Page 268 of 289 FirstFirst ... 168218258266267268269270278 ... LastLast
Results 5,341 to 5,360 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Dude Gonsolin/Verdugo/Downs plus taking Price's contract is an absolutely massive haul for one year of Betts and doesn't seem characteristic of the Dodgers at all. I'm actually pretty skeptical of a trade like that happening.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-30-2020)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Dude Gonsolin/Verdugo/Downs plus taking Price's contract is an absolutely massive haul for one year of Betts and doesn't seem characteristic of the Dodgers at all. I'm actually pretty skeptical of a trade like that happening.
    They still keep May/Ruiz/Lux among others but it is a hefty price if they're taking on Price as well. But i think Price will do well in the NL, and they dont really have an established #3 SP right now so they do kinda need him.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    According to Olney, they're having two separate discussions; One with Price and worse prospects to increase salary relief for Boston's ownership, and one without Price but with better prospects. My guess would be that that particular prospect package is the non-Price package.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snowman For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-30-2020), UNCBlue012 (01-31-2020)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    According to Olney, they're having two separate discussions; One with Price and worse prospects to increase salary relief for Boston's ownership, and one without Price but with better prospects. My guess would be that that particular prospect package is the non-Price package.
    Ok. Makes better sense now
    Coppy

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    That Price contract is hor-ra-bull....wouldn’t touch it.

I don’t get why anyone would give up a ton of value for a guy with one year of control...making a butt load in that one year and also asking for Trout money in the future.

Betts is a great player and all, but I see little value in the the big picture.

I still don’t see why the Red Sox with their deep pockets are trying to trade him. He should be the player they keep to build around, because as is...I don’t see them getting anywhere near what he is worth.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-31-2020)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post

I don’t get why anyone would give up a ton of value for a guy with one year of control...making a butt load in that one year and also asking for Trout money in the future.

I still don’t see why the Red Sox with their deep pockets are trying to trade him. He should be the player they keep to build around, because as is...I don’t see them getting anywhere near what he is worth.
    The Sox are trying to lop something like $45 million off of their payroll to reset the luxury tax counter. If they don't do so, this is their fourth year in a row to be over and they have to pay about $100 million.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Adding Betts and Price, even at his current juncture, would be a huge damn improvement to an already great team. Price can be a really good No. 5 if anything.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Adding Betts and Price, even at his current juncture, would be a huge damn improvement to an already great team. Price can be a really good No. 5 if anything.
    And we can laugh at them for building this super team that loses to us in the championship series. The NL east can send them back to the drawing board.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    And we can laugh at them for building this super team that loses to us in the championship series. The NL east can send them back to the drawing board.
    It sure would be nice.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Dodgers rotation is actually their biggest weakness right now. Ryu was a big loss and they've done nothing to replace him. Kershaw is getting older and has missed between 7-12 starts for four straight seasons. The Dodgers will be able to outhit anyone but their staff, at least on paper, is pretty pedestrian. Price would likely be their 3rd best pitcher by a good margin.
    Last edited by Carp; 01-31-2020 at 10:29 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts

3 years at 32 million per isn't ideal, especially for a 34 yr old pitcher who has missed significant time 2 of the last 3 years. But the Dodgers can afford take such a risk, especially when they are getting Betts back and lessening the prospect cost to acquire him. Price was pacing for around 3-3.5 WAR last year before his injury, so when he is healthy he still should be a good pitcher that should see an uptick in his overall numbers moving to LA.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-31-2020)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Dodgers rotation is actually their biggest weakness right now. Ryu was a big loss and they've done nothing to replace him. Kershaw is getting older and has missed between 7-12 starts for four straight seasons. The Dodgers will be able to outhit anyone but their staff, at least on paper, is pretty pedestrian. Price would likely be their 3rd best pitcher by a good margin.
    Their rotation certainly isn't as good as it has been in the past, but having Kershaw and Buehler at the top is pretty great. They have a bunch of question marks beyond those two, but a lot of quality depth that should be able to fill out their other three rotation spots without too many problems. Maeda, Wood, Urias, May, Gonsolin, Santana, White, and maybe even Josiah Gray should be enough for a pretty good rotation. Maeda is pretty much a lock for the 3 spot. Wood and Urias are the most likely candidates for the final two spots, but I'm also really high on May and Gonsolin as well. May has a ton of upside and Gonsolin seems like a decent bet to be a solid number 4.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Yeah I don’t see price being all that good. He is dealing with elbow issues that he is choosing to play through. That in itself is a ticking time bomb. But even some of his other numbers are trending the wrong way. His FB velo is dropping and his change is a negative pitch. If he can’t blow his fastball by guys then his curve will become less effective. His WHiP jumped up last year but he kept a descent FiP. He is still throwing strikes but how long will that last if guys are crushing his fastballs. Think JT when his velo started to drop.

I would be terrified if my team had to rely on 150 innings from Price at this point.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    If dodgers took betts and price would they consider moving turner?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    If dodgers took betts and price would they consider moving turner?
    I'm not sure where those two would put their payroll, but it is possible that they would be looking to shave some and Turner might be a logical option to move in that scenario. But I think they would be looking to get fair value back for him, which in his case would probably be in the range of 15-20 million in surplus value. The issue for us would be absorbing another 19 million into our payroll. I'm not sure that is feasible for us at this point. If we were going to do that, we would almost certainly have to make another trade trying to move Melancon, Greene, or someone along those lines. And Melancon has a full no trade clause that he'd have to waive in order to move him.

In my opinion there are just too many contingencies and moving parts for a Turner trade to be a realistic option for us. I know there was all that talk of us potentially signing Ozuna and Donaldson, in which case taking on Turner's deal would be realistic for us. But that notion is kinda hard for me to believe. Until proven otherwise, I'm going to operate under the assumption that we can't afford to add more than around 10 million to the current payroll, 15 at the absolute most.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Yeah I can't see any more moves for us that add anymore than about 5 million to the current payroll. Someone like Holt makes sense on the FA front or a trade for someone making around that much (or some team kicking in cash for a more expensive player).

For the Dodgers, they should be able to afford it regardless. Their luxury tax was reset in 2018 and they stayed under in 20019 as well. So the penalty won't be as harsh.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-31-2020)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts

Boston is offering 10/300, Betts camp is wanting 12/420, thats a pretty sizeable gap. There's also some good outfielders in free agency next winter. Sure none of them can match Mookie's production except maybe Springer or close, but there's options. And if they cant re-sign him, getting some value back makes a lot of sense for them.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Sox will likely try to bring him back as well next off-season after they reset their luxury tax penalties. Sort of the Kenny Lofton move where you trade him for a bunch of talented players then re-sign him at the end of the year.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    As the others mentioned, if the Dodgers were looking to get real creative (like always) you could come up with plenty of interesting packages. For instance...

1.) Wouldn't you be willing to increase the prospect return if you could substitute Pederson for Verdugo? If Pederson wins his arbitration case that's $9.5 million in salary going back in 2020, and they're not likely planning to bring Pederson back after this season anyway.

2.) Same thing if you could substitute Pollock for Verdugo. Clears a long-term commitment off the Dodgers' books that can be applied towards Price's money. Boston could then step up efforts to move JBJ since they'd have CF covered (albeit with Pollock's sketchy health concerns) beyond 2020, buying them time to find out what they've got in Duran.

Even if they didn't move JBJ - plugging Pederson or Pollock in in RF, Gonsolin in in Price's slot, and giving 2B to Downs ought to make Boston at least as competitive as they were last year if they can keep people healthy while taking care of the financial concerns they're dealing with right now, and they could then chase guys like Springer/Ozuna/Castellanos/Pederson next winter if they need more production after they reset their luxury tax number.

Friedman would likely have to be pretty sure that having Mookie spend a year in La-La-Land would be enough to convince him to re-sign, but most reports have said that he's been willing to roll those dice if he could get Betts or Lindor.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I'm gonna shoot my dog if someone doesn't post something interesting by 2pm CST tomorrow. You have been warned.