Page 44 of 289 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494144 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    If Contreras is available then he becomes my #1 target. He’s not a FA until 2023 and his brother could potentially back him up one day. He’d be around 2 million in salary so you could still sign JD and probably Hamels. If AA could pull that off then the offseason would be a huge success.
    Yes but i doubt comes out cheap! I believe the Braves need to start moving some players that don’t belong to our future.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Contreras is an interesting target. I wonder if the Cubs have any love for Riley.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    The Rox might make Jon Gray available according to MLBTR.
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    So would we have to chip in a little more to get Tyler flowers balls back or just Contreras hold those personally and that would just come along with the package
    Coppy

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Trade for Willson bring Williams up when ready. Brother tandem for years to come.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    The Cubs would have interest in Riley I’d think. His power would play pretty good at Wrigley. I really hope AA is all over this bc it would solve a big hole for us while leaving us with a chunk of money left to fill 3b and SP with better options.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,986 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I'm trying to think of creative ways to deal with the Melancon situation. I think it would be ideal to pawn off his contract on someone else, but is there any way that we could do that while also adding a helpful offensive piece? Maybe attach a prospect or something to a team in need of bullpen help in order to get a right handed outfielder? I don't really think Melancon has much, if any, tangible value on his own. But if we could figure out a way to do a contract swap for a better player by attaching a prospect to him then I would be all for it.
    Turner from LA (as part of a larger trade) or Seagar from Seattle are the only viable options I see. Ian Kennedy is another, but it's basically another Melancon situation even though he's better than Melancon.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Turner from LA (as part of a larger trade) or Seagar from Seattle are the only viable options I see. Ian Kennedy is another, but it's basically another Melancon situation even though he's better than Melancon.
    Plus he has a NTC and there is no way he agrees to go to the Mariners

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Still cant believe AA took on ALL of MM's salary, there has to be something more to that.

I'd love Contreras, big fan of his, top 5 catcher in the game, maybe higher. 3 years of control, but he'd fill a massive need for the next few years. Not really sure what a package would cost for him. Would probably cost some of our pitching depth.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Mentioned a potential Contreras trade in post #743. As also mentioned, they might have some interest in Riley, but I still think they'd have more interest in an arm. Just not sure how Riley would fit - they're already weak defensively with Schwarber in LF, would they really move Bryant to RF and Heyward to CF when Bryant's a better defensive 3B than Riley?

If AA is interested in giving Donaldson the 3 years he's likely to be looking for, a Contreras/Riley trade would work out amazingly for us though. If he could close the 3B/C holes for $25 million, I'd love to see him add Pineda and Pomeranz and call it a winter. Then hope that one of Wright/Wilson/Anderson/Davidson wins the 5th SP job so Newk stays in the pen. A Melancon/Pomeranz/Greene/Newk/O'Day back-end would be awesome. Maybe look into bringing Tomlin back if they feel like they need a long man.

Even Snitker couldn't screw up an Acuna/Ozzie/Freddie/Donaldson/Contreras/Markakis/Dansby/Ender lineup. He'd try his best to flip-flop Contreras and Markakis to have the R/L/R/L deal, but would anybody really care that much as long as it was Contreras that was following him?
    Last edited by clvclv; 11-09-2019 at 10:23 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I just read an article by that Jake Macaroni guy at Tomahawk Take, and I've gotta say... dude has some of the most hilariously bad takes I've ever seen. Its actually really entertaining. He was talking about 5 prospects that he could see being traded and the last one he was talking about was Drew Waters when he said this:

"The switch-hitter has proven himself to be a very good hitter with speed.

But if I’m being honest, at best he becomes Ender Inciarte."

I defy you to come up with a worse player comp than Drew Waters' ceiling being Ender Inciarte. He wasn't even saying that he thinks Drew Waters is likely to turn into an Ender Inciarte player, which would be ridiculous in its own right. He's saying that the absolute best case scenario for Drew Waters is that he turns into Ender Inciarte. I hope that guy never quits. Its so fun to read his stuff.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I just read an article by that Jake Macaroni guy at Tomahawk Take, and I've gotta say... dude has some of the most hilariously bad takes I've ever seen. Its actually really entertaining. He was talking about 5 prospects that he could see being traded and the last one he was talking about was Drew Waters when he said this:

"The switch-hitter has proven himself to be a very good hitter with speed.

But if I’m being honest, at best he becomes Ender Inciarte."

I defy you to come up with a worse player comp than Drew Waters' ceiling being Ender Inciarte. He wasn't even saying that he thinks Drew Waters is likely to turn into an Ender Inciarte player, which would be ridiculous in its own right. He's saying that the absolute best case scenario for Drew Waters is that he turns into Ender Inciarte. I hope that guy never quits. Its so fun to read his stuff.
    TC has some pretty bad writers. Mostly wannabes with no talent trying to get their careers started and are willing to contribute free content.

I always pegged Waters upside as something like Eaton.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    TC has some pretty bad writers. Mostly wannabes with no talent trying to get their careers started and are willing to contribute free content.

I always pegged Waters upside as something like Eaton.
    That seems like a reasonable comp. Could see that with worse a little contact and a little more power.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Mentioned a potential Contreras trade in post #743. As also mentioned, they might have some interest in Riley, but I still think they'd have more interest in an arm. Just not sure how Riley would fit - they're already weak defensively with Schwarber in LF, would they really move Bryant to RF and Heyward to CF when Bryant's a better defensive 3B than Riley?

If AA is interested in giving Donaldson the 3 years he's likely to be looking for, a Contreras/Riley trade would work out amazingly for us though. If he could close the 3B/C holes for $25 million, I'd love to see him add Pineda and Pomeranz and call it a winter. Then hope that one of Wright/Wilson/Anderson/Davidson wins the 5th SP job so Newk stays in the pen. A Melancon/Pomeranz/Greene/Newk/O'Day back-end would be awesome. Maybe look into bringing Tomlin back if they feel like they need a long man.

Even Snitker couldn't screw up an Acuna/Ozzie/Freddie/Donaldson/Contreras/Markakis/Dansby/Ender lineup. He'd try his best to flip-flop Contreras and Markakis to have the R/L/R/L deal, but would anybody really care that much as long as it was Contreras that was following him?
    That’s like I said earlier. Contreras is cheap as far as salary goes so you could splurge on Donaldson and still have enough for Hamels and Pomeranz. That’s crazy to me but it could all happen in our budget.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    The cubs make guys “available “ every year and then don’t trade them. I don’t see any reason they would trade him without a huge overpay. Which AA won’t do
    Coppy

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Interesting thought on a potential Contreras deal - wonder what it might take to expand it to include Happ coming back this way? Wouldn't something centered around Wright/Wilson/Anderson and Ender make worlds more sense for them? They're looking for inexpensive rotation help, and Ender would allow them to leave Heyward, Bryant, and Baez where they're better suited to play on defense. They could cut-bait on Russell (or trade him if they could find a taker) to cover most of Ender's salary and plug Hoerner in at 2B.

At that point signing Moose instead of Donaldson might make a lot of sense - you gain the draft pick, plus save enough money to add Garcia as well. Garcia takes over in RF (buying Pache and Waters all the time they could possibly need) plus you add another inexpensive super-utility guy that switch-hits to fill the 26th man spot. Let Culberson walk next winter when he becomes a little more expensive and replace him with Shewmake. Moose/Contreras/Garcia/Happ should only add around $25 million, leaving AA plenty of money to spend on whichever SP he chooses (you'd pick up another $5+ million replacing Ender with Happ) and possibly one more pen piece.

Not sure you could map out a better offseason than being able to clear Ender so Pache/Waters can take over as soon as they're ready PLUS Contreras (cleanup hitter), Moose (#5 hitter), Garcia (#6 hitter), Happ (26th man and backup CF until the kids are ready), Wheeler, Pomeranz, and O'Day. Sure you lose the Donaldson pick by signing Wheeler, but I think a lot of people could live with that.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Someone really likes to read their own writings lol.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Someone really likes to read their own writings lol.
    Seriously? You're criticizing ANYONE about their post count and amount of time they spend posting here???

WOW. Might be your most interesting post ever.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Are the cubs rebuilding and I wasn’t informed.
    Coppy

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Don't think the Cubs are rebuilding but Bryant may be declared a free agent sooner if collusion is proven/admitted. Pending CBA has lots to do with this IMO. Why Cubs seem anxious/willing to move Contreras is a mystery. They do need OF help. See MLB.com and Bruce Levine podcasts. We all know they need pitching so maybe some truth and maybe some fishing.