Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves sign Cole Hamels 1 year 18 million

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Payroll could be 150 or more after seeing this. Glad to see them investing into the team while we are in our contention window. I think Donaldson gets brought back soon or a trade for a controllable cheap cleanup hitter.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (12-04-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Payroll could be 150 or more after seeing this. Glad to see them investing into the team while we are in our contention window. I think Donaldson gets brought back soon or a trade for a controllable cheap cleanup hitter.
    i'm glad to see them investing in the team but still on relatively short-term, good value, low-risk deals.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Please please please let one of the Braves competitors pay $100M for Bumgarner.
    MadBum to the Phillies for 100+ million would literally be the greatest Christmas present in the world.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

Carp (12-04-2019), FreemanFan (12-05-2019), jpx7 (12-04-2019), UNCBlue012 (12-04-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i'm glad to see them investing in the team but still on relatively short-term, good value, low-risk deals.
    Yep and if Cole has a good year then make him a QO and if he accepts cool if not then we get a pick. Good job by AA.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    It’s Meh for me IF this is our only move for a starter. Hamels should eat innings and be fine, but he isn’t that difference maker and 18 mil seems like a lot for Cole even on a one year.

It should be expected with Fried and Soroka’s injury history, that one could miss some time next year.

So we would be counting on Fried and Soroka to stay healthy, Hamels to not get hurt or run out of gas and Folty to mentally keep it together ...and Newk or a young guy to take a step.

All of that is totally possible I guess, but I still think AA will trade for another starter....or this group is at best the same as last years bunch.

If they are truely going all in....this won’t be the only move. AA almost has to make a trade with the log jam of pitchers we have.
    This is silly. Every team holds their starters stay healthy. The Braves are perhaps the best positioned team to handle rotation bumps. We also have the ability to give guys extra rest.
    Coppy

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-04-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    This is silly. Every team holds their starters stay healthy. The Braves are perhaps the best positioned team to handle rotation bumps. We also have the ability to give guys extra rest.
    Starting 5 at Gwinnett are all major league guys and some of which could be 2-3 WAR guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Out of curiosity, who do you consider to be a cheap cleanup hitter that is available via trade?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-04-2019)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4maddux_cy's View Post
    And a 64 Impala?
    Thank you so much....that was the first thing I thought of when I read that.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Interesting how AA handles the rotation this year.No more 10 day DL for pitchers anymore only position players. Wont be able to shuttle as much.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    It’s Meh for me IF this is our only move for a starter. Hamels should eat innings and be fine, but he isn’t that difference maker and 18 mil seems like a lot for Cole even on a one year.

It should be expected with Fried and Soroka’s injury history, that one could miss some time next year.

So we would be counting on Fried and Soroka to stay healthy, Hamels to not get hurt or run out of gas and Folty to mentally keep it together ...and Newk or a young guy to take a step.

All of that is totally possible I guess, but I still think AA will trade for another starter....or this group is at best the same as last years bunch.

If they are truely going all in....this won’t be the only move. AA almost has to make a trade with the log jam of pitchers we have.
    I mean Hamels had about the 4th or 5th best season this year among current FA starters. And he was better than MadBum on a per start basis. He's certainly an upgrade over DK, so our rotation is already primed to be better than last year.

I'd call a pitcher than provides 2.5 WAR in 141 innings a definite difference maker. If he can stay relatively healthy and provide around 180 innings or more, I'd pencil him in for another 2.5+ WAR season. For what it's worth, Steamer's has him projected for 160 innings and 2.1 WAR. Is that worth 18 million? May be not, but any other FA starter that's likely to provide that sort of production will cost a lot more in years and total dollars, so we're paying a bit of a premium to keep the risk down.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (12-04-2019), jpx7 (12-04-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    Interesting how AA handles the rotation this year.No more 10 day DL for pitchers anymore only position players. Wont be able to shuttle as much.
    Guys in AAA are good enough for 2-3 (if no off days) set. I think we are as well positioned as anyone to send pitchers on 2 week vacations.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I just don’t think this is his only move. If it ends up being it....I’m not saying we are in bad shape. Come playoff time though, you will be once again in a strange position unless these guys take steps...which they should.

I can’t really trust Fried or Folty yet. They showed flashes of being TOR starters and and then at other times were really not so hot. Newk is in the same boat.

Come playoff time you would start Soroka and then probably Cole? That’s solid, but I’m not sure that really scares anyone either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I mean Hamels had about the 4th or 5th best season this year among current FA starters. And he was better than MadBum on a per start basis. He's certainly an upgrade over DK, so our rotation is already primed to be better than last year.

I'd call a pitcher than provides 2.5 WAR in 141 innings a definite difference maker. If he can stay relatively healthy and provide around 180 innings or more, I'd pencil him in for another 2.5+ WAR season. For what it's worth, Steamer's has him projected for 160 innings and 2.1 WAR. Is that worth 18 million? May be not, but any other FA starter that's likely to provide that sort of production will cost a lot more in years and total dollars, so we're paying a bit of a premium to keep the risk down.
    Great post.

Concentration of WAR to me is more important especially because our 'replacement' options are above replacement.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    With the pitching depth, I think the Braves are still well-positioned to use the shuttle, despite the rule-change.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Using openers and stacking guys is the probably the best way to work this.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-04-2019)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Using openers and stacking guys is the probably the best way to work this.
    Hahaha. With twit running the show. No way. Please don’t make this anymore complicated for him than possible.
    Coppy

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I like the player.
    I like one year deals for free agents.
    I like the option to qo next year. I’m ok paying sub 20 for a three war lh.

Probably a positive for fried and newk development.

Multi year for bumgardner is scary to me.

Being this all in makes me think we need a Donaldson plus an impact bat trade to truely be a legit contender.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Hahaha. With twit running the show. No way. Please don’t make this anymore complicated for him than possible.
    Let's hope Twit doesn't get an extension. The real window is beginning this year and having Snit after this year unless we miraculously win the WS would be a failure. Even if we make it past the DS snit should not be rewarded for that.
    Forever Fredi

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts

I didn’t realize he did that well...makes me fill better. I do remember he got hurt at some point and was way less effective later in the year after the injury.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

Carp (12-04-2019), jpx7 (12-04-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    I just don’t think this is his only move. If it ends up being it....I’m not saying we are in bad shape. Come playoff time though, you will be once again in a strange position unless these guys take steps...which they should.

I can’t really trust Fried or Folty yet. They showed flashes of being TOR starters and and then at other times were really not so hot. Newk is in the same boat.

Come playoff time you would start Soroka and then probably Cole? That’s solid, but I’m not sure that really scares anyone either.
    Fried was great down the stretch and was magnificent in the playoffs sans Game 5. If Martin doesn't go down with injury, he likely makes a start in Game 4 or Game 5.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-04-2019)