Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves sign OF Marcell Ozuna to 1 yr, 18 Million.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    i wonder what this does to AA's in-season flexibility. i have to believe he left some space to take someone on. which means payroll is going up way higher and quicker than i think anyone thought.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-22-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Did you even read? He said without Waters/Pache/Anderson
    Exactly which planet where at least one (if not two) of those three wouldn't have to be included to make an Arenado or Bryant deal happen do you live on?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Exactly which planet where at least one (if not two) of those three wouldn't have to be included to make an Arenado or Bryant deal happen do you live on?
    it's very possible one of them could be had without giving up any of those guys. as has been stated, Arenado has very little surplus value and isn't happy. Bryant has 1 or 2 years and is also unhappy. the packages for them likely won't be what many think they "should" be.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Well considering Arenado has an opt out in 2 years and is making about $30 million a year... no way in hell

You're also vastly over valuing Bryant's trade value.... not that I'm surprised

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    it's very possible one of them could be had without giving up any of those guys. as has been stated, Arenado has very little surplus value and isn't happy. Bryant has 1 or 2 years and is also unhappy. the packages for them likely won't be what many think they "should" be.
    You think we could take on his salary? I'm not seeing that. Seems they'd have to eat a lion's share of the salary, which would increase his surplus value quite a bit

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-22-2020), jpx7 (01-22-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    You think we could take on his salary? I'm not seeing that. Seems they'd have to eat a lion's share of the salary, which would increase his surplus value quite a bit
    definitely not, i can't see the Braves trading for either of them right now with the payroll where it is.
    i could maybe see something in-season for Bryant. still don't think you'd necessarily have to give up any of those guys.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts
    I AA gets Bryant, this lineup should be outstanding.

Braves would then need Pache and Waters to pan out into quality MLB players and be set in the outfield for the next 4-5 years starting in 2021

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpack1 View Post
    I AA gets Bryant, this lineup should be outstanding.

Braves would then need Pache and Waters to pan out into quality MLB players and be set in the outfield for the next 4-5 years starting in 2021
    FWIW, I think we're done for the offseason, but a lineup of Acuna CF-Albies 2B-Freeman 1B-Ozuna LF-Bryant 3B-Markakis/Duvall LF-Swanson SS-Flowers/TD C would be outstanding. To make Bryant's salary work, I'd guess Ender would have to be traded.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    i wonder what this does to AA's in-season flexibility. i have to believe he left some space to take someone on. which means payroll is going up way higher and quicker than i think anyone thought.
    Which is a great point. Not sure anybody predicted payroll was going to go up this fast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    i have to believe he left some space to take someone on. which means payroll is going up way higher and quicker than i think anyone thought.
    i have to believe...therefore it will
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

13. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-22-2020)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I think the org believes in Riley too much to trade get Bryant or Nolan right now. I agree with Super that it is minor adjustments from here on out and then reassess at the trade deadline. We have a team to keep us in great shape till then.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    i have to believe...therefore it will
    AA reiterates over and over he hasn't been told "NO" before when it comes to the budget. I'd think a midseason acquisition of some size would test that theory. Still, it gives hope.
    Ivermectin Man

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-22-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Brock Holt is basically it.
    Neil Walker might be another nice stealthy add that could probably be had cheap - career .270/.344/.447 hitter as a lefty with attractive high leverage numbers that could pair pretty nicely with Camargo. His .306 BABIP from that side shouldn't give AA much reason to consider him an overly "lucky" option.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-22-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Arguably the best thing about this whole offseason (other than emerging from it with Pache, Waters, Riley, and all the arms still intact) is that it allows you to do just that - pitch them in the 5th-7th.
    It's crazy how much deeper our pen is this year. AA learned from his mistake last offseason. Our best relievers going into last year are now almost mop up guys. This could be the difference in a fair number of games.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-22-2020), jpx7 (01-22-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Neil Walker might be another nice stealthy add that could probably be had cheap - career .270/.344/.447 hitter as a lefty with attractive high leverage numbers that could pair pretty nicely with Camargo. His .306 BABIP from that side shouldn't give AA much reason to consider him an overly "lucky" option.
    he played a lot of 1B last year. not sure he could handle 3B in any kind of larger capacity than 1-2 innings.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Holt makes a ton of sense for this team right now. 119 wRC+ vs righties last year and plays solid defense. wonder if he's asking for more than the Braves are comfortable with. he and Camargo could be a really solid platoon.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-22-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    For Arenado it's pretty clear it wouldn't unless the Rox are picking up 50+ million.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-22-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Well considering Arenado has an opt out in 2 years and is making about $30 million a year... no way in hell

You're also vastly over valuing Bryant's trade value.... not that I'm surprised
    You guys are living in that fantasy world where real GMs are all going to use FV charts when making trades no matter what. All the numbers make tons of sense in theory - unfortunately the guys that do this for a living aren't playing fantasy baseball and they have fanbases to answer to.

If Theo or Bridich traded those guys without getting AT LEAST one of those prospects back, they'd be shown the door pretty quickly unless it was a Machado type of situation. If Bryant shockingly wins his grievance there's a non-zero chance that could happen in July, but that's so unlikely it's just shy of being a pipe dream. Whether it fits the popular numbers-based narrative or not, they actually have jobs doing this that they probably prefer to keep.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    he played a lot of 1B last year. not sure he could handle 3B in any kind of larger capacity than 1-2 innings.
    Yeah, that's the same worry I'd have. Mainly mentioning him since I don't think we've heard his name a single time this winter and that you might be able to get him on the same kind of deal AA got Solarte and Culberson to take.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Brad Miller is out there if he can play 3B. not sure what his arm is like
    Scott Gennett is also out there. can prob play 3rd. wonder what's going on with him.
    and then Holt.

any of them i'd be cool with.