Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The president is pardoning war criminals now...

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

The president is pardoning war criminals now...

"For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    The "law and order" candidate.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

My bet is Trump pardons the lot of them going out the door
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    the damage to our institutions and civic fabric is incalculable
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    the damage to our institutions and civic fabric is incalculable
    economic anxiety

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Would like to see someone with four stars stand up and write a letter of resignation over this.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Trump is boxed in and able to exercise very little power but still he tries. He doesn't give one hoot about these soldiers but knows pardoning them will ruffle feathers at the Pentagon and the "Deep State". The government itself has turned on Trump and this petty act shows Trump knows it. These pardons also remind other criminals, already and yet to be convicted, that he still has this ability.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Trump is also doing it to attract that segment of the population that's so extremely pro-military that they view this as him supporting the troops in a broadsense.

Trump's team knows his base. And he's gonna need a solid turnout from his 1/3 of the country to show up next year if he has any chance of re-election.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Absolutely pathetic

Trump Reverses Navy Decision to Oust Edward Gallagher From SEALs

The president said Chief Gallagher, who has been at center of a high-profile war crime case, would not lose his membership in the elite commando force.

President Trump on Thursday reversed a decision by the Navy seeking to oust Navy SEAL Chief Petty Officer Edward Gallagher from the elite commando force.

Chief Gallagher has been at the center of a high-profile war crime case and was granted clemency by the president on Friday. He was notified on Wednesday that the Navy planned to start the process to remove the Trident pin that symbolizes membership in the SEALs.

Less than 24 hours later, Mr. Trump announced on Twitter it would not happen, saying “The Navy will NOT be taking away Warfighter and Navy Seal Eddie Gallagher’s Trident Pin. This case was handled very badly from the beginning. Get back to business!”

The whipsaw reversal, after the Navy believed it had official approval, is just the latest twist in the unusually public melee over Chief Gallagher’s court-martial, which at times has pitted the commander-in-chief directly against senior Navy leaders.

On Tuesday, multiple Navy and Defense Department officials said the Navy had cleared the decision to review Chief Gallagher’s Trident with the White House, though they acknowledged the risk of seeking to punish a SEAL who counts Mr. Trump among his vocal supporters, and said they knew the president could easily reverse the decision.

Even so, the Navy’s decision to start the process to oust Chief Gallagher was not made in haste, according to the officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss private deliberations. The commander of Naval Special Warfare, Rear Adm. Collin Green, discussed the matter with Navy Secretary Richard V. Spencer and the chief of naval operations, Adm. Michael Gilday, and the Navy briefed Defense Secretary Mark Esper.

In the hours before the letters were issued, two Navy officials said, the Navy reached out to the White House for clearance multiple times.

But mixed signals and reversed decisions are not uncommon in the White House, where rival aides with opposing views, and sometimes outside influences, jockey for the president’s attention.

The president announced the reversal on Twitter shortly after Chief Gallagher’s lawyer, Timothy Parlatore, appeared on Fox News, framing the Navy decision as an act of defiance toward the president’s decision to restore Chief Gallagher’s rank.

“Monday morning the admiral comes in and says I disagree with the president, I’m going to take his Trident,” Mr. Parlatore said. “What he’s doing here is really just an effort to publicly humiliate Chief Gallagher and stick it right in the president’s eye.”

Chief Gallagher was turned in by some of the members of his platoon after a deployment to Iraq in 2017, and was accused of shooting civilians and killing a wounded teenage captive with a hunting knife. He was acquitted of all but one relatively minor charge of posing for a trophy photo with the corpse of a dead captive.

But mixed signals and reversed decisions are not uncommon in the White House, where rival aides with opposing views, and sometimes outside influences, jockey for the president’s attention.

The president announced the reversal on Twitter shortly after Chief Gallagher’s lawyer, Timothy Parlatore, appeared on Fox News, framing the Navy decision as an act of defiance toward the president’s decision to restore Chief Gallagher’s rank.

“Monday morning the admiral comes in and says I disagree with the president, I’m going to take his Trident,” Mr. Parlatore said. “What he’s doing here is really just an effort to publicly humiliate Chief Gallagher and stick it right in the president’s eye.”

Chief Gallagher was turned in by some of the members of his platoon after a deployment to Iraq in 2017, and was accused of shooting civilians and killing a wounded teenage captive with a hunting knife. He was acquitted of all but one relatively minor charge of posing for a trophy photo with the corpse of a dead captive.

The chief’s case was championed by Fox News and other conservative media outlets who implored Mr. Trump to pardon the chief. The president intervened several times in the case, and announced congratulations on Twitter after the verdict, saying “Glad I could help.”

A military jury reduced the chief one rank to petty officer first class, but on Friday Mr. Trump reversed the demotion, restoring the seal to chief. He also pardoned two soldiers charged with or convicted of murder.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/21/u...core-ios-share

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Maggie Haberman
    @maggieNYT
    ·
    2h

“The secretary of the Navy and the admiral who leads the SEALs have threatened

to resign or be fired if plans to expel a commando from the elite unit in a war

crimes case are halted by President Trump, administration officials said Saturday.”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    If I understand this correctly.
    a) Trump pardons navy guy xyz and restores rank and status
    b) Sec of Navy and Seal grand poo-bah balks - threatens resignation
    c) Trump gives in to Navy leaders and the pardoned Navy guy that shot girl in the belly cause " he was feelin that way" is out of the SEALS and whatever
    his court martialed verdict

Trump made an inner office conflict into a public squabble , pounded his chest until threatened then backed down.
    Am I reading this right ?
    Let's hope so---
    I am far from a gung ho military type but, this is a bad look if true. In that the leader of the military was singing "should I say or should I go" to the top Navy brass
    who weren't into REM
    You know the people With all the war boats and nuclear submarines

Tell me I am wrong

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    If I understand this correctly.
    a) Trump pardons navy guy xyz and restores rank and status
    b) Sec of Navy and Seal grand poo-bah balks - threatens resignation
    c) Trump gives in to Navy leaders and the pardoned Navy guy that shot girl in the belly cause " he was feelin that way" is out of the SEALS and whatever
    his court martialed verdict

Trump made an inner office conflict into a public squabble , pounded his chest until threatened then backed down.
    Am I reading this right ?
    Let's hope so---
    I am far from a gung ho military type but, this is a bad look if true. In that the leader of the military was singing "should I say or should I go" to the top Navy brass
    who weren't into REM
    You know the people With all the war boats and nuclear submarines

Tell me I am wrong
    To hell with all this, you just confused The Clash with R-****ing-EM. Come on!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    No. The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll with REM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Navy Secretary Richard Spencer fired in dispute over discipline of SEAL

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...otvlipK4-xTPxs

This regime is unamerican

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts