Page 10 of 289 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    The Braves already have $63,559,375 committed to 2020. The only committed money to JT, Flowers, and Neck are buyouts at this time. If they pick up all 3 options, that number moves to 82,559,375. And this is before arby raises, which will likely represent roughly 20 million in payroll. That means, assuming an opening day payroll in the 130-140 million range, the Braves will likely only have around 30-35ish million to make roster moves this offseason.

There are certainly moves they could take to free up a little bit of money. Obviously, declining the options on any of JT, Neck, or Flowers is an easy way to free up some cash, though that also opens holes in the roster by doing so. Neck is quite clearly the weakest candidate in the group, as paying 6 million for a light hitting back-up OFer is not a luxury the Braves can afford. However, I have no faith that the Braves management will make this move since he has a $2 million buyout. Nevertheless, that 4 million saved could pay for a good chunk of Marte's 2020 salary, for instance. Cutting JT is another option if you think you can find a suitable replacement for a cheaper price. I highly doubt Flowers is deemed expendable with no other catcher on the roster at this time, so you can pencil in his 6 million.

Other ways to cut payroll is non-tendering some players. After Folty (who will clearly not get non-tendered) Adam Duvall, Luke Jackson, Charlie Culberson, and Shane Greene represent our most expensive non-tender candidates. I don''t think it's particularly likely that any of these 4 will be non-tendered, but I do think Shane Greene is the most likely of the group. He wasn't particularly great with us and 6 million is a lot for a team like us to commit to a non-closer. However, he likely has enough trade value that the option to non-tender him is probably a moot point. Given our BP issues this year, it also wouldn't surprise me to see us retain him for 2020.

JD, Grandal, and Marte seems very unlikely given a $130 million opening day payroll. JD and Grandal themselves will likely cost in excess of 40+ million. But Grandal, Marte, and Moose Tacos is definitely doable with some roster adjustments.
    I agree that Donaldson AND Grandal is a long shot. Even Moose and Grandal is a long shot. Most likely we go expensive third/cheap catcher or expensive catcher/cheap third. If I had to guess it will be return of Donaldson and cheap at catcher (maybe Cervelli).
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Carp (10-11-2019)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Moose, Grandal and Marte do nothing for your rotation. See the AA interview with DOB and the AJC reported posted on MLB about off season intent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Moose, Grandal and Marte do nothing for your rotation. See the AA interview with DOB and the AJC reported posted on MLB about off season intent.
    The pitching isn’t what lost us the series

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    10 run first inning disagrees. We need an ace and we need to let our best current starter start 2 games in a 5 gamebseries.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I agree that Donaldson AND Grandal is a long shot. Even Moose and Grandal is a long shot. Most likely we go expensive third/cheap catcher or expensive catcher/cheap third. If I had to guess it will be return of Donaldson and cheap at catcher (maybe Cervelli).
    My plan is to make one big trade. I've already detailed my plan for Kluber/Hand. A different direction could be at 3b. While there is no indication that Oakland plans on trading Chapman as he is still dirt cheap for 2020, they clearly have a history of selling off players the closer they get to FA. I'd at least kick the tires here. He's basically a younger version of JD. One of the only players I'd consider moving Pache for.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    FWIW Again read the MLBTR article and the FO opinion of Riley. Now, I don't know how serious AA is about Riley but you have probably concede that there is still a lot of potential in Riley.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    10 run first inning disagrees. We need an ace and we need to let our best current starter start 2 games in a 5 gamebseries.
    It never should of went to a 5th game if the offense produces. Soroka should of started game one.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Glad to see the "we need an Ace" nonsense return in full force.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    “As we sit here today, do I see us cementing him and giving him a position going into next year, where the job is his, whether it’s outfield or third base? Unlikely at this point,” said Anthopoulos. “That being said, do we believe in him long term? Absolutely.”

I agree with AA's take on Riley. Based on what we saw this year, he needs some more time in AAA to figure out a few things. From a developmental point of view he's ahead of Pache and Waters. So he is the most likely guy to fill in either at third or in the outfield if an injury cropped up. And I think he could force his way into the lineup by mid-season even if there wasn't an opening created by injury. An outfield of Riley/Ender/Acuna has a chance to be one of the best in baseball.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Carp (10-11-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Glad to see the "we need an Ace" nonsense return in full force.
    I don't think we necessarily need an "ace", but I do think AA will try and trade for a front end type of starter. He's tried to trade for an "ace" type of pitcher almost his entire time as our GM. Archer in the summer on 2018. Paxton and Sonny Gray last off-season. We were linked to Snydergaard for much of this summer and reportedly were in on Greinke before he was traded too.

I'm gonna predict Kluber is the pitcher we are most tied to this off-season. We'll be tied to MadBum too, but I doubt AA goes there unless MadBum takes a 2-3 year deal
    Last edited by Carp; 10-11-2019 at 03:24 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Yes, AA will undoubtedly shop around for any impact player he can acquire for good value, regardless of position.

That's what good FOs do...

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    I'm going to be very interested in seeing how the trade market will shape up. Even with the trade deadline deals, Braves still have capital to make a deal. Question is going to be whether or not AA believes the time is right to pull the trigger on a deal that would include Pache, Wilson, or Wright, ect.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Appears that Wash is the leading candidate to land the Managers job for the Padres, according to MLBTR

I'd hate to see him go
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    Appears that Wash is the leading candidate to land the Managers job for the Padres, according to MLBTR

I'd hate to see him go
    Yeah me too...he has done wonders for Albies....really like having him in the fold
    Get off my lawn!

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    If you decline the options except for Flowers, plus the buyout money, you'd have around 59.5 in allocated money. Add in the projected arb, around 27 or so if most is offered, that puts payroll at 86. Marte, JD, and Grandal would close to impossible to fit in, without some pitching additions. The Melancon deal for 14 or 19 mil is really gonna **** us over this winter, even for 1 year, arguably AA's worst move as GM in his tenure.

Even if you have a 130 OD payroll, that leaves 44 million. I guess you could maybe do Moose, Marte/traded for outfielder, and Grandal. But i'm not sure what that does with the pitching.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    If you decline the options except for Flowers, plus the buyout money, you'd have around 59.5 in allocated money. Add in the projected arb, around 27 or so if most is offered, that puts payroll at 86. Marte, JD, and Grandal would close to impossible to fit in, without some pitching additions. The Melancon deal for 14 or 19 mil is really gonna **** us over this winter, even for 1 year, arguably AA's worst move as GM in his tenure.

Even if you have a 130 OD payroll, that leaves 44 million. I guess you could maybe do Moose, Marte/traded for outfielder, and Grandal. But i'm not sure what that does with the pitching.
    I'm curious with the uptick in attendance this year, if they will bump the payroll again...I guess we will hear the typical generic response shortly into the offseason, but should have a good idea with the options on Teheran, Neck, and Flowers
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    I'm curious with the uptick in attendance this year, if they will bump the payroll again...I guess we will hear the typical generic response shortly into the offseason, but should have a good idea with the options on Teheran, Neck, and Flowers
    I’m pretty sure if AA sees a way to build a really strong team like getting JD, Grandal, and Marte that McGuirk would give him the go ahead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post

I'd hate to see him go
    I'd hate to see him go too but I'd be happy for him. I think it would be a great hire by the Pads.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Listening to the AA season ending press conference, could listen to him talk baseball for days. Such a bright dude.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    In all fairness you don't have to be an ace to not give up 10 in the first inning. Plus just about everything went wrong in that first inning. The pitching was pretty good in the series although that inning was a fiasco.