Page 267 of 289 FirstFirst ... 167217257265266267268269277 ... LastLast
Results 5,321 to 5,340 of 5779

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I'm still pretty skeptical of the Reds overall, but they have substantially improved this offseason. I'm not sure what their ceiling is though because now that Votto has declined, they seem to have a bunch of good players but no great players. Outside of Suarez, do they have a position player that'll be worth more than 3 wins next year? Moose and Castellanos may be around 3 wins. I don't see anyone from the Votto, Barnhart, Galvis, or Winker group getting more than 2 wins a piece. Maybe Aquino can be pretty good. Maybe Senzel or Akiyama will be good for them. But generally, I don't think that offense is as strong as a lot of people think it'll be.

Before the Castellanos signing, ZiPS had the Reds starting lineup at 17.8 WAR with Aquino, Winker, and Ervin in the cOF spots. Castellanos MAY add another win to that total. For reference, ZiPS had the Braves starting lineup at 23.6 WAR before we signed Ozuna. So from a projection standpoint, the Reds offense is still significantly behind the Braves, even when we were complaining about the offense pre-Ozuna.

As far as their rotation is concerned, I think its much better than it was but still not as good as people think it'll be. They may be a wild card contender, but I still just don't see them as being a major threat for a WS or anything like some people do.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    I have a friend who is a Reds fan and he's praying with everything holy that Cincy trades Senzel in a package for Lindor.

I will say, the Reds have improved greatly, but they're a legitimate WS contender with Lindor.

Lindor, Votto, Suarez, Moustakas, Castellanos, Aquino, Akiyama, Barnhardt is CRAZY.
    Strong hypothetical lineup, WS contender, not sure about that. Would be damn good.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I'm still pretty skeptical of the Reds overall, but they have substantially improved this offseason. I'm not sure what their ceiling is though because now that Votto has declined, they seem to have a bunch of good players but no great players. Outside of Suarez, do they have a position player that'll be worth more than 3 wins next year? Moose and Castellanos may be around 3 wins. I don't see anyone from the Votto, Barnhart, Galvis, or Winker group getting more than 2 wins a piece. Maybe Aquino can be pretty good. Maybe Senzel or Akiyama will be good for them. But generally, I don't think that offense is as strong as a lot of people think it'll be.

Before the Castellanos signing, ZiPS had the Reds starting lineup at 17.8 WAR with Aquino, Winker, and Ervin in the cOF spots. Castellanos MAY add another win to that total. For reference, ZiPS had the Braves starting lineup at 23.6 WAR before we signed Ozuna. So from a projection standpoint, the Reds offense is still significantly behind the Braves, even when we were complaining about the offense pre-Ozuna.

As far as their rotation is concerned, I think its much better than it was but still not as good as people think it'll be. They may be a wild card contender, but I still just don't see them as being a major threat for a WS or anything like some people do.
    I think they're division favorites on paper. Cubs are in transition, Cards lost Ozuna and havent added a bat to replace him, Brewers lost Moose and Grandal with SP remaining a big ?, Pirates are rebuilding. Probably not a WS contender but they can make the playoffs and win that division.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mad Dog Murph's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    243 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
    Yep, you could argue that the collapse of Nick Esasky and Bruce Sutter is what stopped the run the Braves were on in the early 80s.
    Except the Braves “run” in the early 80’s ended in 84 and Esasky played in 1990.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mad Dog Murph For This Useful Post:

Eyeman (01-30-2020), JohnAdcox (01-30-2020)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    With the new ruling now clarified(official), which pitchers make the Braves opening day roster.
    Last edited by salmagundy; 01-29-2020 at 08:38 PM.
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    With the new ruling now clarified(official), which pitchers make the Braves opening day roster.
    Health provided, i think....

Hamels/Soroka/Fried/Folty/Newk or Wright in rotation.

O'Day/Smith/Greene/Melancon/Martin/Jackson/Webb/Newk or Dayton.

Man that bullpen on paper compared to last year is night and day, and there's plenty of depth behind them.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-30-2020), jpx7 (01-29-2020)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Didn't check schedule but is this another April like recent years where the schedule is compliant enough to where we don't need 5 starters the first few weeks and only need 4?
    Forever Fredi

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    Didn't check schedule but is this another April like recent years where the schedule is compliant enough to where we don't need 5 starters the first few weeks and only need 4?
    Nope. We start the season with 7 games in a row before the first off day.

Edit: And then another 17 in a row before the second off day.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowman For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-29-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Nope. We start the season with 7 games in a row before the first off day.

Edit: And then another 17 in a row before the second off day.
    Holy ****. I’ve never seen that before.

At least I won’t have to worry about being teased by a game or two, only to immediately have a day without Braves baseball. Hate that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Holy ****. I’ve never seen that before.

At least I won’t have to worry about being teased by a game or two, only to immediately have a day without Braves baseball. Hate that.
    Arizona has a dome and San Diego has great weather that time of the year. So no need to schedule the day off that a lot of teams do in case opening day needs to be made up.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Sounds like Dodgers are gonna get Mookie. That lineup with him is ridiculous, who do you even pitch around?

C- Will Smith, 1B- Muncy, 2B- Lux, SS- Seager, 3B- Turner, LF- Pederson, CF- Bellinger, RF- Betts

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Sounds like Dodgers are gonna get Mookie. That lineup with him is ridiculous, who do you even pitch around?

C- Will Smith, 1B- Muncy, 2B- Lux, SS- Seager, 3B- Turner, LF- Pederson, CF- Bellinger, RF- Betts
    It would be tough but good pitching can shut any lineup down. I think Boston is very smart in trading Mookie. I think the Friars are also close on a deal I bet they end up getting him if Boston trades him.
    Coppy

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    It would be tough but good pitching can shut any lineup down. I think Boston is very smart in trading Mookie. I think the Friars are also close on a deal I bet they end up getting him if Boston trades him.
    Sounds like Dodgers are more likely to get him right now. I agree Boston's smart to move him though.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    If LA is willing to give up Verdugo, I don't see how the Padres have much of a shot unless they are willing to massively overpay in prospects.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Yeah Padres arent offering anything close to him alone, rumored Dodgers offer is Gonsolin/Downs/Verdugo, maybe another piece or so. Not sure if they take Price but if Verdugo's in the deal, Padres are gonna have to up that offer, their current rumored offer doesnt touch that.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Yeah Padres arent offering anything close to him alone, rumored Dodgers offer is Gonsolin/Downs/Verdugo, maybe another piece or so. Not sure if they take Price but if Verdugo's in the deal, Padres are gonna have to up that offer, their current rumored offer doesnt touch that.
    I might be behind. Last I saw was Friars have a deal in place just haggling over Myers contract. If the Sox were taking Myers back then I figured the players going back would be a lot. So the Dodgers are giving that up AND taking Price. That seems like a huge over pay for Betts.
    Coppy

20. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-30-2020)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    I might be behind. Last I saw was Friars have a deal in place just haggling over Myers contract. If the Sox were taking Myers back then I figured the players going back would be a lot. So the Dodgers are giving that up AND taking Price. That seems like a huge over pay for Betts.
    Never seen Padres have a deal in place. If Boston can shed Price's contract, and get back Verdugo, and a couple other pieces, that is a lot better than what the Padres are offering. Not even offering Patino, Trammel or Abrams.

Latest info seems to have Dodgers in the lead for Mookie.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Last I saw, the Padres were offering either Margot or Naylor, plus either Quantrill or Lucchesi, and just to get those two the Red Sox were going to have to take back half of Myers' contract. My reaction to that would have been "keep him and take the QO pick." They're not even in the same solar system as that Dodgers offer.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Last I saw, the Padres were offering either Margot or Naylor, plus either Quantrill or Lucchesi, and just to get those two the Red Sox were going to have to take back half of Myers' contract. My reaction to that would have been "keep him and take the QO pick." They're not even in the same solar system as that Dodgers offer.
    Yeah that is what I saw. Friars wanted them to take 75% of Myers. Sox only wanted to take 50. But the Dodger deal is way better. They get a great prospect and shed price. That is huge.
    Coppy

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Yeah that is what I saw. Friars wanted them to take 75% of Myers. Sox only wanted to take 50. But the Dodger deal is way better. They get a great prospect and shed price. That is huge.
    It's the difference between a straight up salary dump garbage trade and an actual trade in which you get a reasonable return. The smart move now is to ask the Padres if they want to up their offer, but you know there's a tiny little vindictive part of the brain that just wants to give them the finger now.