Page 7 of 289 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Putting Riley or Camargo at 3rd only works if they get a beast COF.
    even then...probably not.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I think Grandal on a 1-2 year deal should be priority #1.

A Soroka extension also needs to be explored.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,269 Posts
    I idly wonder if we'd potentially have an interest in Betts if the Red Sox actually decide to put him on the block. We've shown we're willing to shell out big money on short-term deals, and Betts' huge arbitration payday would only be a few million more than we paid Donaldson last year. I don't see Anthopolous giving up huge trade capital for a one-year rental, but if the lack of long-term control and big money keeps the trade price down, it could be a worthwhile risk for a team smack dab in the middle of a contention window.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I think Grandal on a 1-2 year deal should be priority #1.

A Soroka extension also needs to be explored.
    A Soroka extension makes sense for both parties. The Braves get a chance to have a tremendous pitcher at a bargain price but take the risk of him getting hurt. Soroka, who already has had shoulder issues, gets financial security that is guaranteed even in the event of another shoulder injury.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    IF
    Freeman (22.4)
    Albies (1.0)
    Swanson (3.3)
    Culberson (1.8)
    Camargo (1.6)
    Riley (.6)

OF (24.7)
    Acuna (1.0)
    Inciarte (7.7)
    Castellanos (16) 2yr $32 million

Two scrubs making close to nothing. I'll take Joyce back if he wants to come for a similar contract.

C
    2 FA (12.0)

SP (27.4)
    Wheeler (25.0) 4 yr - $100 million A complete guess on his market.
    Soroka (0.6)
    Fried (0.6)
    Newcomb (0.6)
    5th (.6)

RP (11.4)
    Jackson (1.9)
    Greene (6.5)
    Minter (.6)
    Sobotka (.6)
    Wilson (.6)
    Webb (.6)
    Rotating from AAA (.6)

Roughly $107.5 Million

I'm packaging Folty and Melancon for salary relief/prospects.

Wright/Toussaint/Wiegel/Muller get first shot at the #5 spot. If Newc can't re-establish himself in the rotation, he can head back to the pen when Anderson is fully ready. Pache can replace a scrub when he's ready and get a nice 4 man rotation going in the OF. Waters replaces Inciarte in 2020-2021. Riley slots in at 3b with a chance to get back on track. Camargo is the super sub, back-up plan at 3b. If Riley/Camargo can't fill 3b long term, I've given myself enough time to figure out who of Wright/Toussaint/Muller and Wiegel to deal for the 3B I need and have salary to accommodate that spot.

Doesn't have to Castellanos and Wheeler, but that's where I'd spend the money and would prefer to find younger players entering FA that seem to have found out how to be successful and might be ready to explode.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    I think Grandal checks off a lot of needs in one spot. Getting a catcher who can hit middle of the order checks off so many boxes for your offense. But I would worry about that deal's length. I would guess a minimum of three years and that's where I have some heartburn.

I feel like they've had so much good luck cobbling together catching solutions cheap that we might be looking at that again. A guy like Cervelli who has hit in the past but may have a depressed market due to his injury history might be a good option.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Anyone thinking the Braves are going to shell out a 4 year deal to a SP hasn’t been paying attention to the AA FO. They are too smart to lock the team into a pitcher on the wrong side of 30, and we should all be thankful for that.

Wheeler is a guy who may be available mid-season similar to DK if his ask is way out of line with his actual value.

Getting back to a Soroka extension, the Kluber extension back in 2015 is a good comparison. The Indians signed Kluber for 5/38 to guarantee his team control years in exchange for a couple of $14M options. A similar 7 year deal for Soroka will give the Braves control over the entirety of his 20s.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I think Grandal checks off a lot of needs in one spot. Getting a catcher who can hit middle of the order checks off so many boxes for your offense. But I would worry about that deal's length. I would guess a minimum of three years and that's where I have some heartburn.

I feel like they've had so much good luck cobbling together catching solutions cheap that we might be looking at that again. A guy like Cervelli who has hit in the past but may have a depressed market due to his injury history might be a good option.

Grandal already turned down 4/60 in favor of 1/18, telling me he values a high AAV. I would be in favor of AA going as high as required to get him on a 1-2 year deal.

He should be this off seasons JD.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 10-10-2019 at 01:19 PM.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    589 Posts
    Grandal already turned down 4/60 in favor of 1/18, telling me he values a high AAV. I would be in favor of AA going as high as required to get him on a 1-2 year deal.
    How bout 2/40 with a club option for 25 million in year 3 with a 10 million buyout. Grandal is guaranteed 2/50.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    How bout 2/40 with a club option for 25 million in year 3 with a 10 million buyout. Grandal is guaranteed 2/50.
    Seems high, but something like that is what I imagine it would take.m

Hopefully 1 year plus an option.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    He misread the market like many other FAs last year. He probably just took the highest 1 year deal after the Mets offer was no longer on the table. It was only late December when he turned it down. I'd be surprised if he accepted another 1 year deal unless it was over 20 million.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    He misread the market like many other FAs last year. He probably just took the highest 1 year deal after the Mets offer was no longer on the table. It was only late December when he turned it down. I'd be surprised if he accepted another 1 year deal unless it was over 20 million.
    I'd go over 20M/year on a one or two year deal to Grandal.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Wheeler is a guy who may be available mid-season similar to DK if his ask is way out of line with his actual value.
    ehh Wheeler is younger and better than DK. i think he'll get a nice deal.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts

He should be this off seasons JD.

I'm not sure what to guess he will value this time around.

Just as an offensive presence in relation to Donaldson, Grandal is 121wRC+ vs Donaldson's 132 and a ..362 xwOBA v Donaldson's .386. So you would need to do some other things to maintain the same quality of lineup.

I've seen some speculation the Brewers might be open to moving on from Travis Shaw. That seems like an interesting LH hitting 3B who would be looking to rebound, that you could alternate with Riley if you wanted.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Pretty ****ing hilarious how you people think Cole is gonna get $35+ Million a year. Harper and Machado couldn't even get close to that and they were both a few years younger. Cole will be looking at $25M a year and the Braves need to do it. Just take what you'll save by letting DK and Julio walk and give it to him! Then you can round out the rotation with a guy like Newk or Anderson when he is ready.

Cole
    Soroka
    Folty
    Fried
    Newk/Anderson
    Enscheff is F@G

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacheaholic View Post
    Pretty ****ing hilarious how you people think Cole is gonna get $35+ Million a year. Harper and Machado couldn't even get close to that and they were both a few years younger. Cole will be looking at $25M a year and the Braves need to do it. Just take what you'll save by letting DK and Julio walk and give it to him! Then you can round out the rotation with a guy like Newk or Anderson when he is ready.

Cole
    Soroka
    Folty
    Fried
    Newk/Anderson
    What? Machado and Harper sacrificed AAV for total money. Looking at the deals Kershaw, Greinke, and Verlander have gotten recently Cole will get around 35 per year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Except he literally is quoted as saying he was looking for elite catcher pay levels of Mac and Martin. Mac had an AAV of $17M when he was elite.

Since nobody is going to give him 3+ years at $18M+, AA hopefully get him for something like 1/20.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    589 Posts

Cole
    Soroka
    Folty
    Fried
    Newk/Anderson
    See when you say it like that it makes a lot of sense. Problem is to get Cole we’d have to give up a draft pick and commit that $25 mil a year to him for 5-7 years. That’s what makes the proposition much less appealing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I'm not sure what to guess he will value this time around.

Just as an offensive presence in relation to Donaldson, Grandal is 121wRC+ vs Donaldson's 132 and a ..362 xwOBA v Donaldson's .386. So you would need to do some other things to maintain the same quality of lineup.

I've seen some speculation the Brewers might be open to moving on from Travis Shaw. That seems like an interesting LH hitting 3B who would be looking to rebound, that you could alternate with Riley if you wanted.
    Another way to look at it is this: Flowers and McCann were around a wRC+ of 89. Grandal upgrades that by 32. So we can downgrade from Donaldson's 132 by 30 at third base and still be ahead of the game.

Grandal is the single most logical target for us this off-season. Doesn't mean that we should go nuts on price or years. But it would be a very nice fit.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 10-10-2019 at 01:59 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

Cole
    Soroka
    Folty
    Fried
    Newk/Anderson
    Clueless. So very very clueless.

Another off season filled with aggressively ignorant posters asserting their moronic ideas over and over that will inevitably be proven wrong...just like every off season.

The Braves aren’t signing Cole.