Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    We need Cole Hamels.
    On a 1 year deal, i'd be fine with that. I think he'll try for one last payday, can see Philly bring him back.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    So, what happens with JD? If he turns down our QO, we get a pick, but if we sign him, we lose a pick?
    We get a pick after the 1st round if he signs elsewhere. If we sign him, nothing really happens, dont gain or lose a pick.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Lose the pick we would have gotten when he signed elsewhere

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    So, what happens with JD? If he turns down our QO, we get a pick, but if we sign him, we lose a pick?
    If he turns down our QO and he signs elsewhere, we get that team's pick. If he turns down our QO and he signs with us, nothing happens. We sign him and that's it. The QO kind of helps us with negotiating bc we essentially have more wiggle room since we wouldn't have to forfeit a pick to sign him.

A few people have said if we sign him after WE offer him a QO that we forfeit a pick? Where did that misinformation start? Lol logically, where would that pick go that we forfeit? It makes no sense from a common sense stand point.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Markakis is a perfectly legitimate option as a bat off the bench or as the left handed side of a cheap platoon. I have no problem paying him 4 million for that role.
    I don't break out in hives the way some do at the mention of Markakis, but I don't see him as a great bench option simply because there's little positional flexibility with him. That means he likely ends up as part of a platoon, which means the Braves better have a RHH cOF on the roster when the break camp next spring. I don't have a problem with Joyce, but he was another LHH. The RHH OF options going north last season were Camargo and Culberson, neither of whom is a legitimate OF. Always thought that was a bit odd in terms of optimal roster construction. Maybe Duvall is there from Day 1 next year.

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    If he turns down our QO and he signs elsewhere, we get that team's pick. If he turns down our QO and he signs with us, nothing happens. We sign him and that's it. The QO kind of helps us with negotiating bc we essentially have more wiggle room since we wouldn't have to forfeit a pick to sign him.

A few people have said if we sign him after WE offer him a QO that we forfeit a pick? Where did that misinformation start? Lol logically, where would that pick go that we forfeit? It makes no sense from a common sense stand point.
    It was part of Enscheff's comment. I know that we would get a pick if someone else signs him. I was just wondering if we were getting back a lesser pick than what we would forfeit? I dunno, I just assumed if we signed him that the pick would be a moot point which gives us leverage in contract discussions, like you said. I'm all for bringing him back, but needs to be something like 3 years / $50 mil with the 3rd year as a club or mutual option.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post

This isn’t how it’s worked for many years now. Picks do not change hands. Whether or not you understand the rules, or the logic behind the statement you’re attempting to mock is irrelevant.

The Braves will get a pick in the 30s if JD signs elsewhere for $50M+, and a pick after the second round if he signs for less than $50M. Therefore, once he declines the QO it will cost the Braves that pick to resign him.

Any other team that signs him, for any amount, will lose picks based on their market size and luxury tax situation.

It is not complicated logic to understand that as of right now the Braves have a draft picks, and they will lose that draft pick if they sign JD. Couple that with the fact AA hasn’t shown a willingness to give aging players multiyear deals, and it’s not to to reason out why JD probably isn’t coming back.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Just putting that out there. Our boy Kurt Suzuki

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    It is not misinformation, just interpretation. If he re-signs with us, we would not get the pick from the other team because he didn’t sign with them. Thus we effectively lose that pick by re-signing him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post

That is an incredible picture lol

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    It was part of Enscheff's comment. I know that we would get a pick if someone else signs him. I was just wondering if we were getting back a lesser pick than what we would forfeit? I dunno, I just assumed if we signed him that the pick would be a moot point which gives us leverage in contract discussions, like you said. I'm all for bringing him back, but needs to be something like 3 years / $50 mil with the 3rd year as a club or mutual option.
    I’m no sales engineer, and even I understand what’s going on...

The Braves, as of the moment JD signs with another team, will get a pick in the 30s.

If the Braves resign him, they do not get that pick.

Therefore, logic dictates resigning JD will cost them a pick in the 30s, and must be factored into his overall cost.

This calculus changes if he is sitting on the market in February and it’s clear no other team is going to give him $50M. At that point, his draft cost to the Braves is a pick in the 60s, and it might make sense to grab him on a short term deal. If no team is going to sign him until after the draft, then the draft cost to the Braves becomes 0, and it makes a lot of sense to sign him to a short term deal.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-04-2019 at 04:31 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    It’s a tough pill to swallow because how fun he was to watch last season, but it’s probably best if JD is a 1 and done with the Braves.

The Braves need to find younger core players to pair with the Acuna/Albies/Fried/Soroka group. The only exceptions should be short years, high AAV mercenaries.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    It is not misinformation, just interpretation. If he re-signs with us, we would not get the pick from the other team because he didn’t sign with them. Thus we effectively lose that pick by re-signing him.

Again, the Braves do not get a pick from the other team. Draft picks no longer trade hands, and haven’t for many years now.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post

That’s photoshopped right? No way that’s real lol

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    I am not saying it comes from the other team, just that it comes as a result of him signing with another team. Please allow me to agree with you.😀

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    That’s photoshopped right? No way that’s real lol
    Oh it's real.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    On a 1 year deal, i'd be fine with that. I think he'll try for one last payday, can see Philly bring him back.
    Could be. I wonder what the Julio option decline says about what we do with the rotation. I'd leave Newk alone where he is, I just do not believe in him as a starter, but it seems likely that AA will try this. That leave us with Folty, Soroka and Max. Julio would've been a value at $12 mil, so passing on him for a FA on a 1 year deal seems sorta stupid.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I find it odd the Braves didn’t want to pay a pitcher $12M who was guaranteed by a very smart baseball mind to post a career best 3.3 FIP in 2019. Weird...

Clearly the Braves need to inject more brainpower into the organization by hiring a few sales engineers.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    He's basically saying we dont lose a pick, and we dont gain a pick if we sign him.

But as great as JD was, signing him for his age 34 and 35 seasons is something i'm not sure AA would do.

I am interested what AA does if he doesnt pay JD, needs to add to the lineup somehow. You pretty much have to go after Grandal as long as the years arent crazy.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Could be. I wonder what the Julio option decline says about what we do with the rotation. I'd leave Newk alone where he is, I just do not believe in him as a starter, but it seems likely that AA will try this. That leave us with Folty, Soroka and Max. Julio would've been a value at $12 mil, so passing on him for a FA on a 1 year deal seems sorta stupid.
    While maybe true, we've invested alot of resources in SP.

Have some sort of Wright, Touki, Wilson, Anderson, among others who can fill in and dont cost 12 million. Julio didnt even start a playoff game, that should have told us everything about Julio.