Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    How does that relate to WAR?
    7 wins = 7 WAR (Wins Above Rudy*)

*After doing some science, it was found that Rudy Guiliani will work for free, so he is the prototypical freely available replacement lawyer.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Metaphysicist For This Useful Post:

Runnin (02-16-2020)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Maybe, maybe not... He was a virtually identical player LHH and RHH in 2018... 2017 was a small sample and his first experience as a big leaguer, and in 2019 he was awful all around.

But let's not forget when he went back to AAA last year, he lit it up and when called back up he was on fire for the rest of the season before going out with the injury.
    Camargo in 3503 PAs over 8 seasons: .284/.338/.382/.720

Camargo in the majors, 504 PAs, 2017 and 2019 combined: .266/.305/.419/.724

Camargo in 2018: .272/.349/.457/.806

It's really not that hard to see which us the outlier.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowman For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-16-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Camargo in 3503 PAs over 8 seasons: .284/.338/.382/.720

Camargo in the majors, 504 PAs, 2017 and 2019 combined: .266/.305/.419/.724

Camargo in 2018: .272/.349/.457/.806

It's really not that hard to see which us the outlier.
    The sample you threw out (2018, 524 PA) is larger than the one you used at MLB level

6. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-16-2020)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    The sample you threw out (2018, 524 PA) is larger than the one you used at MLB level
    524 is far larger than 504? Because it seems to me like it is only 20 PAs.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Maybe, maybe not... He was a virtually identical player LHH and RHH in 2018... 2017 was a small sample and his first experience as a big leaguer, and in 2019 he was awful all around.

But let's not forget when he went back to AAA last year, he lit it up and when called back up he was on fire for the rest of the season before going out with the injury.
    2018 numbers

321 BABIP against righties
    300 BABIP against lefties

87.6 exit velocity against righties
    88.9 exit velocity against lefties

2019 Exit Velocity
    85.8 against righties
    89.5 against lefties

While the end result numbers in 2018 were pretty similar I think it's clear he hits better against lefties and the 2018 numbers against righties were a little luck based

9. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-16-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Take a look at Camargo’s exit velocities from each side of the plate. It is clear he is not useful as a LHH. The Braves know this.

Edit: already done a few seconds before this post.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-16-2020)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Let's try to simplify that for you.

In 77.3% of his time as a professional, Camargo has been a .720 OPS minor league hitter.

In 11.1% of his time as a professional, Camargo has been a .724 OPS major league hitter.

In 11.6% of his time as a professional, Camargo has been an .806 OPS major league hitter.

Again, this isn't a difficult outlier to spot.

Edit: I was typing this as wupk and Encheff were posting, so I hadn't seen theirs as I typed it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowman For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-16-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    524 is far larger than 504? Because it seems to me like it is only 20 PAs.
    Who used the word "far"?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I think it’s pretty clear the Braves need to add a LHH 3b like Holt. The need is great enough that it may be worth cutting costs in the OF or BP to make it happen.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-16-2020)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Take a look at Camargo’s exit velocities from each side of the plate. It is clear he is not useful as a LHH. The Braves know this.

Edit: already done a few seconds before this post.
    The troubling thing to me is that the Braves aren't behaving like they know this. They signed guys like Hech and Solarte, but I don't think either of them adequately fills that LHH 3rd base hole that we need filled. The only remaining FA who comfortably fills that slot is Holt and we haven't heard any substantial rumors regarding him either.

The further along ST goes, the more concerned I get that the front office is content with Camargo manning 3rd base, at least for the first half of the season. Maybe they think he's made some strides this offseason and are willing to give him a shot. And if he fails they will address 3rd through a midseason trade.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-16-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Let's try to simplify that for you.

In 77.3% of his time as a professional, Camargo has been a .720 OPS minor league hitter.

In 11.1% of his time as a professional, Camargo has been a .724 OPS major league hitter.

In 11.6% of his time as a professional, Camargo has been an .806 OPS major league hitter.

Again, this isn't a difficult outlier to spot.

Edit: I was typing this as wupk and Encheff were posting, so I hadn't seen theirs as I typed it.
    I never stated that 2018 wasn't an outlier. I just don't know if I'd say Camargo is "not useful" as a LHH at this point. I'd say the jury is out. Certainly he's better as a RHH, but I'm not convinced he's "not useful" as a LHH.

There's a chance that Camargo was a late bloomer type that ends up being better than his minor league stats suggest. And I don't put a lot of credence in his 2019 as he was never an every day player. I think he struggles when he's not getting consistent at bats. Its worth it to see if he is, in fact, a late bloomer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    2018 numbers

321 BABIP against righties
    300 BABIP against lefties

87.6 exit velocity against righties
    88.9 exit velocity against lefties

2019 Exit Velocity
    85.8 against righties
    89.5 against lefties

While the end result numbers in 2018 were pretty similar I think it's clear he hits better against lefties and the 2018 numbers against righties were a little luck based
    For sure he's a better hitter against lefties. Most hitters, especially switch hitters, have a better side. I was never trying to say it was equal, but those 2018 BABIP and exit velo numbers are really not a ton different. I'm not saying his 2018 is the real Camargo, I'm just saying he may not be as useless as a LHH as some are making him out to be. I am just arguing that we may not exactly know what we have in Camargo yet.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Over a decent chunk of 3 seasons Camargo has posted an above average xwOBA vs LHP, and a well below average xwOBA vs RHP. His exit velocities tell exactly the same story.

That’s 1000+ PAs over his age 23-25 seasons.

I think the Braves and everyone else paying attention knows what Camargo is by now...I’ve been stating as much for years. Luckily, a platoon 3b is something they should be able to pick up relatively cheaply.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Luckily, a platoon 3b is something they should be able to pick up relatively cheaply.
    I’m guessing we haven’t heard anything about Holt because (a) he’s a below-average defender everywhere, including 3B (which is less than ideal for the strong side of a platoon), along with (b) the fact that he’s reportedly holding out for a guaranteed MLB contract (at who knows what rate/length).

The question then becomes: who else is comparable and available? Because I agree: a platoon 3B is something they should be able to pick up relatively cheaply and easily. But the fact that they haven’t either means it’s not looking cheap/easy, or the FO indeed believes this idea that Camargo can be productive in a full-time role.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I’m guessing we haven’t heard anything about Holt because (a) he’s a below-average defender everywhere, including 3B (which is less than ideal for the strong side of a platoon), along with (b) the fact that he’s reportedly holding out for a guaranteed MLB contract (at who knows what rate/length).

The question then becomes: who else is comparable and available? Because I agree: a platoon 3B is something they should be able to pick up relatively cheaply and easily. But the fact that they haven’t either means it’s not looking cheap/easy, or the FO indeed believes this idea that Camargo can be productive in a full-time role.
    Or Riley

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Or Riley
    Reports indicate he’s likely slated for AAA, at least initially, and that seems like the best call to me.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

There will likely be someone similar to Holt available towards the end of ST. Maybe Lamb? Maybe Solarte shows he can be part of the solution? Maybe someone we haven’t thought of yet?

I imagine Plan B is to open with Camargo, give Riley a chance at some point, and then address 3b at the deadline if needed.

My guess is the guy playing 3b for the Braves during the most important stretch of the season (assuming they are contenders) isn’t yet in the organization.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-16-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    There will likely be someone similar to Holt available towards the end of ST. Maybe Lamb? Maybe Solarte shows he can be part of the solution? Maybe someone we haven’t thought of yet?

I imagine Plan B is to open with Camargo, give Riley a chance at some point, and then address 3b at the deadline if needed.

My guess is the guy playing 3b for the Braves during the most important stretch of the season (assuming they are contenders) isn’t yet in the organization.
    I agree with this.

I’ll also add that Camargo slimming down (therefore more mobile hopefully) means he can possibly fulfill the Duvall role of RH OF. I know “Camargo Super Sub” didn’t go so well last year, but I still have hopes he can excel in that role the next few years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Reports indicate he’s likely slated for AAA, at least initially, and that seems like the best call to me.
    Probably... never know how ST goes though. May not be camargo or Riley

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    I’ve got the fix, FF to 3B against righties and Neck at 1B. Allows Snit to still bat Neck cleanup!