JD clearly wanted to return. He almost seemed sad

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    JD clearly wanted to return. He almost seemed sad
    Yeah I think so too. If our offer had been within 10M of the Twins maybe we get him. Just hope AA is able to find something that works - I didn't want JD for 5 years or even 4 really, but that's a lot of solid production and defense that just walked out the door

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    JD is saying we didn’t offer him anything until late, like the day before. So the reports were pretty far off. I’m not sure they were ever that serious about him to be honest. If they were they wouldn’t have waited till the day before to make him an offer.
    Where and when did JD say we didn’t make an offer until the day before the Twins?

EDIT: Nevermind. I saw the follow up interview. Wow. That breaks my heart. He legit sounded like he was in shock and devastated that we didn’t want him back enough to make him a real offer. Sigh. Minnesota gets him for 4/92 and a fifth year option. I bet had we offered him 3/75 with a fourth year team option and a buyout he would have stayed with us for less money overall but more money annually.

Sigh. Time to move on. I hope AA has a plan.
    Last edited by tululush; 01-17-2020 at 10:16 PM.

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    A part of me thinks with Ozuna still not having signed yet that we can afford him. I’m confident there is no way AA will stand pat with this roster as it is constructed at this moment. He’s working on something(s) but the way he works in stealth mode we may not know what they are until a trade or free agent signing is announced as official though.

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acuña’s Bat Flip View Post
    A part of me thinks with Ozuna still not having signed yet that we can afford him. I’m confident there is no way AA will stand pat with this roster as it is constructed at this moment. He’s working on something(s) but the way he works in stealth mode we may not know what they are until a trade or free agent signing is announced as official though.
    AA usually makes stealthy moves and moves nobody sees coming. Someone on this board mentioned this player in passing the other day, and I’d love to have him play third for us next year. Jose Ramirez.

He’s signed for the next three seasons at 6 million, 9 million and 2 million respectively. He’s 27 and would be a good power/speed bat for us. The Indians are in rebuild mode so I’m sure we could help them with some prospects. Not sure what it would cost, but despite his horrid first half last season I’d still love to have him.

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Since all the reports on the Braves offer to JD seemed to be false we might as well discount all the other reports too. E.g. the supposed lack of confidence in KB‘s defense at 3rd. The fact that we only made JD an actual offer a couple days ago let‘s me wonder if AA hasn‘t been waiting on Bryant‘s grievance to be settled all along. Imo he‘s exactly what we need: plays 3rd, middle of the order bat, controllable for (maybe) 2 years, cheaper than JD, puts butts in the seats and we have the prospects to get him without sacrifing the farm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    AA usually makes stealthy moves and moves nobody sees coming. Someone on this board mentioned this player in passing the other day, and I’d love to have him play third for us next year. Jose Ramirez.

He’s signed for the next three seasons at 6 million, 9 million and 2 million respectively. He’s 27 and would be a good power/speed bat for us. The Indians are in rebuild mode so I’m sure we could help them with some prospects. Not sure what it would cost, but despite his horrid first half last season I’d still love to have him.
    The Indians are actually not in rebuild mode. They're trying to rebuild while staying in their competitive window. They are still a playoff team this year in that division.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Any chance castellanos would take the jd deal from last year? If he hits like he did in Chicago and tries to become bad instead of horrible on d....then he hits the market at 28

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Any chance castellanos would take the jd deal from last year? If he hits like he did in Chicago and tries to become bad instead of horrible on d....then he hits the market at 28
    Highly unlikely. Too much interest in him, plus he doesn't have the injury questions Donaldson did. Really hard to see Castellanos having to settle for a pillow deal. If anyone was offering Donaldson a multi-year deal last winter before he signed with the Braves, it had to be for pennies on the dollar. Puig can likely be had on a one-year deal.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Where and when did JD say we didn’t make an offer until the day before the Twins?

EDIT: Nevermind. I saw the follow up interview. Wow. That breaks my heart. He legit sounded like he was in shock and devastated that we didn’t want him back enough to make him a real offer. Sigh. Minnesota gets him for 4/92 and a fifth year option. I bet had we offered him 3/75 with a fourth year team option and a buyout he would have stayed with us for less money overall but more money annually.

Yeah he wanted to come back no doubt. AA didn’t really pursue him much and it seemed to shock JD. He must have something else going on if he didn’t wanna make a realistic offer.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    It seems like AA severely underestimated the market for JD. He signed an expensive BP arm early while thinking JD would be far cheaper than he ended up being. As always, the DH allows AL teams to take bigger risks on aging offensive players.

My main concern with the Smith signing was that it would hamper the Braves ability to upgrade the roster in the future. Turns out that future may already be here. It’s not time to panic yet, but AA needs to cook something up if the offense is to be anything close to what it was last year.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    I dont blame AA for not going to 4 years, that last year or even last 2 years could end up being really bad. Minnesota doesnt have a ton of big deals, and have alot of their players on pretty cheap deals, and they have the DH, so they can take that risk.

AA does need to find a way to add one of Ozuna/NC/KB depending on cost obviously, if so, i think the overall team would be better with the loss of JD, and one of them. I think the team is much improved overall right now, just need to add a cleanup hitter as the final piece to the puzzle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    It seems like AA severely underestimated the market for JD. He signed an expensive BP arm early while thinking JD would be far cheaper than he ended up being. As always, the DH allows AL teams to take bigger risks on aging offensive players.

My main concern with the Smith signing was that it would hamper the Braves ability to upgrade the roster in the future. Turns out that future may already be here. It’s not time to panic yet, but AA needs to cook something up if the offense is to be anything close to what it was last year.
    Combination of Smith and Hamels (18M) made it obvious we would be sacrificing some hitting for pitching in 2020. The Hamels deal surprised me. But a one year deal makes it pretty good from a risk management perspective.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Combination of Smith and Hamels (18M) made it obvious we would be sacrificing some hitting for pitching in 2020. The Hamels deal surprised me. But a one year deal makes it pretty good from a risk management perspective.
    I wouldnt say that, AA clearly wanted JD back, he just didnt wanna go into the 4 year guaranteed range. Which could be a very problematic deal in a few years. I still think he adds a cleanup hitter, he cant go into the year with the lineup the way it is. There's just too many easy outs in there for a pitcher.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Just add ozuna or cast and a lh hitting utility IF (trading for Adam Frazier is my preference), and the offense will be fine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    I wouldnt say that, AA clearly wanted JD back, he just didnt wanna go into the 4 year guaranteed range. Which could be a very problematic deal in a few years. I still think he adds a cleanup hitter, he cant go into the year with the lineup the way it is. There's just too many easy outs in there for a pitcher.
    I predict Acuna will hit cleanup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Just add ozuna or cast and a lh hitting utility IF (trading for Adam Frazier is my preference), and the offense will be fine
    We are more likely to add a significant hitter at the deadline. Someone like Gallo or Haniger.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    We are more likely to add a significant hitter at the deadline. Someone like Gallo or Haniger.
    You smarter than me on roster building/available players and such... shouldn't we be pursuing a LHH utility type if the plan is Riley/camargo at 3b?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    You smarter than me on roster building/available players and such... shouldn't we be pursuing a LHH utility type if the plan is Riley/camargo at 3b?
    Yes. Someone like Brock Holt.

Maybe Solarte can help if he regains his form.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Solarte may prove to be a clever pickup. My Padre buddy thinks a lot of him.

However, while little strokes that are meaningful are always a welcome quality in a GM, our boy needs one big master stroke right now. Hechevarria and Solarte and even Holt dont help the crater in the middle of the lineup.