Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves sign OF Marcell Ozuna to 1 yr, 18 Million.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    You guys are living in that fantasy world where real GMs are all going to use FV charts when making trades no matter what. All the numbers make tons of sense in theory - unfortunately the guys that do this for a living aren't playing fantasy baseball and they have fanbases to answer to.
    i think you're crazy if you don't think GMs use surplus value calculations when making deals. AA pretty clearly considers this stuff heavily. any good FO isn't making deals based on feeling and names. value is the name of the game.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-22-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    You guys are living in that fantasy world where real GMs are all going to use FV charts when making trades no matter what. All the numbers make tons of sense in theory - unfortunately the guys that do this for a living aren't playing fantasy baseball and they have fanbases to answer to.

If Theo or Bridich traded those guys without getting AT LEAST one of those prospects back, they'd be shown the door pretty quickly unless it was a Machado type of situation. If Bryant shockingly wins his grievance there's a non-zero chance that could happen in July, but that's so unlikely it's just shy of being a pipe dream. Whether it fits the popular numbers-based narrative or not, they actually have jobs doing this that they probably prefer to keep.
    It's been proven that GMs do in fact use charts just like that when evaluating trades.

clvclv gonna clvclv.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i think you're crazy if you don't think GMs use surplus value calculations when making deals. AA pretty clearly considers this stuff heavily. any good FO isn't making deals based on feeling and names. value is the name of the game.
    And even the ones who aren't specifically using those terms and valuations are still doing it to a certain extent just from feel and experience. The numbers aren't some huge new invention, they're a codification of the valuations that the market had already created on its own. No one ever sat down and said, okay, I declare that a free agent win is worth $8-9 million. They compared wins to what they drew on the free agent market and codified the value reality had already set.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowman For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-22-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Didn't realize Scooter Gennett was a FA. He immediately moves up the list for me to number 1, ahead of Holt. At the very least, he'd be a fantastic super sub.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    At no point did I infer that they don't consider them - some more strongly than others - simply that while they're the sword internet heroes love to live and die on, they're not the only thing that people that get paid to do this have to pay attention to.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    At no point did I infer that they don't consider them - some more strongly than others - simply that while they're the sword internet heroes love to live and die on, they're not the only thing that people that get paid to do this have to pay attention to.
    i think they use them very heavily. as in, they are probably one of the most important tools in deciding trades. in fact, a lot of recent trades, you can match up the surplus values on each side pretty closely.
    it 100% is a widely, heavily-used tool.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    You absolutely implied that GMs don't value them highly. Or else you wouldn't have said it.

90 percent of Cubs fans won't care who they get in return, they will be mad even if they got back Pache and Waters both. I doubt very much Theo cares about that. He's trying to keep his job currently, so he'll accept the best offer if he feels it's the best move for the team. If not, he'll keep Bryant and try to other ways to improve the club. Simple as that.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-22-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts

If Theo or Bridich traded those guys without getting AT LEAST one of those prospects back, they'd be shown the door pretty quickly unless it was a Machado type of situation. If Bryant shockingly wins his grievance there's a non-zero chance that could happen in July, but that's so unlikely it's just shy of being a pipe dream. Whether it fits the popular numbers-based narrative or not, they actually have jobs doing this that they probably prefer to keep.
    Do you even read what you write? As many have pointed out, it has been proven that orgs use exactly that to weigh heavily in their trade decisions.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acuńa’s Bat Flip View Post

You would think the Braves would get something better than the near worst case scenario out of it's starting pitching that they got last season. Folty and Gausman imploding. Newk getting the incredibly short hook. A procession of failures from AAA before Soroka and Fried stabilized things and they added Keuchel. The same thing could happen again, but you'd have to think on balance that it will probably be better.

The bullpen would seem to be drastically improved. It's hard to see how this could be a complete disaster, which at times last season's pen was. You have your one time closer, maybe providing middle relief.

Ozuna is a possibility to replicate Donaldson's season, but will likely fall short. On the other hand, you have a shot at getting better production out of Swanson, Inciarte/Markakis/Duvall, and possibly catcher.

It's a reasonable place to begin the season. Probably one or two pieces short of being a favorite.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-22-2020)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    I get Clv's point. A local radio announcer (Chuckery) was ranting last night about how we needed to give up Pache+ to go get Arenado. But as we can see, their GM quickly announced Arenado was not leaving a couple of days ago after he did not receive an offer that he figured his fans would stomach.

Back to Ozuna, I love the signing. Riley might not pan out, but Donaldson blocks him. Pache and Waters might not pan out, but now we have a cleanup hitter and no one is blocked. If we can get lucky and have another position player or two somewhat hit and the same with another starter or two, we are so set it's not funny. I also think we will still be able to pull off the late round draft strategy even after loosing the Ozuna pick.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
    I get Clv's point. A local radio announcer (Chuckery) was ranting last night about how we needed to give up Pache+ to go get Arenado. But as we can see, their GM quickly announced Arenado was not leaving a couple of days ago after he did not receive an offer that he figured his fans would stomach.
    a sport radio host has no idea how GMs operate. that's not shocking.
    that doesn't change the fact that GMs 100% use surplus value heavily when deciding on trades and signings and such.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    You would think the Braves would get something better than the near worst case scenario out of it's starting pitching that they got last season. Folty and Gausman imploding. Newk getting the incredibly short hook. A procession of failures from AAA before Soroka and Fried stabilized things and they added Keuchel. The same thing could happen again, but you'd have to think on balance that it will probably be better.
    yeah. it's not like everything went right for the Braves last year.
    however, two things:
    1). they won a ton of close games. can't rely on that again.
    2). they benefitted greatly from Washington's super slow start. can't bank on that again.

i think the roster is a good bit improved top-to-bottom compared to the beginning of last season tho. i expect the rotation to be much better out of the gate, as well as the 'pen.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-22-2020)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    a sport radio host has no idea how GMs operate. that's not shocking.
    that doesn't change the fact that GMs 100% use surplus value heavily when deciding on trades and signings and such.

To be fair Bridich is a horrible GM and may possibly think that something like the Tex deal is going to happen for his star player if he waits it out.

Would't be shocked if Nolan opts out in 2 years and the Rockies get nothing.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-22-2020)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Did you even read? He said without Waters/Pache/Anderson
    Yeah i wouldnt move any of those for them, but if you can get either without parting with them, tell me why the hell not?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-22-2020)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Ozuna probably wont replace JD's production, but the team as a whole is probably the best it's been under AA's tenure.

Bullpen is stupid deep. Luke Jackson is probably the 5th option from the pen when he was the closer last year for a good chunk of the season.

Two of Webb, Dayton, Minter, Sobo, maybe even Newk if Wright beats him out wont be in the pen. Nick is moved to a part-time role, TDA is an upgrade to Mac. Still have prospects to make a big splash if AA feels like the need arises and wants to go for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Dave Stewart went with his gut.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Is not Ozuna versus JD

It is Ozuna/Camargo or Riley versus JD/Neck. I only add Riley because I am not sure who wins the job out of spring.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    yeah. it's not like everything went right for the Braves last year.
    however, two things:
    1). they won a ton of close games. can't rely on that again.
    2). they benefitted greatly from Washington's super slow start. can't bank on that again.

i think the roster is a good bit improved top-to-bottom compared to the beginning of last season tho. i expect the rotation to be much better out of the gate, as well as the 'pen.

Maybe winning 63% of the one run games is not something the Braves can count on, but one run games aren't a coin flip either. Good teams tend to win them at higher rates, particularly those teams that have good pitching.

The Braves were 18-20 on May 9th. I think I remember that being a symptom of pitching dysfunction, but it might be interesting to go back and look. I think with the Braves lineup now you could expect a more stable pitching staff to pick up several games there. That's a hypothesis anyway.

That might well offset any reduction in one run games.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-22-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    To be fair Bridich is a horrible GM and may possibly think that something like the Tex deal is going to happen for his star player if he waits it out.

Would't be shocked if Nolan opts out in 2 years and the Rockies get nothing.

I think they could give him a QO. So a draft pick perhaps.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I think they could give him a QO. So a draft pick perhaps.
    Strasburg got a QO, and he opted out, but i'd be surprised if he's not traded within the next 12 months if not sooner. They need to get SOMETHING for him before he leaves.