Results 4,061 to 4,080 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Washington signed some, albeit cheap, guys. i don't think it takes them out of the running for him, but it probably works to lower the leverage he has over them. as in, i think it will lower the amount they're willing to give him. of course i could end up wrong...
    I won't say it lowers the amount they are willing to give him, but it certainly it does increase their leverage in negotiations. My point is that until someone drops out, there isn't much of a point in being in a hurry in his situation. He has several suitors who have standing offers, so there is a chance someone might improve their offer to get this nailed down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    If the Nats were to sign JD and the Cards pull off a trade for Arenado then we have no choice but to pay up for Kris Bryant. The JD thing needs to be settled ASAP.

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    If the Nats were to sign JD and the Cards pull off a trade for Arenado then we have no choice but to pay up for Kris Bryant. The JD thing needs to be settled ASAP.
    If all that were to happen be prepared to get bent over severely by the Cubs. Their asking price is already high. What do you think would happen to it if the Braves are backed into a corner?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Man the JD news was coming hot and heavy, then all quiet.
    It was a week ago yesterday most were looking for news of the "highly likely or most probable or great possibility" of a JD signing. That continued into Tues as the reports were that a JD signing would happen early in the week. MLB had an "add in remark" about the Nats and JD in their article about the re-signing of of Daniel Hudson. That's the only mention of JD in 2 days that I can find.
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I won't say it lowers the amount they are willing to give him, but it certainly it does increase their leverage in negotiations. My point is that until someone drops out, there isn't much of a point in being in a hurry in his situation. He has several suitors who have standing offers, so there is a chance someone might improve their offer to get this nailed down.
    True, but the longer this drags out there's just as much chance those suitors actually become more hesitant to include that fourth (or even third) year - I can't imagine ANYONE has told his representation "here's our four year offer, it's on the table for you to accept whenever you feel like it so go ahead and shop it around as long as you like". Those additional Washington signees could easily have changed the amount they'd want to defer in case they want to stay below the luxury tax line in 2020. The Rangers might have decided that they're definitely not interested in giving him the fourth year since Jung should be ready some time in 2021 - especially since they've signed Frazier. And so on for the other suitors.

He's not going to be a "bargain" by any stretch, but it's becoming easier by the day to agree with those who think he might have overplayed his hand when the "first team to 4/$110 million" stuff got out there.
    Last edited by clvclv; 01-14-2020 at 01:27 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    FWIW, Anderson didn't make Pipeline's Top 10 RHP prospects...

https://www.mlb.com/news/top-right-h...pects-for-2020
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post

pipeline is usually pretty bad, and having Sixto that high is interesting.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Anderson should have def been on there imo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    If all that were to happen be prepared to get bent over severely by the Cubs. Their asking price is already high. What do you think would happen to it if the Braves are backed into a corner?
    It’s anybody’s guess on JD at this point but it’s either us or Washington imo. And the Cards and Rockies are said to be exchanging names so that’s usually a positive sign during negotiations. The Cubs have said to really like Fried but that can’t happen so a Wright, Riley, and another piece would hopefully do it but they’ll probably want one of Anderson or Waters in there.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    True, but the longer this drags out there's just as much chance those suitors actually become more hesitant to include that fourth (or even third) year - I can't imagine ANYONE has told his representation "here's our four year offer, it's on the table for you to accept whenever you feel like it so go ahead and shop it around as long as you like". Those additional Washington signees could easily have changed the amount they'd want to defer in case they want to stay below the luxury tax line in 2020. The Rangers might have decided that they're definitely not interested in giving him the fourth year since Jung should be ready some time in 2021 - especially since they've signed Frazier. And so on for the other suitors.

He's not going to be a "bargain" by any stretch, but it's becoming easier by the day to agree with those who think he might have overplayed his hand when the "first team to 4/$110 million" stuff got out there.
    Actually it's pretty likely that every team in current negotiations with JD have a standing offer, since we know they have made an offer and none of them have moved on. And it's very doubtful anyone has changed their offers at this point, since JD hasn't signed and none of them have moved on. In what world would it make sense to decrease your offer when other suitors are bidding against you?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Actually it's pretty likely that every team in current negotiations with JD have a standing offer, since we know they have made an offer and none of them have moved on. And it's very doubtful anyone has changed their offers at this point, since JD hasn't signed and none of them have moved on. In what world would it make sense to decrease your offer when other suitors are bidding against you?
    I didn't say anyone would have decreased their offer - simply that they obviously haven't come anywhere close to what he's rumored to want and left that number there for him to shop, otherwise there would likely have been an announcement by now. I don't think it would be surprising at all for any or several of the teams involved to have said "we're prepared to increase our offer to X if he signs right now, but if that's a number you're going to shop to the Braves and other teams, our offer is Y". If he had an offer "in hand" from Washington or Minnesota in the 4/$100 million range, he would have already told AA - and apparently may have already been told "thanks but no thanks".

It's a lot like buying a car - "what's it going to take to get you to take this home today?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts

wow... very heavy hitting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I guess JD is waiting for somebody to get desperate and up their offer but I don’t see it happening at this stage. He has everybody’s offers and he’s just sitting on them. He’s hoping Bryant gets traded and somebody has to overpay for him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    I didn't say anyone would have decreased their offer - simply that they obviously haven't come anywhere close to what he's rumored to want and left that number there for him to shop, otherwise there would likely have been an announcement by now. I don't think it would be surprising at all for any or several of the teams involved to have said "we're prepared to increase our offer to X if he signs right now, but if that's a number you're going to shop to the Braves and other teams, our offer is Y". If he had an offer "in hand" from Washington or Minnesota in the 4/$100 million range, he would have already told AA - and apparently may have already been told "thanks but no thanks".

It's a lot like buying a car - "what's it going to take to get you to take this home today?"
    Yeah that's not really how negotiations work in a market like this. Agents aren't stupid. If you're willing to pay a certain amount of money today, there really isn't a reason you wouldn't pay the same amount tomorrow unless you're actually moving on to other options or the market changes (i.e. the amount of bidders changes).
    Last edited by Carp; 01-14-2020 at 04:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Yeah that's not really how negotiations work in a market like this. If you're willing to pay a certain amount of money today, there really isn't a reason you wouldn't pay the same amount tomorrow unless you're actually moving on to other options or the market changes (i.e. the amount of bidders changes)
    Wait... you're telling me that negotiating baseball contracts isn't exactly like negotiating for a car?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

Carp (01-14-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Wait... you're telling me that negotiating baseball contracts isn't exactly like negotiating for a car?
    Shocking isn't it.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

zbhargrove (01-14-2020)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    600 Posts
    3/85 with a 4th year incentive based option seems right to me for Donaldson. 25 mil a year. The option starts as a club option with a 10 mil buyout. If Donaldson say hits 60 homers over the original 3 years the option becomes a vesting option. If he hits a total of 80 it becomes a player option.

Something like that anyway.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Slippyjms For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-14-2020)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    In the meantime backup plans like Shaw and Frazier have signed. I'd feel alot better about this situation if we had a real platoon between Riley and Camargo.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Bos and Cora part ways.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherders View Post
    In the meantime backup plans like Shaw and Frazier have signed. I'd feel alot better about this situation if we had a real platoon between Riley and Camargo.
    Well, they do both physically exist...