Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring has Sprung

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    He's struggling right now for whatever reason.
    yeah dude, no one said "actually he's mashing right now!" he's obviously not hitting well. it just means nothing and doesn't matter.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Just in... Snitker considering going with Markakis in RF to open the season due to Acuna's poor spring.
    It's important to start planning ahead.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    Ok fine. they are trying to hit balls into the OCEAN. Indian ocean.

Is that ok?
    Pretty sure they prefer to be called Native Americans.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

Metaphysicist (03-09-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Acuna has struck out 11 times in 25 PA this spring. I don't think it's crazy at all to question what's going on. Look at acuna's 3 ST stat lines prior to this year... they look nothing like this one. As I said earlier, I'm not freaking out about it, but I also don't buy in to he's practicing his swing and misses. He's struggling right now for whatever reason.

ETA... I do expect Acuna to starting mashing soon
    He hit like ass in AAA for awhile too when he didn't make the club out of ST. I'm sure he's working on some things, but ST stat lines are extremely meaningless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Acuna has struck out 11 times in 25 PA this spring. I don't think it's crazy at all to question what's going on. Look at acuna's 3 ST stat lines prior to this year... they look nothing like this one. As I said earlier, I'm not freaking out about it, but I also don't buy in to he's practicing his swing and misses. He's struggling right now for whatever reason.

ETA... I do expect Acuna to starting mashing soon
    Talking about it this much is quite literally freaking out over it. lmao.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Talking about it this much is quite literally freaking out over it. lmao.
    Got me. Going to doctor to get prescription to Xanax... can't sleep, can't eat... Acuna's K numbers are consuming me

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-09-2020), jpx7 (03-09-2020)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,367 Posts
    If acuna had 5 bombs and hitting .400 there would be10 pages of how he is going to rake but when he struggles it is meaningless. Yeah he will be fine but the justifications is always funny to me. It is like when a guy struggles is AAA he is working on something but when he is dominating then he is ready to move up.

It is ok to point out that acuna is garbage right now. It is ok to wonder if he has a hiccup in his swing or something nagging him. But I don’t see anyone panicking at this point. Just saying he is hitting like ass right now.
    Coppy

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

clvclv (03-09-2020), msstate7 (03-09-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    He hit like ass in AAA for awhile too when he didn't make the club out of ST. I'm sure he's working on some things, but ST stat lines are extremely meaningless.
    before being called up his rookie year, he was hitting .211 with a 64 wRC+ in games that actually counted.
    the Braves obviously didn't think there was anything wrong because they called him up...and iirc he did pretty well once being called up.
    but yes these ST stats are *definitely* worth talking about
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    It's probably due more to lack of effort/trying to not get injured than him simply struggling or having an injury or something. And that's not meant to be a criticism, btw. I'm sure he's working on some things in his own way, but I doubt that many players with starting spots locked up are out there giving it all they got during ST. ST stat lines are extremely meaningless for the majority of players for this very reason. Javy Baez hit like ass in 2018 ST and finished 2nd for MVP that year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    before being called up his rookie year, he was hitting .211 with a 64 wRC+ in games that actually counted.
    the Braves obviously didn't think there was anything wrong because they called him up...and iirc he did pretty well once being called up.
    If I recall, there were reports he looked bored in AAA. I could see that. Not a great characteristic you want to see out of a prospect, but he was 20 years old, so it's hard to be too negative on him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    If I recall, there were reports he looked bored in AAA. I could see that. Not a great characteristic you want to see out of a prospect, but he was 20 years old, so it's hard to be too negative on him.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    FWIW==

The following are out of options.

Adam Duvall, LF
    Luke Jackson, P
    Grant Dayton, P
    Mike Foltynewicz, P
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to salmagundy For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    FWIW==

The following are out of options.

Adam Duvall, LF
    Luke Jackson, P
    Grant Dayton, P
    Mike Foltynewicz, P
    Dayton is probably only questionable for spot, right?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Dayton is probably only questionable for spot, right?
    I don't think Dayton gets claimed. I suppose he could request his release, but considering he's a journeyman and so many teams will have their 40 man rosters set, I'd probably roll the dice and assign him to AAA. Tyler Matzek looks legit. I hope he makes it as the 2nd lefty. I also hope Josh Tomlin is booted to AAA (or booted off the team in general) in favor of Weigel or Touki. Preferrably Weigel given how strong he has looked so far in ST and the fact that I want Touki to get another look as a starter in AAA this year.

Rotation I would assume will be Soroka, Fried, Folty, Felix, and Newk to start the season.
    Last edited by Carp; 03-09-2020 at 10:10 AM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,520 Posts
    I believe one of our resident experts had it on good authority that he was “silently pouting.”

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

Carp (03-09-2020), jpx7 (03-09-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I don't think Dayton gets claimed. I suppose he could request his release, but considering he's a journeyman and so many teams will have their 40 man rosters set, I'd probably roll the dice and assign him to AAA. Tyler Matzek looks legit. I hope he makes it as the 2nd lefty. I also hope Josh Tomlin is booted to AAA (or booted off the team in general) in favor of Weigel or Touki. Preferrably Weigel given how strong he has looked so far in ST and the fact that I want Touki to get another look as a starter in AAA this year.

Rotation I would assume will be Soroka, Fried, Folty, Felix, and Newk to start the season.

Not sure what else Weigel can do to earn a spot at this point - disheartening to hear Snitker ramble on that "I think his velocity will get back with work". Unlike most of the 5th-6th inning guys we've had in recent years, he's not walking anybody, not having to wriggle off the hook because hitters are reaching on weak contact, etc.. Snitker rarely uses anybody for more than one inning anymore (Tomlin included), and Weigel's the exact opposite of Tomlin/Webb/Sobotka/Minter who you always worry will put lots of guys on and keep you from holding things where they are so the offense can get you back in a game or that will turn a 5 run lead into a tight game quickly.

With Wright, Anderson, Wilson, Davidson, Muller, and Ynoa (plus potentially De La Cruz) also all likely in Gwinnett, I'm not sure Touki gets another shot to start while he's a Brave - if that is indeed the case, I wish they'd commit to giving him the 9th inning if he gets sent down because I still think he could eventually become a late-inning weapon at the MLB level.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-09-2020)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Not sure what else Weigel can do to earn a spot at this point - disheartening to hear Snitker ramble on that "I think his velocity will get back with work". Unlike most of the 5th-6th inning guys we've had in recent years, he's not walking anybody, not having to wriggle off the hook because hitters are reaching on weak contact, etc.. Snitker rarely uses anybody for more than one inning anymore (Tomlin included), and Weigel's the exact opposite of Tomlin/Webb/Sobotka/Minter who you always worry will put lots of guys on and keep you from holding things where they are so the offense can get you back in a game or that will turn a 5 run lead into a tight game quickly.

With Wright, Anderson, Wilson, Davidson, Muller, and Ynoa (plus potentially De La Cruz) also all likely in Gwinnett, I'm not sure Touki gets another shot to start while he's a Brave - if that is indeed the case, I wish they'd commit to giving him the 9th inning if he gets sent down because I still think he could eventually become a late-inning weapon at the MLB level.
    What logic is there in continuing to throw SP innings at Ynoa, but foreclosing starting for Toussaint?

The former’s future is essentially a fait accompli, and the Braves’ treatment of him last year reflected that. Meanwhile, Toussaint actually has a starter’s repertoire; the question is simply whether he can command it sufficiently with more reps.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-09-2020), Snowman (03-09-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Got me. Going to doctor to get prescription to Xanax... can't sleep, can't eat... Acuna's K numbers are consuming me
    You're the one who posted about Acuna's not-even-remotely-important Spring Training stats.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    You're the one who posted about Acuna's not-even-remotely-important Spring Training stats.
    It's bc I'm freaking out

28. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-09-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    It's bc I'm freaking out
    Boy, you gonna get this d1ck if you don't watch it