might be a pretty good candidate, though I haven’t dug into any numbers yet. Bumgarner is another guy that might be had on a short deal.

There are also going to be a lot of trade targets popping up. I suspect the Braves have a few guys they will trade if another team overvalued them, so who knows what might come of that.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Seems like a good framework of a plan. Either Grandal plus JD, or Grandal plus Mous plus a good OFer should probably be the plan for position players.

I also expect AA to find a solid SP on a 1-2 year deal, either through FA or trade. Kluber coming off a down year might be a pretty good candidate, though I haven’t dug into any numbers yet. Bumgarner is another guy that might be had on a short deal.

There are also going to be a lot of trade targets popping up. I suspect the Braves have a few guys they will trade if another team overvalued them, so who knows what might come of that.
    Kluber could be interesting. The Indians have stated that they'll pick up his option, but I think it might be in the hope that someone overvalues him on the trade market and they can get some solid assets back. If that market doesn't develop the way they want it to, he could be the guy to take a bit of a risk on. The price has to be right, though. I'm not sure I would pay much more than a 40/45 FV plus agreeing to take on most/all of his contract.

I think if anything like that is going to happen, it'll be later on in the offseason after the Indians have explored and failed in other avenues trying to move him. Its not likely, but we've seen teams try to squeeze too much from their assets before.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Outside the box idea to improve rotation and pen:

Folty, Shane Greene, and Kyle Wright for Kluber and Hand.

Pick up JT's option

5th man is one of Newk, Touki, Anderson, Wilsona

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Besides. Will anyone want Cole after he gets lit up tonight?
    Reeeeeally got lit up tonight.
    Enscheff is F@G

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacheaholic View Post
    Reeeeeally got lit up tonight.
    30+ million guaranteed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Marte has 2 more years left at 11.5 and 12.5
    Say Donaldson would accept 2/50
    Grandal 2/40

That’s 56.5 million added right there. I think they could honestly swing it and I expect payroll to go up may 5-10 million for next year in our contention window. Or you could probably sign Moose for 12 million and get 30 homer production for a lot less. So would y’all rather get Donaldson or Moose? Getting Moose would leave us another 10 million to upgrade the rotation and adding those 3 guys is definitely doable and would really strengthen and lengthen the lineup.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

salmagundy (10-11-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Marte has 2 more years left at 11.5 and 12.5
    Say Donaldson would accept 2/50
    Grandal 2/40

That’s 56.5 million added right there. I think they could honestly swing it and I expect payroll to go up may 5-10 million for next year in our contention window. Or you could probably sign Moose for 12 million and get 30 homer production for a lot less. So would y’all rather get Donaldson or Moose? Getting Moose would leave us another 10 million to upgrade the rotation and adding those 3 guys is definitely doable and would really strengthen and lengthen the lineup.
    Just guessing without access to data on my work pc, but I’m thinking the Braves should be able to sport a ~$130m opening day payroll with $10m-$15m left in reserve if they are in contention and need to make additions mid year.

I’ll start my 2020 payroll tracking tomorrow when I get in the office

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Just guessing without access to data on my work pc, but I’m thinking the Braves should be able to sport a ~$130m opening day payroll with $10m-$15m left in reserve if they are in contention and need to make additions mid year.

If they can get up to a 130 million dollar opening day payroll (or mayyyyyybbbeeee squeeze in 135), then I think we'll be able to replace the production that we are losing this year.

The one massive hindrance right now is the Melancon deal. That deal was puzzling at the time and now it looks like it could seriously hamper us this offseason. That 14-19 million (whichever it is) could go a long way toward filling our holes with big time talent.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    If they can get up to a 130 million dollar opening day payroll (or mayyyyyybbbeeee squeeze in 135), then I think we'll be able to replace the production that we are losing this year.

The one massive hindrance right now is the Melancon deal. That deal was puzzling at the time and now it looks like it could seriously hamper us this offseason. That 14-19 million (whichever it is) could go a long way toward filling our holes with big time talent.
    Wipe out JT and it is the same basically. He is probably more valuable too.
    Last edited by bravesfanMatt; 10-11-2019 at 12:31 AM.
    Coppy

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Wipe out JT and it is the same basically. He is probably more valuable too.
    Dropping Keuchel(14 mil), Julio (11 mil), O'Dy(9 mil), and Swarzak (8 mil) garners 41 mil. Melancon at 14 mil(Cots salary for 2020) and Greene(Arby projection of 6+ mil) and you still have 20+ mil to help cover a Donaldson increase, trading for Marte and signing Grandal. A 130+ opening day payroll is not out of the question. 2019 was 115+ mil with 2018 final payroll of 136+ mil. 2019 final has not been published.
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts

that's the right ballpark...140M all in, which translates to 125-130 opening day
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Grandal, Moose, and a trade for say Marte would be a better use of the money honestly and give us a better lineup
    I'd be 150% on board with this.

Acuna RF (R)
    Albies 2B (S)
    Freeman 1B (L)
    Grandal C (S)
    Marte LF (R)
    Moose 3B (L)
    Swanson SS (R)
    Ender CF (L)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Would we keep Neck in a Marte scenario? Keep Duvall or Riley to platoon with ender. Jogun and cluberson could spell marte and ronnie who should spot in mostly everyday.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    Dropping Keuchel(14 mil), Julio (11 mil), O'Dy(9 mil), and Swarzak (8 mil) garners 41 mil. Melancon at 14 mil(Cots salary for 2020) and Greene(Arby projection of 6+ mil) and you still have 20+ mil to help cover a Donaldson increase, trading for Marte and signing Grandal. A 130+ opening day payroll is not out of the question. 2019 was 115+ mil with 2018 final payroll of 136+ mil. 2019 final has not been published.
    The Braves already have $63,559,375 committed to 2020. The only committed money to JT, Flowers, and Neck are buyouts at this time. If they pick up all 3 options, that number moves to 82,559,375. And this is before arby raises, which will likely represent roughly 20 million in payroll. That means, assuming an opening day payroll in the 130-140 million range, the Braves will likely only have around 30-35ish million to make roster moves this offseason.

There are certainly moves they could take to free up a little bit of money. Obviously, declining the options on any of JT, Neck, or Flowers is an easy way to free up some cash, though that also opens holes in the roster by doing so. Neck is quite clearly the weakest candidate in the group, as paying 6 million for a light hitting back-up OFer is not a luxury the Braves can afford. However, I have no faith that the Braves management will make this move since he has a $2 million buyout. Nevertheless, that 4 million saved could pay for a good chunk of Marte's 2020 salary, for instance. Cutting JT is another option if you think you can find a suitable replacement for a cheaper price. I highly doubt Flowers is deemed expendable with no other catcher on the roster at this time, so you can pencil in his 6 million.

Other ways to cut payroll is non-tendering some players. After Folty (who will clearly not get non-tendered) Adam Duvall, Luke Jackson, Charlie Culberson, and Shane Greene represent our most expensive non-tender candidates. I don''t think it's particularly likely that any of these 4 will be non-tendered, but I do think Shane Greene is the most likely of the group. He wasn't particularly great with us and 6 million is a lot for a team like us to commit to a non-closer. However, he likely has enough trade value that the option to non-tender him is probably a moot point. Given our BP issues this year, it also wouldn't surprise me to see us retain him for 2020.

JD, Grandal, and Marte seems very unlikely given a $130 million opening day payroll. JD and Grandal themselves will likely cost in excess of 40+ million. But Grandal, Marte, and Moose Tacos is definitely doable with some roster adjustments.
    Last edited by Carp; 10-11-2019 at 09:39 AM.