Results 5,461 to 5,480 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Maeda is on an insanely cheap contract, Graterol is likely just a closer, probably a damn good one though.

Maeda can also be used out of the pen, good piece to have.
    Last edited by Heyward; 02-04-2020 at 10:32 PM.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Kiley-

Sources tell me the deal is

LAD gets: Mookie Betts, David Price, cash from BOS
    MIN gets: Kenya Maeda
    BOS gets: Alex Verdugo, Brusdar Graterol

Separately, LAD trades Joc Pederson to LAA for Luis Rengifo
    I like this trade for Boston. They get a cheap long term asset in Verdugo who should be a ~3-4 win player for them over a full season plus an excellent pitching prospect who is relatively close to the majors for one year of Mookie. They didn't fleece the way the Yankees did the Cubs for Chapman, but I think they got pretty good value in this deal. I was pretty low on Boston's 2020 chances, so that is probably shading my overall interpretation of this trade a bit because I don't think they were going to be a serious threat even with Mookie. They also shed half of Price's salary, which is a bonus for them.

As for LA, they just got a lot better offensively but I do think that this furthers the questions surrounding that pitching staff. Losing Maeda and adding Price may end up being a wash from a production standpoint, but I think Price is riskier and he's definitely far more expensive even with Boston paying some salary. The one good thing I will say about this trade for LA is that they really improved 2020 without sacrificing basically anything from their farm system, although I was a fan of Verdugo long term.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I feel like the Dodgers just fleeced the Red Sox with them also paying half of Price's salary.
    Huh? Verdugo and the guy they got from the Twins for 1 year of Betts and half of Price's contract is pretty amazing. Hell, getting Verdugo alone for Betts while dumping that much salary is pretty amazing.
    Last edited by Carp; 02-05-2020 at 07:42 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Verdugo was pacing as a 3-4 WAR player in his 1st full season as a 23 year old. Even if he doesn't add much more power, he's an above average hitter with good on base skills and great defense.
    Conservatively, he should provide between 12-15 WAR over the next 5 years, but could easily provide close to 20 WAR (or more) if he develops a bit more. An amazing get for 1 year of Betts and the money they are jettisoning in the process.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Huh? Verdugo and the guy they got from the Twins for 1 year of Betts and half of Price's contract is pretty amazing. Hell, getting Verdugo alone for Betts while dumping that much salary is pretty amazing.
    Sorry... I'm not as high on Verdugo as most and the Twins guy is likely a reliever. Its a good return if they are tearing it all down, but I don't think they are. They are a worse team now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    I may be in the minority here, but I think it was a good deal all-around. It filled needs for every single team. I actually REALLY liked the deal for the Twins. They definitely overpaid a bit, but they had to do something. Their rotation consists of Homer Bailey and Jhoulys Chacin...

The Dodgers still have some question marks in the rotation (Kershaw, Buehler, Price, Wood, Urias) but have enough depth, especially in the offense, to be win 100+ games.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Sorry... I'm not as high on Verdugo as most and the Twins guy is likely a reliever. Its a good return if they are tearing it all down, but I don't think they are. They are a worse team now.

I think they did well.

I think the trade made sense for all three teams, honestly.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (02-05-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    How bad are the Dodgers going to get hammered by the luxury tax now?

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    How bad are the Dodgers going to get hammered by the luxury tax now?
    Not sure, but they just reset theirs (same as Boston is now trying to do), so it'll only be 20% of whatever amount they're over. For comparison, yhe Red Sox were looking at 95% of the amount over due to it being their fourth consecutive season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    I may be in the minority here, but I think it was a good deal all-around. It filled needs for every single team. I actually REALLY liked the deal for the Twins. They definitely overpaid a bit, but they had to do something. Their rotation consists of Homer Bailey and Jhoulys Chacin...

The Dodgers still have some question marks in the rotation (Kershaw, Buehler, Price, Wood, Urias) but have enough depth, especially in the offense, to be win 100+ games.
    Dodgers also have May for the rotation.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    dodgers getting Rengifo for one year of Pederson, who they have no use for anymore, is the bigger steal to me. the rest of the deal makes sense.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    dodgers getting Rengifo for one year of Pederson, who they have no use for anymore, is the bigger steal to me. the rest of the deal makes sense.
    Dodgers also sent over a really talented young rookie ball OFer... Andy Pages:

19 year old who had a 165 wRC+, .353 ISO with 19 homers in Rookie ball last year

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    I feel like the Dodgers just fleeced the Red Sox with them also paying half of Price's salary.
    I don't think you realize how much negative trade value Price actually has

15. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-05-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Just wait for a 20-6 season with a 3.30 ERA from Price because baseball. (I fully understand how bad his peripherals are)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Yeah. That's a crazy deal.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Just wait for a 20-6 season with a 3.30 ERA from Price because baseball. (I fully understand how bad his peripherals are)
    That would only happen if he went to the Trashtros

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Not sure, but they just reset theirs (same as Boston is now trying to do), so it'll only be 20% of whatever amount they're over. For comparison, yhe Red Sox were looking at 95% of the amount over due to it being their fourth consecutive season.
    Allowing it to reset that easily is dumb. It should have a tiered reset system. Year 1 under -33%, year 2 under -66%, year 3 under -100%. So basically 3 years to fully reset.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Possibly... now that is been news for about 12 hours, I've kinda softened on my stance. Probably a fair deal all around. I still don't love it for the Twins, but then again, I've never really thought much of Maeda.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Yeah. That's a crazy deal.
    Again that's not the whole deal. The Dodgers included a high variance/high ceiling masher 19 year old in rookie ball.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-05-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Well yeah, they are a worse team in 2020. But they have the same shot to sign to a long term deal as they did 24 hours ago. Betts isn't signing an extension unless he gets everything he's asking for. I rather doubt the Dodgers are going to give him 400+ at 12 years right now.

As far as Verdugo, he's basically a 3 win player under control for 5 years. That's pretty damn valuable. I know next to nothing about the Twins guy other than he was Number 64 in Fangraphs top 100 this time a year ago and is a 50 FV pitcher. Seems may be a bit like Touki. But certainly, he has value as well.

The Sox did extremely well here. They got a guy who is already performing at a 3+ WAR level with 5 years of a control and a very talented lottery ticket in Brusdar Graterol. And they dumped half of Price's contract for 1 year of Betts. The Dodgers have a great farm that can withstand such a loss to their major league team, but it's an extremely short sighted move. I know they likely feel confident in re-signing him, but all it takes is one team to go crazy and give him a significantly higher offer than anyone else.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-05-2020)