Swanson
    Ender
    Duvall/Markakis

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (10-13-2019), UNCBlue012 (10-14-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    I would look for a veteran 3b. Maybe one that can hit for power and play good defense that would be willing to sign a 3 year deal, even if it's a little pricey.
    i'm not sure who really fits this bill other than...Donaldson.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-15-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i'm not sure who really fits this bill other than...Donaldson.

Moose
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Moose would be a very good choice if he doesn't preclude other acquisition improvements. Only question I would have would be where does he hit in the lineup?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Moose is a pretty big downgrade from Donaldson.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-15-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    I personally would let Julio, Dallas, Markakis and Donaldson walk. That would leave us with about 60 mil or so to spend on our biggest needs which is the rotation, 3b and right field. I would look for a couple of veteran starters to fill the SP void, hopefully a lefty and a righty in their 30's. I would look for a veteran 3b. Maybe one that can hit for power and play good defense that would be willing to sign a 3 year deal, even if it's a little pricey. As for RF I'd look into getting a cheap LH bat. A guy with a history of hitting RH's pretty well and I don't necessarily need good defense.
    Not really. While those 4 walking represent roughly 50 million falling off the books from this season, opening day payroll for 2020 will likely only be around 130 million and you aren't factoring in raises to other players. Even if we don't bring back any of those 4, we're still looking at a max of about 40-45 million to spend this off-season while leaving roughly 10-15 million in the pot to spend on in season upgrades.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Moose is a pretty big downgrade from Donaldson.
    Moose+Riley platoon has the potential to be pretty damn good, though expecting 5+ WAR is probably not reasonable. Optimistically, (assuming a strict platoon) I think they could post 4 WAR combined at 3b.
    Last edited by Carp; 10-14-2019 at 08:25 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    Analytics didn’t work, go back to a dinosaur manager! I’m all for it because it’ll mean more years of futility for the Failies!
    I actually think both those guys are considerably better than Kapler. Both will do a much better job avoiding the meltdowns the Phillies experienced under Kapler. I think there are better candidates than those guys but they're both way better managers than Kapler.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I actually think both those guys are considerably better than Kapler. Both will do a much better job avoiding the meltdowns the Phillies experienced under Kapler. I think there are better candidates than those guys but they're both way better managers than Kapler.
    Kapler is not responsible for the Phillies "meltdowns."
    lack of depth and poor roster construction? yep.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    If the Braves end up with Inciarte as their starting CF then so be it, but I don't think he's a guy whose trade value is ever going to be particularly high.

I'm not sure that selling low is going to be a significant issue. I'm also not sure that you can count on him returning to being what he was three years ago.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    If the Braves end up with Inciarte as their starting CF then so be it, but I don't think he's a guy whose trade value is ever going to be particularly high.

I'm not sure that selling low is going to be a significant issue. I'm also not sure that you can count on him returning to being what he was three years ago.
    While it's a short sample to be sure, he was awesome after coming back from injury: .293/.411/.520/.931.

I'm completely comfortable with him in CF in 2020. But we gotta fix one of the cOF spots. Neck needs to go and I hope AA is smart enough to see that. I mean as a part of a platoon or the 1st lefty bat on the bench, he would be ok, but we all know Snit won't play him that way.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts

He doesn't have to be what he was 3 years ago. He has to be what he was in 2018 and what he was after coming back from his back injury in 2019. I'd still pencil him in for ~3 WAR

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    I wonder if the Braves would be interested in Jon Gray. Two more years of control and only projected to make $5.6M in 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Kapler is not responsible for the Phillies "meltdowns."
    lack of depth and poor roster construction? yep.
    I was more talking about their well publicized clubhouse problems. They had a guy smash a TV over too much video game playing. He had another incident where he benched a player via text message.

Their late season collapses have had numerous contributing factors.

I think Kapler's analytics approach gets too much attention. Pretty much every team has tons of analytics at a manager's fingertips these days and if they don't the GM should be fired. Kapler's problems had everything to do with his lack of experience as a coach and/or lack of interpersonal skills. He had no idea how to communicate with his players or with management.

The GM there deserves plenty of criticism but Kapler wasn't succeeding at all.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    He doesn't have to be what he was 3 years ago. He has to be what he was in 2018 and what he was after coming back from his back injury in 2019. I'd still pencil him in for ~3 WAR
    Is there a place to run splits for defensive runs saved? What did that look like for Ender during his healthy spell I wonder? All back to normal?

I just have concern that this soft tissue stuff is the new normal for 30 year old Ender.

Acuna has been fairly DRS neutral in CF so he's more than a stop gap. If you are just talking about a one year bridge to Pache or Waters, seems like that works just fine.

But I'm not sure the money to make that many changes is there.

I feel like the Inciarte/Markakis/Flowers/Swanson bottom of the order is something that needs attention though.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Is there a place to run splits for defensive runs saved? What did that look like for Ender during his healthy spell I wonder? All back to normal?

I just have concern that this soft tissue stuff is the new normal for 30 year old Ender.

Acuna has been fairly DRS neutral in CF so he's more than a stop gap. If you are just talking about a one year bridge to Pache or Waters, seems like that works just fine.

But I'm not sure the money to make that many changes is there.

I feel like the Inciarte/Markakis/Flowers/Swanson bottom of the order is something that needs attention though.
    I'm not aware of a place to run splits for defensive data. However it was noted at the time that some of his underlying problems like sprint speed started to bump up after he came back.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I was more talking about their well publicized clubhouse problems. They had a guy smash a TV over too much video game playing. He had another incident where he benched a player via text message.

Their late season collapses have had numerous contributing factors.

I think Kapler's analytics approach gets too much attention. Pretty much every team has tons of analytics at a manager's fingertips these days and if they don't the GM should be fired. Kapler's problems had everything to do with his lack of experience as a coach and/or lack of interpersonal skills. He had no idea how to communicate with his players or with management.

The GM there deserves plenty of criticism but Kapler wasn't succeeding at all.
    Even then, the Phillies roster construction and lack of depth is a big reason for missing the playoffs than Kapler. Kapler MAYBE used/uses analytics too much but he's not the reason for them failing. The GM/lack of depth is a much bigger reason.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    There is no publicly available way to get defensive splits. Even if there was, the sample size wold be beyond useless.

A healthy Ender is the 2nd best OFer on the roster, even if his PAs vs LHP should be limited. Folks trying to improve the club should probably focus their attention elsewhere.

Like C, cOF, 3b and a SP on a short term deal. Any suggestions about any other positions can be ignored as a non-need made by someone who doesn’t understand player valuation.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    There is no publicly available way to get defensive splits. Even if there was, the sample size wold be beyond useless.

A healthy Ender is the 2nd best OFer on the roster, even if his PAs vs LHP should be limited. Folks trying to improve the club should probably focus their attention elsewhere.

Like C, cOF, 3b and a SP on a short term deal. Any suggestions about any other positions can be ignored as a non-need made by someone who doesn’t understand player valuation.

Awwww, look at the grouchy bear. He's still sleepy.