Thread: Donaldson and Pandora’s Box

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Who? Noll? Kieboom?

Noll is pretty uninspiring and if Kieboom plays 3rd then it leaves pretty uninspiring options at either 2nd or 1st, depending on where they play Kendrick. I'm no huge fan of Riley or Camargo starting at 3rd base, but I'd take them over Noll or whoever else the Nats have for 3rd base.
    Kaboom is a better prospect over Riley. Sure this year could be patch work but going forward kaboom is a legit player. If he pans out it could be that he is better than Josh in year 3 and 4 of the deal. I am simply saying that keeping J from the gnats is not a viable reason to sign him with an overpay
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Boom is a potential impact bat who is already projected to produce 2-3 wins in his rookie season at 3b. The Nats also have Kendrick on board to play 3b/2b, and he is pretty much a lock for 2-3 wins.

They can patch together some sort of cheap 2 win platoon at 1b if they miss out on JD. They can also acquire a bat at 3b, 2b or 1b due to the versatility of guys like Boom and Kendrick. They did a good job replacing Harper with Soto, and will probably do a good job again replacing Rendon with Boom.

The Braves pretty much need JD, Bryant, or a massive downgrade at 3b from 2019. They have painted themselves into a spot where the only place to add an impact bat easily is at 3b. The Braves backup plans to pair with Camargo vanished when Mous and Shaw were signed.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-27-2019 at 04:28 PM.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Boom is a potential impact bat who is already projected to produce 2-3 wins in his rookie season at 3b. The Nats also have Kendrick on board to play 3b/2b, and he is pretty much a lock for 2-3 wins.

They can patch together some sort of cheap 2 win platoon at 1b if they miss out on JD. They can also acquire a bat at 3b, 2b or 1b due to the versatility of guys like Boom and Kendrick. They did a good job replacing Harper with Soto, and will probably do a good job again replacing Rendon with Boom.

The Braves pretty much need JD, Bryant, or a massive downgrade at 3b from 2019. They have painted themselves into a spot where the only place to add an impact bat easily is at 3b. The Braves backup plans to pair with Camargo vanished when Mous and Shaw were signed.
    This is why I changed my opinion. We now either pay a little more than what JD is worth or ALOT more in prospects.

I’m all for us making a trade from pitching depth, but not from our top position players. I get a sick feeling about trading Pache or Waters. Last time I had that feeling was the HO trade.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-30-2019)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Yeah Nats have some options. Kieboom, maybe trade for Seager, Kendrick can play all over. And they still have a front 3 of Corbin/Stras/Max which is as good as anyone has in baseball.

Their bullpen is a bigger concern to me than 3B. You can get away with only using Doo, Hudson, and one of your SP's in the playoffs as a RP, but not through 162. Braves are in a bigger mess if they dont keep JD, because there's not many options to fill the 3B slot unless AA surprises and gets Arenado.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueagleace1 View Post
    I'm all aboard giving JD a 4th year if that's what it takes but IF we do lose out on him I keep coming back to one team and trade that could/would solve our issues...

Trading for Seager and Haniger would give us what we need and I don't think would cost as much as Bryant or Arenado.
    I think Seager could be Plan C after JD and KB.

He is owed 3/52 if traded, and is projected to be something between Shaw and Mous...both of whom were fallback options to pair with Camargo. He carries negative surplus value, so the Ms would have to kick in cash or add a prospect just to move him.

Haniger has 3 years of arb remaining, and would fit nicely as a cOF on this roster. Adding him to Seager would lower the prospect package needed to acquire him by a good bit.

Seager for 3 years isn’t a great spot to be in, but buying low on Haniger would be nice.

Seager and Haniger plus cash for Riley and an arm could make sense for both teams. Of course, I’m the low man on Riley, so I’m looking to cash him in for anything of value from any team dumb enough to do it.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-28-2019 at 06:05 PM.

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    I think Seager could be Plan C after JD and KB.

He is owed 3/52 if traded, and is projected to be something between Shaw and Mous...both of whom were fallback options to pair with Camargo. He carries negative surplus value, so the Ms would have to kick in cash or add a prospect just to move him.

Haniger has 3 years of arb remaining, and would fit nicely as a cOF on this roster. Adding him to Seager would lower the prospect package needed to acquire him by a good bit.

Seager for 3 years isn’t a great spot to be in, but buying low on Haniger would be nice.

Seager and Haniger plus cash for Riley and an arm could make sense for both teams. Of course, I’m the low man on Riley, so I’m looking to cash him in for anything of value from any team dumb enough to do it.
    That was my thinking too, Seager would just be a means of acquiring Haniger without giving up our big 3. I actually think a Wilson/Camargo/Inciarte for Seager/Haniger makes sense for both teams. Could also expand the deal to include Mallex if you didn't feel comfortable with Acuna and Haniger manning CF until Pache is ready.
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to blueagleace1 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-30-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Seagar comes out better in the expected metrics.

That's not the worst solution and certainly pairing him with Haniger would upgrade two spots assuming health for both.

I don't think 19m/18m/15m is so bad, and maybe you could get him to waive the conversion of the third year.

I think it's certainly a more risky play than Bryant or Arenado in terms of him actually contributing in the present though. Same with Haniger.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueagleace1 View Post
    That was my thinking too, Seager would just be a means of acquiring Haniger without giving up our big 3. I actually think a Wilson/Camargo/Inciarte for Seager/Haniger makes sense for both teams. Could also expand the deal to include Mallex if you didn't feel comfortable with Acuna and Haniger manning CF until Pache is ready.
    This is the best trade scenario to me.

If they JD is asking for a 5TH year for big money...that definitely changes things.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    5 years for JD? $125M?

At some point AA has to admit he misjudged the market for JD and move on to a Plan B.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    5 years for JD? $125M?

At some point AA has to admit he misjudged the market for JD and move on to a Plan B.
    It sucks but they may need to before the fallback options are no longer there.

But I think he, along with a few players, misjudged the amount of money flowing this offseason. He did good to get Hamels when he did, IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    There are a number of fallback options for third. None as good as Donaldson. But that's why they are called fallback options.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    5 years for JD? $125M?

Would that be akin to getting out of Donaldson's barrel,??

Put the lid back on the barrel and move on to a realistic move to fix the power bat needed and get Markakis/Duval platoon out of Snit's grasp.
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Not sure JD gets a contract with a 5th year option but if he does, god bless his agent. Even 4 seems risky, even with the DH likely coming to the NL.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    I wouldn't want to give him 4 years, even if I knew the NL had the DH in '23.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    There are a number of fallback options for third. None as good as Donaldson. But that's why they are called fallback options.
    Needs to decide something soon regardless - his slow decision is keeping me from pulling the trigger on moves to pick up Camargo and Riley in a fantasy league.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?