Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
I don't really care what they look like moving forward. We're talking about past moves, and those moves clearly helped them win the WS. I'll say it again, I'd much rather have been a Sox/Cubs fan over the last 7 years than the Dodgers.

Suppose you could see 1 year into all possible futures and you knew the only way to guarantee a WS in 2020 is if we traded Albies, Anderson and Fried for Lindor and Kluber. Could you justify not making that trade when it guarantees you a WS title, even if it meant you may not be as good in 3 years?

There isn't one player I wouldn't trade if it guaranteed a WS title in 2020. Obviously there is no way to guarantee a title. But with the gift of hindsight, we can absolutely tell the Cubs and Sox made certain moves that absolutely allowed them to win the WS, despite it closing their windows early. There is nothing wrong with closing your window early IF it gets you your desired outcome.
Evaluating results over process is a terrible way to manage anything, and is extremely small minded.

It’s why Maddon and Dombrowski were fired.

If you bet $100 on a coin flip with the hopes of winning $50, you made the wrong choice whether or not you end up winning.