Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Really? No love for this post? Will Smith? Miami?

This was comedy gold people.
    Considering the ATLiens live in Atlanta...

WELCOME TO EARF!
    Forever Fredi

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Carp (11-15-2019), clvclv (11-15-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Just to recap the offseason so far :

Cut Julio
    Added Will Smith aka the best closer available
    Signed O Day to a cheap deal
    I'm a fan so far. Absolutely have to capitalize on the cheap years from our young talent. The time to go all in on free agency is now.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Really? No love for this post? Will Smith? Miami?

This was comedy gold people.
    i for one am not looking forward to the Will Smith jokes all year.
    i can only imagine how *he* feels.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Going to be beyond interesting to see some folks' ramblings when AA goes out and signs both Donaldson and Bumgarner,
    Even if he does, that doesn't mean it's a smart move. The Phillies spent "stupid money" last off-season and look where that got them?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i for one am not looking forward to the Will Smith jokes all year.
    i can only imagine how *he* feels.
    He might not like it at first, but by mid-season I imagine he'll be jiggy with it.

May be we'll resign Martin. Have them Bad Boys stacked up to finish off games.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Here are the 3 year contracts doled out to BP arms last year along with their 2019 xwOBA:

Kimbrel 3/43 (Cubs) - .399
    Britton 3/39 (Yanks) - .273
    Familia 3/30 (Mets) - .328
    Ottavino 3/27 (Yanks) - .269
    Kelly 3/25 (Dodgers) - .283
    Iglesias 3/24 (Reds) - .282

Here are the big contracts handed out 2 years ago to BP arms along with their 2018-2019 xwOBA:

Davis 3/52 (Rockies) - .296
    Chatwood 3/38 (Cubs) - .347
    Shaw 3/27 (Rockies) - .341
    McGee 3/27 (Rockies) - .333

For reference, Luke Jackson posted an xwOBA of .267 and performed better than all the big ticket BP arms signed last year.

I can't overstate how disappointing this move was, especially giving up the pick to do it. They very rarely work out, and now the Braves have one of them.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-15-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Here are the 3 year contracts doled out to BP arms last year along with their 2019 xwOBA:

Here are the big contracts handed out 2 years ago to BP arms along with their 2018-2019 xwOBA:

For reference, Luke Jackson posted an xwOBA of .267 and performed better than all the big ticket BP arms signed last year.

I can't overstate how disappointing this move was, especially giving up the pick to do it. They very rarely work out, and now the Braves have one of them.
    What was the xwOBA of those relievers in the two years before they signed the deal in comparison to what Will Smith's was? That might help make your case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts

Of that top list, Britton, Kelly, and Iglesias saw their wxOBA go down.

Of the bottom list, Davis saw his wxOBA go up 3 points and Chatwood 14 points. So it's not like those guys were significantly worse than their FA year.

I think the real problem with a lot of the guys who didn't work out is that they weren't that great when they got these deals. I think that might be a factor at teams getting better at identifying players worth extending and those that it's better to let walk.

I think Smith has a pretty good chance of continuing to be effective. Will he stay as effective as he has been the last few years? Hard to say.

Fangraphs appears to like the signing though:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/wild-wil...gn-will-smith/

11. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-15-2019)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Of that top list, Britton, Kelly, and Iglesias saw their wxOBA go down.

Of the bottom list, Davis saw his wxOBA go up 3 points and Chatwood 14 points. So it's not like those guys were significantly worse than their FA year.

I think the real problem with a lot of the guys who didn't work out is that they weren't that great when they got these deals. I think that might be a factor at teams getting better at identifying players worth extending and those that it's better to let walk.

I think Smith has a pretty good chance of continuing to be effective. Will he stay as effective as he has been the last few years? Hard to say.

Fangraphs appears to like the signing though:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/wild-wil...gn-will-smith/
    His Highness will be SO disappointed - wonder what kind of names he has for those hacks at that website???
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    Is it possible for you to post without it taking up half the page? And did you really have to list out the entire team?? Come on!
    Did someone hold a gun to your head and force you to read the post?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Did someone hold a gun to your head and force you to read the post?
    Yes and he said you hired him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts
    I'm not a fan of paying Melancon and Smith 27 million, but I am a huge fan that I won't be watching ball games this year with a sorry pen.

Lefty, 30 yrs old, 34 saves last year. I will choose to give AA a thumbs up for this one.
    1995 World Champs

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts

I agree with your overall premise, and I know what xwOBA says, but Jackson was extremely volatile last year. Started out the year great, but quickly became unreliable as the season went on (ERA over 5.00 in the 2nd half, BB rate and HR rates sky rocketed). I know RPs in general are volatile, but I don't see how you can say with a straight face that you'd be more comfortable with Jackson over Iglesias, Ottavino, or Britton. I mean AA thought so little of Jackson that he went out and got 2 new relievers with closing experience and another reliever that we relied on way more often than Jackson.

Certainly I don't agree with signing Smith for 3 years and giving up a pick. I'd rather have let Melancon continue to close, bring back Martin, and sign another solid piece like Clippard or Diekman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    The pick is not as bad if the plan is to sign multiple comp eligible FA. I think there are a lot of signs that point to the Braves making a statement after the embarrassment of October 9th 2019..

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    i like it

obviously risk but so be it

i don't give a **** what stat Jackson has to show him being good. i don't trust him (seriously the only player that i can't overlook what i saw from him vs stats lol )

i really don't care about the pick or what it could turn into 5 or 6 years from now. i want to ****ing win, tried of just being ok/good
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I agree with your overall premise, and I know what xwOBA says, but Jackson was extremely volatile last year. Started out the year great, but quickly became unreliable as the season went on (ERA over 5.00 in the 2nd half, BB rate and HR rates sky rocketed). I know RPs in general are volatile, but I don't see how you can say with a straight face that you'd be more comfortable with Jackson over Iglesias, Ottavino, or Britton. I mean AA thought so little of Jackson that he went out and got 2 new relievers with closing experience and another reliever that we relied on way more often than Jackson.

Certainly I don't agree with signing Smith for 3 years and giving up a pick. I'd rather have let Melancon continue to close, bring back Martin, and sign another solid piece like Clippard or Diekman.
    Jackson's xwOBA was included to illustrate these BP arms were all below elite level guys. The market at the time dictated those guys were worth 3 years, and almost none of them are turning out to be good contracts. The market today dictated Smith was worth 3 years, just like those guys. Folks can attempt to talk themselves into this being a good contract, but history suggests 3 year deals for BP arms in their 30s almost never work out unless they are truly elite...and usually not even then.

Teams with $180M+ payroll can afford to give out these types of contracts to stabilize the BP in the short term at the expense of losing payroll flexibility in the long term. Teams like the Braves with $130M payrolls probably shouldn't, especially when they have a ton of arms capable of becoming the next Will Smith for league minimum.

That list is populated by filthy rich teams, and not-rich teams too stupid to know any better. Which group do the Braves fall into? AA just spent 2 years not being stupid, and this move is completely out of character based on what we've seen.

And we aren't even discussing the fact the Braves gave up what is now reportedly their 2nd highest pick to make this deal happen, and will only be getting a pick in the 70s back when/if they lose JD.

All around a terrible signing (I'm being overly dramatic, I know)...unless payroll suddenly jumps to levels we never imagined and they can easily cover a BP splurge like this.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-15-2019 at 01:54 PM.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    i like it

obviously risk but so be it

i don't give a **** what stat Jackson has to show him being good. i don't trust him (seriously the only player that i can't overlook what i saw from him vs stats lol )

i really don't care about the pick or what it could turn into 5 or 6 years from now. i want to ****ing win, tried of just being ok/good
    That philosophy is short sighted. One you should always care about draft picks and who they turn out to be. Two. No one cares about losing the pick per se. it is about choosing to lose the pick on a reliever that was going to accept the QO. If AA signs another QO bat then this signing is a good deal imo.
    Coppy

21. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-15-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    So, let's pretend for a moment the Braves payroll is getting a 30 million opening day bump up to 150 million and that's why we splurged on Wilson. Would the elite FA's now become a possibility for us? I assume still no, but Rendon is pretty much the perfect fit for our needs and makes a division rival weaker in the process. Would still leave us with roughly 20 million to find a catcher, a SP, and possibly another OFer.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Flags fly forever! Who cares about future seasons? Win now!!

Dombrowski just lost his job 1 year after winning the World Series because the Red Sox got tired of looking at that flag in less than 1 year...and all he did was exactly what everyone wanted him to do...

Maddon lost his job after the Cubs failed to win another WS, just a few short years after being the genius that guided them to their first title in forever. I guess the Cubs got tired of staring at a flag too.

But yeah...flags fly forever...too bad the jobs of the guys who won those flags don't last even a few years.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Jackson's xwOBA was included to illustrate these BP arms were all below elite level guys. The market at the time dictated those guys were worth 3 years, and almost none of them are turning out to be good contracts. The market today dictated Smith was worth 3 years, just like those guys. Folks can attempt to talk themselves into this being a good contract, but history suggests 3 year deals for BP arms in their 30s almost never work out unless they are truly elite...and usually not even then.

Teams with $180M+ payroll can afford to give out these types of contracts to stabilize the BP in the short term at the expense of losing payroll flexibility in the long term. Teams like the Braves with $130M payrolls probably shouldn't, especially when they have a ton of arms capable of becoming the next Will Smith for league minimum.

That list is populated by filthy rich teams, and not-rich teams too stupid to know any better. Which group do the Braves fall into? AA just spent 2 years not being stupid, and this move is completely out of character based on what we've seen.

And we aren't even discussing the fact the Braves gave up what is now reportedly their 2nd highest pick to make this deal happen, and will only be getting a pick in the 70s back when/if they lose JD.

All around a terrible signing...unless payroll suddenly jumps to levels we never imagined and they can easily cover a BP splurge like this.
    One advantage AA has over these super rich teams are the 10 years of elite production from 2 roster spots for pennies on the dollar. That coupled with a payroll bump to 150ish will let us compete with the big dogs a little bit. Our payroll obligations for 2021 is less than 50 million
    Coppy