Page 232 of 289 FirstFirst ... 132182222230231232233234242282 ... LastLast
Results 4,621 to 4,640 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    At best we get a power bat at either 3B or cOF and platoon the other. At worst we platoon both with Markakis getting the majority of abs bc he bas “the pictures.” Realistically...ugh I don’t know anymore. But I don’t see two more impact bats coming, sadly.
    Yeah 2 won’t happen before the season starts. Hopefully we can get one and then if we need something at the TD we can. We have a lot more OF options then we do 3b so that’s where I think he shops.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Having a very good bullpen will go a long way for the team. A top 8 of: Luke, Smith, Greene, MM, O'Day, Martin, Dayton/Minter, and Webb is very solid. Having a deep pen allows the starters to go less deep in games. Can use any combo of Luke/Smith/MM, or Greene/Martin/O'Day, or Webb/Martin/Smith, and so on. Lot of options. Rotation is probably better than last years. Bench is maybe better, depending who makes it.

That said, would be pleasantly shocked if AA rolled into Opening Day with this current lineup. When there's a big hole, AA usually goes out and fixes it. But not many options, and most of them would require an overpay in years Ozuna/Castellanos, and prospects in the case of Arenado/Bryant. On paper, i'd say we're in the 88-90 win range, probably where the other 3 clubs are. Add a bopper, and we're probably the favorites on paper.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Giving a 30 year old BP arm 3 years while rolling with Camargo at 3b is unacceptable. AA very clearly underestimated the cost of bringing JD back.

Another impact bat must be acquired. Now.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (01-19-2020), Snowman (01-19-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    The deal I outlined in my scenario was 3/80. Yes, I do think he would have given up 12 million to re-sign with us.

And to take it a step further, it’s a safe bet he could have re-entered the market and gotten 12 million from someone after his deal with us concluded. So 3/80 from us and then 1/12 from someone is exactly the same as 4/92 from Minnesota.
    Lol what?? To take it a step farther he could re-enter the market at the end of Twins contract for the same price. That makes no sense.

We'd have had to be pretty close to 92 million in guaranteed money for him to consider us. Is 12 million less close? For JD I don't know, but i would venture to say no.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Giving a 30 year old BP arm 3 years while rolling with Camargo at 3b is unacceptable. AA very clearly underestimated the cost of bringing JD back.

Totally agree with this! We need to acquire an impact bat sooner than later before someone else does and drives the price even higher.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jay212033 For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (01-20-2020)

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Lol what?? To take it a step farther he could re-enter the market at the end of Twins contract for the same price. That makes no sense.

We'd have had to be pretty close to 92 million in guaranteed money for him to consider us. Is 12 million less close? For JD I don't know, but i would venture to say no.
    Please read what I’ve written. That’s twice that you have mis-quoted me. I said he would end his 3 year deal with us and be 1 year and 12 million dollars shy of what he is earning with Minnesota. Again, he could re-enter the market after 3 years and likely sign a 1 year deal for 12 million. If he did that he would be at the same place he will be in 4 years with Minnesota.

I disagree. I don’t think we’d have to be pretty close. Maybe ~10 million shy of Minnesota and he would have gone with us. I’m speculating here, but I’m going off of all the positive and glowing things JD has said about us.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Please read what I’ve written. That’s twice that you have mis-quoted me. I said he would end his 3 year deal with us and be 1 year and 12 million dollars shy of what he is earning with Minnesota. Again, he could re-enter the market after 3 years and likely sign a 1 year deal for 12 million. If he did that he would be at the same place he will be in 4 years with Minnesota.

I disagree. I don’t think we’d have to be pretty close. Maybe ~10 million shy of Minnesota and he would have gone with us. I’m speculating here, but I’m going off of all the positive and glowing things JD has said about us.
    But the problem is, that $12M then isn’t guaranteed. Right now he’s guaranteed to make that money, even if he blows out his knee in spring training and can’t pay for 3 seasons. In the scenario you point out, he’d be out $12M if at the end of the deal he can’t play anymore.

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    But the problem is, that $12M then isn’t guaranteed. Right now he’s guaranteed to make that money, even if he blows out his knee in spring training and can’t pay for 3 seasons. In the scenario you point out, he’d be out $12M if at the end of the deal he can’t play anymore.
    You’re right. It’s possible that that happens. Anything can happen. But it’s a reasonable assumption that after his 3 year deal with us, at age 37, he could very easily sign a 1/12 deal. But let’s say he doesn’t. He retires or is too injured to play anymore. Him signing with us vs Minnesota he is turning down 1/12. I still think that’s in the neighborhood of what he’s willing to turn down to sign with us. Previously I stayed I think he’d be fine with turning down 10 million for us. I’m sure if he said to us ‘up the offer 2 million over the life of this 3 year deal,’ we could have done that.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    It’s more likely a 37 year old JD retires than signs for another $12M. He was right to go after the max guarantee since this is quite possibly his last MLB contract.

I’m relieved the Braves didn’t go anywhere near $90M.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts

Don't think Smith has anything to do with Donaldson.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Only to the extent that when there is a budget everything is linked. But between Smith and Donaldson there is Hamels (18M). It was the Hamels signing that made me wonder what AA's intentions toward Donaldson were.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Of course it does. By signing Smith we forfeit the draft pick, and by the Twins signing JD at least we recoup a pick. If we had signed JD also, we would have been down a pick completely. In addition to the money as stated above.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    We don’t know. But it sounds like the issue with jd was years, not annual value. If that’s the case the other signings didn’t impact jd.

I don’t think jd was going to replace jd from last year.

But we need another bat. I still think we need 2.

My worry is aa has his best deals down for a couple of trades and the other gms are calling his bluff. Or other gms are asking for extra from the Braves bc they know we need the piece.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts

I don't know how he's going to re-enter the market at age 37 and get 12 million. Regardless, that would have no bearing on a fictional 3 year deal with Atlanta. And there is about a zero % chance we would offer an option year at 10 million anyways.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    It’s more likely a 37 year old JD retires than signs for another $12M. He was right to go after the max guarantee since this is quite possibly his last MLB contract.

I’m relieved the Braves didn’t go anywhere near $90M.
    Yeah, it's not out of the realm of possibilities, but anyone thinking it's likely JD could get a 1 year 12 million dollar deal at age 37 is fooling themselves.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    It’s fair to speculate the Braves weren’t giving JD $90M no matter what they did or who else they signed.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    It’s fair to speculate the Braves weren’t giving JD $90M no matter what they did or who else they signed.
    I think that's right.

Hard to say the aav wasn't in the ball park of expectation. If the smith or Hamels signing had made Donaldson unaffordable, you'd think they would have moved on to cheaper options rather continue to engage.

Seems like the years was probably the primary issue.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts
    This is most certainly correct. It had to be that AA was offering 3 years and no more. Probably similar AAV

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I don't know how he's going to re-enter the market at age 37 and get 12 million. Regardless, that would have no bearing on a fictional 3 year deal with Atlanta. And there is about a zero % chance we would offer an option year at 10 million anyways.
    You could imagine he becomes their next version of Cruz (who's making $12 million at 39) if/when Nellie hangs 'em up, but yeah - not really sure Donaldson would be overly interested in becoming a full-time DH when his glove and legs go. Doesn't really seem fo fit his personality, but who knows?

If he's interested and still producing though - even if not quite at last year's levels - I don't really see why AL teams (and hopefully all by then) wouldn't look at him like they have Cruz and Encarnacion on a one-year deal at that point.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    So many people seem to think the Braves spent money on the bullpen so they couldn't spend the money on JD; I definitely think they just didn't want to invest that much in an aging player.