Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DUI Checkpoint Video

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ESP47 View Post
    The topic is about how people can't use their rights anymore because laws have allowed the cops to completely get around them. You're arguing that it's easier to just comply with the cops whether they are in their rights or not. Which is absolutely true but it defeats the purpose of this subject and that kind of thinking only further allows our rights to be taken away.

I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill. DUI checkpoints are completely legal. Acting like a jackass because you have the legal right to act like a jackass only makes you look suspicious and gives the cop all they need to detain you.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Identification is required by law in order to be driving a motor vehicle. So while technically you are not legally required to present an id, failure to to do so is obviously enough for them to detain you.

And police can pull you over for any reason they deem as "suspicious behavior." And there nothing in the law that really classifies what suspicious behavior is. They can say they smell booze on you whether you've been drinking or not. Now in a court of law the cops argument may not hold up, but that doesn't mean what he did was illegal.
    Why is it obviously enough to detain you?

What you're pointing out is the stupidity of the laws set forth by Supreme Court rulings. If a cop walks up to you on the street he can't ask for you ID. Same law applies for driving.

A cop who abuses that power should be punished. Someone at a DUI checkpoint who doesn't provide ID or registration (honestly can we all agree that stupid piece of paper should be abolished, what a waste of money) shouldn't be considered suspicious. Though again as I stated earlier the letter of the law indicates it's up to the cops discretion and there's no recourse for him so why wouldn't he just be a dick?
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill. DUI checkpoints are completely legal. Acting like a jackass because you have the legal right to act like a jackass only makes you look suspicious and gives the cop all they need to detain you.
    So exercising your rights makes you a jackass? Lovely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Come on Zito.. the kid was a jackass. Not lowering your window? That's pretty obnoxious.
    thank you weso1!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Why is it obviously enough to detain you?

What you're pointing out is the stupidity of the laws set forth by Supreme Court rulings. If a cop walks up to you on the street he can't ask for you ID. Same law applies for driving.

A cop who abuses that power should be punished. Someone at a DUI checkpoint who doesn't provide ID or registration (honestly can we all agree that stupid piece of paper should be abolished, what a waste of money) shouldn't be considered suspicious. Though again as I stated earlier the letter of the law indicates it's up to the cops discretion and there's no recourse for him so why wouldn't he just be a dick?
    A police officer has every legal right to ask for your license, whether on the street on in your car. Legally you are not required to show it to him, but if you are driving, a license is REQUIRED. And if you do not comply u, that makes you look suspicious. And all a cop needs to detain you is suspicion.

And if you are a cop, why shouldn't someone who refuses to comply with a simple request be considered suspicious.
    Last edited by Carp; 07-24-2013 at 09:46 PM.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Come on Zito.. the kid was a jackass. Not lowering your window? That's pretty obnoxious.
    ask a lawyer

they would tell you to only roll down the window far enough to get your id out of the car

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    ask a lawyer

they would tell you to only roll down the window far enough to get your id out of the car
    Most lawyers are jackasses. I'm not saying the kid was wrong, but he was obviously looking for trouble. Now, he had a decent reason to go looking for trouble. I thought his video pointed out some important things (The search dog at the window), but he was being a jackass.
    thank you weso1!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts

Deliberately being uncooperative at simple requests is indeed being a jackass. There is no law that requires you to roll your window down all the way. But only effing asshole would roll their window down 2 inches when someone asks you too.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    ask a lawyer

I would expect a lawyer to say that. It reduces visibility from the cop into yout car. But the lawyers purpose of telling you to do that is to protect yourself from going to jail. This kid's purpose was to be a dick and get a lot of hits on youtube.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    A police officer has every legal right to ask for your license, whether on the street on in your car. Legally you are not required to show it to him, but if you are driving, a license is REQUIRED. And if you do not comply u, that makes you look suspicious. And all a cop needs to detain you is suspicion.

And if you are a cop, why shouldn't someone who refuses to comply with a simple request be considered suspicious.
    No they don't have the legal right to ask for your license.

I was bored and wanted to search for the site I used for my friend a while ago when he was getting harrassed by a cop but found this well put post from yahoo answers.

"The police need probable cause or a reasonable suspicion to stop and ID you.

There is no law requiring you to carry any ID, other than driving.

It is illegal to lie about your ID to police.

In short, if they have to ASK, they have no authority."

Now I know you'll say that you have to have a license to drive but then there's this from a former defense attorney

"Police do not have the right, per se, to check driver's licenses or registrations when the stop is not initiated by a violation. However, where the police have a reasonable suspicion of illegal conduct, even though there is not actual violation of the law they may examine drivers' licenses or registration."

So basically cops can make **** up. They don't have the right ot just check id. Nor do they have the right ot just check if you're insured. Anyone telling you that is a liar. Cops though can easily abuse their powers and make a situation where they can legally do it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Deliberately being uncooperative at simple requests is indeed being a jackass. There is no law that requires you to roll your window down all the way. But only effing asshole would roll their window down 2 inches when someone asks you too.
    Oh so following the laws makes you a jackass. I got it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    No they don't have the legal right to ask for your license.

I was bored and wanted to search for the site I used for my friend a while ago when he was getting harrassed by a cop but found this well put post from yahoo answers.

"The police need probable cause or a reasonable suspicion to stop and ID you.

There is no law requiring you to carry any ID, other than driving.

It is illegal to lie about your ID to police.

In short, if they have to ASK, they have no authority."

Now I know you'll say that you have to have a license to drive but then there's this from a former defense attorney

"Police do not have the right, per se, to check driver's licenses or registrations when the stop is not initiated by a violation. However, where the police have a reasonable suspicion of illegal conduct, even though there is not actual violation of the law they may examine drivers' licenses or registration."

So basically cops can make **** up. They don't have the right ot just check id. Nor do they have the right ot just check if you're insured. Anyone telling you that is a liar. Cops though can easily abuse their powers and make a situation where they can legally do it.

That is not true at all. There is no law at all that says police do not have the right to ask for ID. ANYONE can ask for your I.D. There is nothing illegal whatsover about an officer asking for your ID. However, there no one legally required to present an ID either unless you are being detained.

However, if you are driving and they do ask your your ID and you refuse, you are going to come off as suspicious, and at that point they can and most likely will detain you. of you don't like it, take it up with your Congressman.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Oh so following the laws makes you a jackass. I got it.

No, but deliberately being a tool to get a bunch of likes on youtube is what makes you a jackass. He was purposely trying to be uncooperative so he could get get a rise out of the cops to see how they would react so that he could run and upload his video to youtube and say "ZOMG!!! THE POLICE IZZ ABUUZZZING MY RIGHTZZZ!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    No, but deliberately being a tool to get a bunch of likes on youtube is what makes you a jackass. He was purposely trying to be uncooperative so he could get get a rise out of the cops to see how they would react so that he could run and upload his video to youtube and say "ZOMG!!! THE POLICE IZZ ABUUZZZING MY RIGHTZZZ!!!
    Oh so it's his fault not the cop for abusing his power? Lulz at Carpe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    That is not true at all. There is no law at all that says police do not have the right to ask for ID. ANYONE can ask for your I.D. There is nothing illegal whatsover about an officer asking for your ID. However, there no one legally required to present an ID either unless you are being detained.

However, if you are driving and they do ask your your ID and you refuse, you are going to come off as suspicious, and at that point they can and most likely will detain you. of you don't like it, take it up with your Congressman.
    Eh, I'm not gonna touch this any further. You're clearly not changing what you're saying so eff it, I'm just gonna let you enjoy the slow erosion of our rights.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Oh so it's his fault not the cop for abusing his power? Lulz at Carpe.

Still trying to see horrible the abuse of power in the video. Watched it at least 20 times. I'll admit, the dog part was a bit much, but the guy had it coming. Sorry if I don't feel pity for the stupid.
    Last edited by Carp; 07-25-2013 at 12:32 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Eh, I'm not gonna touch this any further. You're clearly not changing what you're saying so eff it, I'm just gonna let you enjoy the slow erosion of our rights.

LMAO!

You do realize all DUI checkpoints are advertised in the paper and on the news like at least week before don't you? And they news tells you specifically they will be checking ID's as well as checking to see if you have been drinking Yet this moron makes a clear decision to go there and stir the pot.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    That's the thing....right now we have a molehill but if we keep letting them twist the constitution, we're going to have a mountain on our hands before we know it.

If you are driving along legally and minding your own business, there should be no reason why you should have to stop at a DUI checkpoint. The 4th amendment guards you against unreasonable searches and seizures unless there is probable cause. There is no way to tell a cop no at a DUI checkpoint without looking like you're being a jackass. Like Zito said, the cop can just make up whatever he wants. So you denying to give him your ID means you're suspicious, now he has probable cause and can do damn near whatever he pleases. It's an ass backwards rule that basically leaves you without any rights. You have absolutely zero power to protect yourself from a bad cop. You're at the mercy of however big of an A-hole the officer is that you're dealing with.

I don't agree with drunk driving at all but I don't agree with being able to pull everyone over at a DUI checkpoint either. An officer shouldn't be able to just walk up to you on the street an ask you for your ID for no reason. You either give him your ID because you don't want trouble or you tell him no and then he makes up his own probable cause to get it. I mean whats next after this? Are they going to start having sidewalk intoxication checkpoints outside of bars? Are they going to start going door to door and asking people to take a drug test to make sure they aren't on drugs? Because if you tell them you don't want to take a drug test, they will think you're trying to avoid getting caught and now they have probable cause to test you.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ESP47 View Post
    That's the thing....right now we have a molehill but if we keep letting them twist the constitution, we're going to have a mountain on our hands before we know it.

If you are driving along legally and minding your own business, there should be no reason why you should have to stop at a DUI checkpoint. The 4th amendment guards you against unreasonable searches and seizures unless there is probable cause. There is no way to tell a cop no at a DUI checkpoint without looking like you're being a jackass. Like Zito said, the cop can just make up whatever he wants. So you denying to give him your ID means you're suspicious, now he has probable cause and can do damn near whatever he pleases. It's an ass backwards rule that basically leaves you without any rights. You have absolutely zero power to protect yourself from a bad cop. You're at the mercy of however big of an A-hole the officer is that you're dealing with.

I don't agree with drunk driving at all but I don't agree with being able to pull everyone over at a DUI checkpoint either. An officer shouldn't be able to just walk up to you on the street an ask you for your ID for no reason. You either give him your ID because you don't want trouble or you tell him no and then he makes up his own probable cause to get it. I mean whats next after this? Are they going to start having sidewalk intoxication checkpoints outside of bars? Are they going to start going door to door and asking people to take a drug test to make sure they aren't on drugs? Because if you tell them you don't want to take a drug test, they will think you're trying to avoid getting caught and now they have probable cause to test you.

Whether you agree with it or not is irrelevant. DUI checkpoints are in fact legal and that has been upheld by the supreme court.
    Last edited by Carp; 07-25-2013 at 01:34 AM.

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    The same rules do not apply to driving and walking because driving and walking are not the same thing.