#MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts

DUI Checkpoint Video

Very very very sad.

All these people posting comments sympathizing with the cops saying "just do what you're told".

I hope that idiot gets fired for what he did.

I had a similar situation happen to me a year ago. Not a checkpoint, but I was followed by a cop coming home from the gym at like 1 AM, and he pursued me for 3 minutes before he turned on his lights to pull me over. He and his buddy pulled me over, I immediately turned off the car and they had their spotlight on me and their guns pulled out and standing from an aggressive position behind their doors. I got out the car without any hesitation, they called 6 more guys to the scene, cuffed me and detained me in the backseat without telling me why. They searched my car and found nothing. The idiot cop that followed me, ID'd the WRONG PLATE NUMBER. I drive a silver Pontiac Grand Am, and the car reported stolen in Lansing Michigan was a Green Plymouth Truck 1993. Not only that, but after they checked the registration and saw it was under my dad's name, they had the balls to ask me 1) Does my dad know I'm driving the car, and 2) Am I related to my dad (we have a unique last name, so it was extremely stupid)? After telling them I'd only been driving the car for 4 years, they still had the balls to lie and say my dad reported the car stolen earlier that night, when I had just seen my dad hours before that when I left the house (he knows I go to the gym late every night).

I posted that story last year in the pulpit, and gilesfan said I was a pussy making a big deal out of it because the same thing happened to his wife. Well it's different being a minority and not a white female. It also traumatized me for a few days, had hard time going to sleep and cringed whenever I drove by a cop car.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    He won't get fired. The last thing a cop or a judge will ever do is admit when they're wrong. Kind of like how they realized they completely had the wrong guy when they pulled you over yet they tried justifying it by saying that your dad reported it stolen. They'll try every trick in the book to try and arrest you at that point so they don't have to admit they screwed up. There was a story on Yahoo a couple weeks ago about a girl that walked out of a convenience store with a box of sparkling water and in no time she had 6 or 7 armed cops with guns drawn on her because they thought she had beer. Why the hell do you need 7 armed officers to arrest a sorority girl even if she was underage and buying beer?

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ESP47 View Post
    He won't get fired. The last thing a cop or a judge will ever do is admit when they're wrong. Kind of like how they realized they completely had the wrong guy when they pulled you over yet they tried justifying it by saying that your dad reported it stolen. They'll try every trick in the book to try and arrest you at that point so they don't have to admit they screwed up. There was a story on Yahoo a couple weeks ago about a girl that walked out of a convenience store with a box of sparkling water and in no time she had 6 or 7 armed cops with guns drawn on her because they thought she had beer. Why the hell do you need 7 armed officers to arrest a sorority girl even if she was underage and buying beer?
    I know. The seargant said I needed to go to the dmv and fix it. I drive in Atlanta all the time and they have cameras that id people. That would've triggered something but didn't. They kept digging deeper holes

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I would have tried to find a Johnny Cochrane type of attorney to sue those cops. Listen they typed the plates in wrong, that's human error, but to lie and say your dad reported it wrong is just wrong.

I watched the video, while the kid was being a bit of a douche, the cops behavior especially with the drug dog is horrible.

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    I think this video does an excellent job at highlighting the way cops fudge the system to do whatever they want. That dog shot was perfect (though fairly circumstantial).

BUT this kid is a douchebag and deliberately instigated the situation. He refused to comply with basic and non intrusive requests ("roll down your window"; "how old are you"). Acting like a paranoid weirdo is a great way to single yourself out for escalated investigation.

Additionally, the overlays are pretty misleading.

- While you are not "legally required" to answer any questions or whatever, that doesn't mean than the cops will just let you drive away if you do that, since doing so is incredibly suspicious.

- The cop didn't want to play his game by saying "yes you are detained," but the supreme court has ruled that DUI checks are perfectly legitimate, and if you flat out refuse to cooperate with them the cops can and will detain you. Again, because refusing to cooperate with basic, non-incriminating requests is incredibly suspicious.

- Further, asking a car to pull over to the side of the road is standard procedure when an officer wants to continue asking questions at a checkpoint; this is so that they don't impede the flow of traffic. Responding to this request by saying "AM I BEING DETAINED" is only going to further aggravate the officers.

- The kid complains that the officer "illegally" asked for his ID, but never did any sobriety checks. Asking a suspect multiple questions in quick succession, such as to produce their ID is textbook field sobriety stuff. How you respond to those requests gives the officer insight into your state of mind.

- The dog trick was over the line, but that kid was asking for it. They played right into his hands.

There is a lot of real police misconduct out there, so I find it really annoying when kids like this go around deliberately creating problems and then acting like their rights are being trampled.
    Last edited by Metaphysicist; 07-09-2013 at 09:46 AM.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Metaphysicist For This Useful Post:

Bdawg2309 (07-10-2013), Carp (07-10-2013), jpx7 (07-09-2013), weso1 (07-09-2013)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    My wife was detained and had several police cars throw her to the ground, Sav.

I agree with what Meta said. Obv there are bad cops and they should be punished. But, these youtube videos of people goading cops really irritates me. I've been through DUI checkpoints similar to this where it was just a stop and go. And that may have been the case here if the dude in the car wasn't so confrontational.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Stupid video. And the kid obviously does not know his constitutional rights very well, since a lot of what he said was in fact wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Stupid video. And the kid obviously does not know his constitutional rights very well, since a lot of what he said was in fact wrong.
    What exactly did he say that was wrong? Police don't have a right to check your license and registration if you're not being pulled over for a violation, you can refuse to talk to the police if you choose. You can tell the officer that you refuse to answer questions without legal council, and many more things. Unfortunately the vagueness of the SC ruling on DUI checkpoints makes it unfairly beneficial towards cops, if you follow your constitutional rights, officers can pull you over and then take them away.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    What does antagonizing the cop the way this kid did accomplish?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (07-10-2013)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    What does antagonizing the cop the way this kid did accomplish?
    Yeah seriously. The cops are doing their job and this little prick just can't do what he is asked to do. If he has nothing to hide he should have no problem giving consent or anyone else in this case. Just cooperate with them because they are their to do a job. After living in different countries and seeing these type of videos, it's clear why a lot of people really hate America.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Yeah seriously. The cops are doing their job and this little prick just can't do what he is asked to do. If he has nothing to hide he should have no problem giving consent or anyone else in this case. Just cooperate with them because they are their to do a job. After living in different countries and seeing these type of videos, it's clear why a lot of people really hate America.

Lulz the old if you have nothing to hide line

Playing the Waiting Game Bdawg2309's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    the guy was a tool.
    roll your damn windows down and the whole situation is avoided.
    instead he goes on acting like a cunt

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg2309 View Post
    the guy was a tool.
    No it wouldn't have been, that may have started the **** storm but the cop would have pulled him over for refusing to give license and registration since they're used to that happening.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg2309 View Post
    the guy was a tool.
    That's part of the problem though. They are slowly taking your rights away to the point where it becomes norm to just let them do what they need to do to avoid any kind of confrontation. That's where the rights we do have are pretty much worthless because the second you try to use your rights, they use theirs to **** your stuff up, cuff you and do all they can to make your life hell. There is no law that states how far your window has to be rolled down. The fact that the window wasn't rolled down to the cops liking just goes to show how big of a douche he was as well. The second a cop feels like you're challenging him, he's going to do everything in his power to screw you as much as possible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,737 Posts
    While I do think the kid should have rolled his window down there are several important things this video documents. One, exercising your rights is deemed to be suspicious behavior by cops. Two, it shows if cops want to search your car then they will make it up. The cop in the video even states that the alert from the dog was very weak. Personally I think if they search the car without consent and find nothing that the citizen should have any violation voided and/or the cop should be fined. I think that would stop the false alerts and liberal use of probable cause. I had a cop claim probable cause to search my vehicle once because it was dirty on the inside. I told him I would give consent to search if when he found nothing he wouldnt write me a ticket. He said no. I then told him I would consent to a search if when he found nothing he would apologize to me. He said no to that too. When he let me go he pulled over another car immediately. This was 2 am as I was coming home from work and there was no other car on the road but the one passing by as he let me go.

Scripps National Spelling Bee Finalist elmonthc's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I go through one almost every weekend. I think they are a great idea and if they save one innocent person from getting killed they are worth it. I dont think the punishments for dui are tougj enough.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elmonthc View Post
    I go through one almost every weekend. I think they are a great idea and if they save one innocent person from getting killed they are worth it. I dont think the punishments for dui are tougj enough.
    You can't just give up rights like that. It's like saying you don't mind if the police tap everyone's phones in your city because if they save one life by stopping a plot for murder over the phone, then it's worth it.

Scripps National Spelling Bee Finalist elmonthc's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    You can't just give up rights like that. It's like saying you don't mind if the police tap everyone's phones in your city because if they save one life by stopping a plot for murder over the phone, then it's worth it.
    Soery but I dont see how the two are similar. People thinking that a dui checkpoint infringes on theirrights is funny to me. I think seat belt laws are worse and nobody is complaining about that.

I dont know what you guys deal with but I stop at the checkpoint, cop sees im not impaired and lets me go. Its light being stopped at a red light. Thete is a difference betwen not liking a checkpiint and not liking an asshole cop.

Some people have been reading too many of sturgs posts.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elmonthc View Post
    Soery but I dont see how the two are similar. People thinking that a dui checkpoint infringes on theirrights is funny to me. I think seat belt laws are worse and nobody is complaining about that.

I dont know what you guys deal with but I stop at the checkpoint, cop sees im not impaired and lets me go. Its light being stopped at a red light. Thete is a difference betwen not liking a checkpiint and not liking an asshole cop.

Some people have been reading too many of sturgs posts.
    I just don't think that you should have to pull over and be questioned unless there is already some sort of suspicion that you're impaired. It's none of the cops business what your name is, where you're going or what you drank that night unless you've been driving erratically. Plus like you saw, if you try and exercise your rights, they take it as a sign of guilt and do everything in their power to mess with you.

I agree about the seat belt laws. I just debated that with zito on the last invision board. I said being forced to wear a seatbelt while guys can be out there riding motorcycles is BS. Zito initially argued with me but then he ended up realizing he was wrong and apologized and proclaimed me the victor.

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    I just don't think that you should have to pull over and be questioned unless there is already some sort of suspicion that you're impaired. It's none of the cops business what your name is, where you're going or what you drank that night unless you've been driving erratically.
    And sturg doesn't think you should have to pay taxes, but what you think is right and what the constitution allows are not the same thing.