Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I need to vent on this Duck Dynasty "Controversy".

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts

I need to vent on this Duck Dynasty "Controversy".

So the big fuss on social media and news outlets is Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty did an interview with GQ where he said some slightly homophobic and anti-homosexual stuff. Well he got suspended indefinitely and now...

The religious right and right have come to his defense extremely hard.

The recurring themes coming from today are:

"They're censoring him. This is fascism. They wont' let him say what he wants."
    "This is an attack on our religious freedoms, he has the right to say whatever he wants."
    "They're infringing on his freedom of speech. LIBERALS LIBERALS LIBERALS!"
    "They're firing him because of his beliefs!!! LIBERALS LIBERALS LIBERALS!"
    "HE DIDN'T EVEN SAY IT ON A&E TV OR CAMERAS, HOW CAN THEY DO THIS!! CENSORSHIP!! LIBERALS DESTROYING AMERICA!"
    "Liberals are targeting celebrities that have faith"

I want to go ahead and vent about this.

Phil Robertson is employed by A&E (50% owned by ABC-Disney). He is their employee. He is free to say whatever he wants. However there are consequences. His freedom of speech is protected by the government. This is why he isn't being arrested and thrown in jail. That does not however prevent A&E from having their own code of conduct policies in which I'm sure is written in their contract with Robertson.

Larry the Cable Guy does not sound or talk like a redneck hillbilly in real life. It is a faux accent/dialect he uses for entertainment purposes. Whenever Larry is in front of a camera, in the public domain he uses his persona to come out. Phil Robertson because of the fact he's achieved popularity via Duck Dynasty, wherever he goes into the public in front of cameras or a microphone, he carries his character from Duck Dynasty with him. He essentially is Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty when in front of a media outlet. Why? Because nobody cares about Phil Robertson the millionaire who created a duck hunting tool before the TV show. They care about the guy from the TV show. Phil Robertson went to a magazine and said some things. His employer, after receiving outrage, decides to punish him for it.

This is NOT infringing on his freedom of speech. They are not censoring him. I'm almost certain in his contract with A&E, there are written terms that states whenever he goes and uses his likeness from the TV show in public forum like a magazine or Letterman, Leno interview, that he's expected to behave a certain way (and that language includes language too). You know the reason why Phil and his family are not outspoken and speaking out and protesting his suspension? They KNOW that it's in their contracts.

He is NOT fired. Suspended Indefinitely is hollywood/entertainment biz lingo for "We got taken by surprise that this controversy came so quickly that we didn't even know we were going to suspended you, but because there's people complaining we're going to do it until the fire dies down". Remember Dog the Bounty Hunter? He, whom is also an openly devout Christian, got suspended by A&E in 2007 for dropping the n-bomb several times outside of the show, not on TV, on the phone in a personal conversation with his son. What happened after that? He got suspended indefinitely, went on talk shows to apologize and did the damage control. What happened after that? He was brought back on A&E for FIVE SEASONS. FIVE SEASONS. 5 MORE YEARS after that scandal. Not a peep in the media about that either today. Robertson is "suspended" until this scandal hits the backpages and dies out of the headlines.

At the end of the day, Duck Dynasty makes wayyyy too much money for A&E for them to stop. It's hilarious how all of these rednecks on facebook are outraged over this and at A&E. HELLLLOOOO. A&E produces a show dedicated to their common denominator, exploits that denominator/demographic, and you think they're being one-sided? Go to Wal-Mart or Dick's Sporting Goods and look at all the Duck Dynasty merchandise. Coffee mugs, thermos, hats, sweaters, flip flops, fridge magnets, Iphone skin, spatulas all with Duck Dynasty branding. There's too much money for them to fire him over.

We are all entitled to freedom of speech but at the workplace it's a different story. Well wait, you're saying it wasn't even on A&E or on TV so what are you talking about? As I mentioned, celebrities are held to different standards. Their fame comes from constant exposure, and with that, whenever Robertson does a media appearance, he is THAT guy from Duck Dynasty. Your reputation and personality precedes you before you go on any talk show. If this were a regular job, the fact that sexual harassment is so broadly defined at the workplace, Zito and his company could technically get sued if Zito tells new girl "You look pretty" even if it's in a non-sexual/hostile manner. The fact she thinks Zito is creepy is enough for her to complain sexual harassment and likely win. Where is the outrage on Zito's freedom of speech being infringed upon?

If I threaten someone and don't touch them, I could get arrested as well.

People think freedom of speech means say whatever the hell you want and have no consequence. I can't call my boss a cu-t at work or at a bar and NOT expect for there to be consequences or repercussions.
    Forever Fredi

2. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Runnin (12-19-2013)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Sure... but it's a joke he was suspended.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    Dumbest fake controversy this month. I especially enjoy the politicians chiming in since apparently they have nothing more important to do with their time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Imus got canned for some off color comments.

I don't like it when people are threatened and bullied like that. As long as he doesn't have to apologiize (which is fake) or isn't fired, I couldn't care less.

Phil doesn't need A&E, but A&E needs him.
    Ivermectin Man

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    KL, while I agree with you from a legal standpoint I couldn't disagree more as far as the overall 1st amendment thing goes. The very same people who are the most pissed off about this are the same ones who believe their right to free speech is absolute (and we all know who those folks are don't we?)!!!! They should be able to say anything to anyone at any time with no consequences but they have zero problems with censoring any speech they disagree with. This almost certainly has to be some sort of publicity stunt, unless the show/comments were live, if anyone needs to get suspended it's the producer, director, etc. who didn't realize this would cause problems.

As for the show I really wish they'd censor they whole damn thing, I would turn off the TV before I'd watch 5 minutes of that crap and as far as people sleeping with whomever they please I don't consider that any of my business either so let them bang whomever they please, I tend to agree with CK, I think it's a ploy for the right to get some attention, after all the Megan Kelly's "I'm just a victim because people are mad because I didn't realize Santa and Jesus weren't WASPs" comment. There's nothing the conservatives from TV and Radio love more than playing the victim card.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oklahomahawk For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (12-19-2013), Runnin (12-19-2013)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Imus got canned for some off color comments.

I don't like it when people are threatened and bullied like that. As long as he doesn't have to apologiize (which is fake) or isn't fired, I couldn't care less.

Phil doesn't need A&E, but A&E needs him.
    I think Imus' comments were a lot worse than this. I don't understand the whole "Duck Dynasty" thing, but Robertson, as a citizen, should be afforded the right to say what he wants without fearing retribution. I guess being an employee of a large conglomerate can put a damper on speech rights (and I'm sure there's a clause in his contract that allows this type of behavior on the part of A&E). I don't agree with Robertson here, but it does get really tiring the way people get cowed whenever they utter anything even mildly controversial.

PS--I think Oklahoma Hawk makes some very pertinent points.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    So the big fuss on social media and news outlets is Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty did an interview with GQ where he said some slightly homophobic and anti-homosexual stuff. Well he got suspended indefinitely and now...

The religious right and right have come to his defense extremely hard.

The recurring themes coming from today are:

"They're censoring him. This is fascism. They wont' let him say what he wants."
    "This is an attack on our religious freedoms, he has the right to say whatever he wants."
    "They're infringing on his freedom of speech. LIBERALS LIBERALS LIBERALS!"
    "They're firing him because of his beliefs!!! LIBERALS LIBERALS LIBERALS!"
    "HE DIDN'T EVEN SAY IT ON A&E TV OR CAMERAS, HOW CAN THEY DO THIS!! CENSORSHIP!! LIBERALS DESTROYING AMERICA!"
    "Liberals are targeting celebrities that have faith"

I want to go ahead and vent about this.

Phil Robertson is employed by A&E (50% owned by ABC-Disney). He is their employee. He is free to say whatever he wants. However there are consequences. His freedom of speech is protected by the government. This is why he isn't being arrested and thrown in jail. That does not however prevent A&E from having their own code of conduct policies in which I'm sure is written in their contract with Robertson.

Larry the Cable Guy does not sound or talk like a redneck hillbilly in real life. It is a faux accent/dialect he uses for entertainment purposes. Whenever Larry is in front of a camera, in the public domain he uses his persona to come out. Phil Robertson because of the fact he's achieved popularity via Duck Dynasty, wherever he goes into the public in front of cameras or a microphone, he carries his character from Duck Dynasty with him. He essentially is Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty when in front of a media outlet. Why? Because nobody cares about Phil Robertson the millionaire who created a duck hunting tool before the TV show. They care about the guy from the TV show. Phil Robertson went to a magazine and said some things. His employer, after receiving outrage, decides to punish him for it.

This is NOT infringing on his freedom of speech. They are not censoring him. I'm almost certain in his contract with A&E, there are written terms that states whenever he goes and uses his likeness from the TV show in public forum like a magazine or Letterman, Leno interview, that he's expected to behave a certain way (and that language includes language too). You know the reason why Phil and his family are not outspoken and speaking out and protesting his suspension? They KNOW that it's in their contracts.

He is NOT fired. Suspended Indefinitely is hollywood/entertainment biz lingo for "We got taken by surprise that this controversy came so quickly that we didn't even know we were going to suspended you, but because there's people complaining we're going to do it until the fire dies down". Remember Dog the Bounty Hunter? He, whom is also an openly devout Christian, got suspended by A&E in 2007 for dropping the n-bomb several times outside of the show, not on TV, on the phone in a personal conversation with his son. What happened after that? He got suspended indefinitely, went on talk shows to apologize and did the damage control. What happened after that? He was brought back on A&E for FIVE SEASONS. FIVE SEASONS. 5 MORE YEARS after that scandal. Not a peep in the media about that either today. Robertson is "suspended" until this scandal hits the backpages and dies out of the headlines.

At the end of the day, Duck Dynasty makes wayyyy too much money for A&E for them to stop. It's hilarious how all of these rednecks on facebook are outraged over this and at A&E. HELLLLOOOO. A&E produces a show dedicated to their common denominator, exploits that denominator/demographic, and you think they're being one-sided? Go to Wal-Mart or Dick's Sporting Goods and look at all the Duck Dynasty merchandise. Coffee mugs, thermos, hats, sweaters, flip flops, fridge magnets, Iphone skin, spatulas all with Duck Dynasty branding. There's too much money for them to fire him over.

We are all entitled to freedom of speech but at the workplace it's a different story. Well wait, you're saying it wasn't even on A&E or on TV so what are you talking about? As I mentioned, celebrities are held to different standards. Their fame comes from constant exposure, and with that, whenever Robertson does a media appearance, he is THAT guy from Duck Dynasty. Your reputation and personality precedes you before you go on any talk show. If this were a regular job, the fact that sexual harassment is so broadly defined at the workplace, Zito and his company could technically get sued if Zito tells new girl "You look pretty" even if it's in a non-sexual/hostile manner. The fact she thinks Zito is creepy is enough for her to complain sexual harassment and likely win. Where is the outrage on Zito's freedom of speech being infringed upon?

If I threaten someone and don't touch them, I could get arrested as well.

People think freedom of speech means say whatever the hell you want and have no consequence. I can't call my boss a cu-t at work or at a bar and NOT expect for there to be consequences or repercussions.
    You need a better example. zito would never get the bum's rush from the new girl.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    He has every right to say what he feels. They have every right to suspend him over it.

But, this is more just dumb Americans. The dude is a devout Christian, did people previously think he was a big fan of ***s?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (12-19-2013)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    You need a better example. zito would never get the bum's rush from the new girl.
    Dont know many women that like men that eat ice cream for breakfast and have no desire to work a real job.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    I should have put in my rant, that I do believe we're becoming a waaaaay too politically correct country to where you can't say anything the least bit controversial and expect to NOT get some type of outrage/backlash,.

I think he should be able to say what he wants and not get in trouble but the fact is, A&E had the right to do it within their bounds. This is a money driven business. A&E gets complaints, they do nothing, that will stir up more outrage and complaints and sponsors back out, their channel ratings drop etc. It's the nature of the beast right now. It's sad we've come to this point, where anything you say CAN and WILL be used against you in the court of public opinion.

I'm just simply pointing out that his freedom of speech was not infringed IMO. Employer's rules are different from what the constitution grants you. A lot of people on social media seem to be grouping them together when really it's apples and oranges.
    Forever Fredi

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (12-19-2013), FreemanFan (12-21-2013), jpx7 (12-19-2013)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    This is fake-outrage fodder to keep people feeling besieged . . . trapped in the mentality that their way of life is under thread from the elites and queers. The common thread is always that, somehow, those who make up the majority are systematically victimized and oppressed.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (12-20-2013), Dalyn (12-20-2013), goldfly (12-20-2013), jpx7 (12-19-2013)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I'd expect a ringing endorsement of A&E's right to enforce their contract.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (12-19-2013), jpx7 (12-19-2013), The Chosen One (12-19-2013)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    I should have put in my rant, that I do believe we're becoming a waaaaay too politically correct country to where you can't say anything the least bit controversial and expect to NOT get some type of outrage/backlash,.

I think he should be able to say what he wants and not get in trouble but the fact is, A&E had the right to do it within their bounds. This is a money driven business. A&E gets complaints, they do nothing, that will stir up more outrage and complaints and sponsors back out, their channel ratings drop etc. It's the nature of the beast right now. It's sad we've come to this point, where anything you say CAN and WILL be used against you in the court of public opinion.

I'm just simply pointing out that his freedom of speech was not infringed IMO. Employer's rules are different from what the constitution grants you. A lot of people on social media seem to be grouping them together when really it's apples and oranges.
    Well other than the Emancipation Proclamation and Roe v. Wade our 1st amendment rights are probably the LEAST understood stuff our kids AREN'T learning in school or in life, and quite frankly most of the adults I know aren't learning much about that stuff either.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I'd expect a ringing endorsement of A&E's right to enforce their contract.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

BRule (12-20-2013), The Chosen One (12-19-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    Random question: Is a person who calls someone else a bigot actually a bigot themselves?

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    Well other than the Emancipation Proclamation and Roe v. Wade our 1st amendment rights are probably the LEAST understood stuff our kids AREN'T learning in school or in life, and quite frankly most of the adults I know aren't learning much about that stuff either.
    That's why we have you and 50. To teach our kids.

The only thing I can properly teach kids is to how to hit an effective serve, or hit a powerful forehand and clean backhand.
    Forever Fredi

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CK86 View Post
    Random question: Is a person who calls someone else a bigot actually a bigot themselves?
    Depends. Pointing out an observation versus calling someone a bigot to make you feel right in turn makes you a bigot.

If someone used a derogatory slur at me, I'd say "You're prejudice.", if they used a derogatory slur at me and I said "Holy cow you're prejudice you white trash piece of s---", then yes that would make me a bigot.
    Forever Fredi

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Forever Fredi

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    That's why we have you and 50. To teach our kids.

The only thing I can properly teach kids is to how to hit an effective serve, or hit a powerful forehand and clean backhand.
    Well I don't know about Fitty, but I seem to be falling behind in my responsibilities given the number of people who don't seem to know what's going on....

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts

Well at least the English teachers aren't doing better than us social science teachers.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomahawk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-19-2013)