Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB suspends Astros GM and Manager for a year, yuge fine and takes away draft picks.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Pretty good point. Notice how every pitcher goes there and reclaims that prime form? I'm sure some is advanced stats, but it can't be THAT good for everyone.
    Wasn't he talking about using a foreign substance on the ball? Do I recall that correctly?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    So I'm almost positive the 'bandaid wire' **** is real. Here is Trevor Bauer back on Nov 18th. lmao

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Jack McDowell named LaRussa as a sign stealer in the 80s with the White Sox. Said he installed a camera in the centerfield Gatorade sign with a blinking light to alert the batter to type of pitch.

http://https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28503160/jack-mcdowell-says-tony-la-russa-had-sign-stealing-system-white-sox-80s

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Skeeter31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-25-2020)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    Jack McDowell named LaRussa as a sign stealer in the 80s with the White Sox. Said he installed a camera in the centerfield Gatorade sign with a blinking light to alert the batter to type of pitch.

http://https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28503160/jack-mcdowell-says-tony-la-russa-had-sign-stealing-system-white-sox-80s
    LaRussa invented sign stealing shortly after he invented baseball.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (01-22-2020)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    So, have we forgotten the '51 Giants? (who, BTW, hit significantly worse after the scoreboard started telling them what the next pitch would be than they did without)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    So, when all this started, I really did not expect Houston to get hit hard at all, because the Yankees were caught in 2015 and only fined a little, the BoSox and Yankees were both caught in 2017 and not punished at all, and then, after 2017, the warning was sent out that teams would be punished if caught using electronic means. Since the Astros stuff was also in 2017, I thought, surely they wouldn't be hit that much harder than the other twp teams caught cheating in the same fashion that year, who weren't punished at all.

Well, I was wrong, clearly. And I still think that us pretty damned unjust. I mean, they deserve it, but so did at least two others, and you treat them all the same one way or the other.

But now, we have two different people saying the Yankees used electronic means in 2019, one of them played in AAA for the Yankees that season, if true it would be the third time in 5 seasons they've been caught doing it, it's well after the warning was issued (in part because of the last time they were caught cheating).... and the commissioner's office refuses to open an investigation.

This is ****ed. Either punish everyone guilty, or punish no one.
    Last edited by Snowman; 01-18-2020 at 11:46 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowman For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-25-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    So, when all this started, I really did not expect Houston to get hit hard at all, because the Yankees were caught in 2015 and only fined a little, the BoSox and Yankees were both caught in 2017 and not punished at all, and then, after 2017, the warning was sent out that teams would be punished if caught using electronic means. Since the Astros stuff was also in 2017, I thought, surely they wouldn't be hit that much harder than the other twp teams caught cheating in the same fashion that year, who weren't punished at all.

Well, I was wrong, clearly. And I still think that us pretty damned unjust. I mean, they deserve it, but so did at least two others, and you treat them all the same one way or the other.

But now, we have two different people saying the Yankees used electronic means in 2019, one of them played in AAA for the Yankees that season, if true it would be the third time in 5 seasons they've been caught doing it, it's well after the warning was issued (in part because of the last time they were caught cheating).... and the commissioner's office refuses to open an investigation.

This is ****ed. Either punish everyone guilty, or punish no one.
    Yankees and Red Sox have been cheating big time and need to receive substantial punishment.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    If they did anything to the Yankees and Red Sox, who would play on Sunday night baseball?

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (01-22-2020), Freshmaker (01-20-2020), jpx7 (01-25-2020), zedsdead (01-19-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,699 Posts
    If they were gaining a big advantage using a wire, look for their numbers to drop this season.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    I still can’t imagine how teams are hurt by this. Especially if players knew from other teams. It seems like you could develop ways to beat their cheating and make it pointless to even try to cheat. I know if I was a manager I would put in place a whole new level of signs in 2020 and they would change game by game and even inning by inning. Catchers and pitchers can wear those silly arm notes to know what sign to look for in a sequence of four signs.
    Coppy

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I still can’t imagine how teams are hurt by this. Especially if players knew from other teams. It seems like you could develop ways to beat their cheating and make it pointless to even try to cheat. I know if I was a manager I would put in place a whole new level of signs in 2020 and they would change game by game and even inning by inning. Catchers and pitchers can wear those silly arm notes to know what sign to look for in a sequence of four signs.
    That's great - in theory. The problem is that you need to have the middle infielders aware each time you switch since they often position themselves (or lean a certain way, change who's covering 2B in case of a SB attempt, etc. based on what pitch is called.

Nothing's ever quite as simple as it seems.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    If they were gaining a big advantage using a wire, look for their numbers to drop this season.
    How are they suddenly going to punish them for using a wire when mlb already came out and said they investigated the use of electronic devices and found nothing. I mean I want those asshats to get hammered hard, but let’s be real, they won’t. The players union would pitch a hissy fit and players on that Houston team are no longer on Houston.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    It's all a huge conflict of interest. This is a business, and MLB and the commissioner have the goal to make as much money as possible. So it does not benefit them in any way to go after cheaters and especially penalize the teams in their biggest markets.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    So, have we forgotten the '51 Giants? (who, BTW, hit significantly worse after the scoreboard started telling them what the next pitch would be than they did without)
    A tremendous book picked their cheating apart in great detail, called The Echoing Green, written by Joshua Prager. One of the best researched books of its kind ever written. It proved pretty conclusively that Thomson knew what was coming.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    595 Posts
    A major issue I have with punishing the players is that I don’t see how any of them had a realistic way to opt out of this organizational cheating. The proper punishment is to ban the owners and force the sale of the team.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    A major issue I have with punishing the players is that I don’t see how any of them had a realistic way to opt out of this organizational cheating. The proper punishment is to ban the owners and force the sale of the team.
    Sure you tell them: "I'm not participating in whatever drug deal you're cooking up"

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    595 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Sure you tell them: "I'm not participating in whatever drug deal you're cooking up"
    And then the organization is like ok cool. Enjoy not participating down in AAA or out of baseball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,699 Posts
    And then the organization is like ok cool. Enjoy not participating down in AAA or out of baseball.
    You really think they'd do that? 1 call would get the GM and manager banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,506 Posts
    Lmao. Yeah, the Astros are going to ban George Springer, Jose Altuve, Carlos Correa, and/or Alex Bregman because they didn't want to cheat. Not to mention this wouldn't be allowed in any way shape or form.

Is this a serious post?