Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring has Sprung

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Keith Law released his top-100 list today, and spoiler alert, it includes a REALLY highly-ranked Pache, NO Waters and Shewmake.

Braves prospects in Keith Law’s top 100:
    #5 - Cristian Pache OF
    #27 Ian Anderson, P
    #61 - Kyle Wright, P
    #65 - Bryse Wilson, P
    #75 - William Contreras, C
    #94 - Braden Shewmake SS

Drew Waters did not make his list...

I'll be the first to admit that we received a ton of love but is an awfully off-kilter list. Not including Waters, even at the back end of the list, is flat-out weird.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Keith Law released his top-100 list today, and spoiler alert, it includes a REALLY highly-ranked Pache, NO Waters and Shewmake.

#5 - Cristian Pache OF
    #27 Ian Anderson, P
    #61 - Kyle Wright, P
    #65 - Bryse Wilson, P
    #94 - Braden Shewmake SS

I'll be the first to admit that we received a ton of love but is an awfully off-kilter list. Not including Waters, even at the back end of the list, is flat-out weird.
    I personally think it was an accident. There's no way Law places Contreras and Shewmake ahead of Waters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I personally think it was an accident. There's no way Law places Contreras and Shewmake ahead of Waters.
    He is the guy who left Allard off of his list a few years back while everyone else was salivating over him, injuries and all.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    He is the guy who left Allard off of his list a few years back while everyone else was salivating over him, injuries and all.
    Waters was brought up in the comments of the Athletic article. I’m wondering if he’ll respond to the comments about him.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Skeeter31 For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (02-24-2020)

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Went to Cool Today Park yesterday for the game. Amazing atmosphere there. If anyone is thinking of making a trip down for a game, you won’t be disappointed. Only thing I can suggest is get there EARLY as the traffic was horrendous getting to the stadium. Took almost half an hour to get from I75 to the parking lot (and it’s only about a 6 mile drive). They had both sides of the road open to people heading into the stadium and it was still gridlock.

The stadium also needs to work on their queuing for food as there are a few bottlenecks in the outfield where it made it hard to wander around. The lines for food also took quite a while as the employees were a bit slow taking money and making food/drinks (but I’m thinking/hoping that improves with practice).

One little quirk I loved is that the Braves bullpen is completely covered and shaded while the visitors bullpen is in full on sun. Nice little home field advantage there lol.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Skeeter31 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (02-24-2020)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Not sure I completely agree with Law but I am closer to Law than other list on Waters. He needs to show a K rate less than hire done and a BABiP less than blessed. I would have traded waters if he could have been a headliner for a true impact player.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Not sure I completely agree with Law but I am closer to Law than other list on Waters. He needs to show a K rate less than hire done and a BABiP less than blessed. I would have traded waters if he could have been a headliner for a true impact player.
    I am not near as big on Waters as most either, but he's easily a top 50 prospect

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    I am not near as big on Waters as most either, but he's easily a top 50 prospect
    This is where I am. I prefer Pache by a lot but Waters has the tools to be really damn good and super impactful.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Acuna watched a ball one time, so he's going to flop, do steroids, and become a convicted felon.
    Riley thrown in as an example of why Acuña isn't a sure bet was pretty special.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

Carp (02-24-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts

#5 - Cristian Pache OF
    #27 Ian Anderson, P
    #61 - Kyle Wright, P
    #65 - Bryse Wilson, P
    #94 - Braden Shewmake SS

having Kiriloff top 10 is weird. FG has him in the 60s i think because he looks like he'll be moving to 1B sooner rather than later.
    i get not being big on Waters (i'm not) but not a top 100 prospect? smh. just one of those hills Keith wants to die on.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,286 Posts
    I quite enjoy prospect lists that represent a diversity of thought and process. I love that Fangraphs posts the standard top 100 and the ZiPs Top 100.

The issue I have with Law is he’s a contrarian, and a well read one at that. Contrarians have this tendency to take extreme opinions to counter incorrect mainstream opinion, but what that usually means is they are instead opining on opinion itself which isn’t all that interesting.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

Snowman (02-25-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    I'm actually higher on Waters than Pache at the moment, though I certainly understand Pache is the much safer prospect and has a higher ceiling. But I just see Waters as being much more advanced as a hitter. He should consistently carry a high BABIP (though not in the .400 range) and the news regarding his exit velocity being among the highest in the minors has me very encouraged as well.
    Last edited by Carp; 02-24-2020 at 10:58 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    But I just see Waters as being much more advanced as a hitter.
    how so? Pache had easily the better k/bb and displayed more power as well. i think Waters has insane tools but is pretty far from polished as a hitter. he isn't really tapping into his power at all.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    how so? Pache had easily the better k/bb and displayed more power as well. i think Waters has insane tools but is pretty far from polished as a hitter. he isn't really tapping into his power at all.
    Agreed... I don't get this "Waters is such an advanced hitter" narrative... its all based on batting average which is buoyed by an insane BABIP. His k-rate is awful... he swings at everything. Sure he makes contact with balls that many shouldn't be able to hit, but he also simply shouldn't be swinging at most of them period. Pache continues to maintain and even slightly decrease his decent k-rate and his bb-rate has been respectable. To me Pache is more polished and has the higher ceiling. I like Waters but there's a ton of fools gold in his stat line.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acuña’s Bat Flip View Post

Ok Boomer

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

Super (02-24-2020), UNCBlue012 (02-25-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Agreed... I don't get this "Waters is such an advanced hitter" narrative... its all based on batting average which is buoyed by an insane BABIP. His k-rate is awful... he swings at everything. Sure he makes contact with balls that many shouldn't be able to hit, but he also simply shouldn't be swinging at most of them period. Pache continues to maintain and even slightly decrease his decent k-rate and his bb-rate has been respectable. To me Pache is more polished and has the higher ceiling. I like Waters but there's a ton of fools gold in his stat line.
    yeah and like i said, for all that striking out and high exit velo, he's not hitting for much power. the potential is there but polished? not even close.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acuña’s Bat Flip View Post
    Too often people think their way of doing something is the correct way to doing that thing and all other ways are wrong. This goes for more than just baseball. Once you realize different people operate differently and might reach a result by a different process, you're better off.

Aaron treated it as a job and was a professional. Chipper was similar. But it's entirely possible that if Acuna took the same approach he'd be worse. It's possible that taking that approach would rob the game of its fun for him and lead him to burn out or erode his dedication to his craft.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-24-2020)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    Went to Cool Today Park yesterday for the game. Amazing atmosphere there. If anyone is thinking of making a trip down for a game, you won’t be disappointed. Only thing I can suggest is get there EARLY as the traffic was horrendous getting to the stadium. Took almost half an hour to get from I75 to the parking lot (and it’s only about a 6 mile drive). They had both sides of the road open to people heading into the stadium and it was still gridlock.

The stadium also needs to work on their queuing for food as there are a few bottlenecks in the outfield where it made it hard to wander around. The lines for food also took quite a while as the employees were a bit slow taking money and making food/drinks (but I’m thinking/hoping that improves with practice).

One little quirk I loved is that the Braves bullpen is completely covered and shaded while the visitors bullpen is in full on sun. Nice little home field advantage there lol.
    They really are trying to simulate Atlanta and get the players ready for the regular season.
    Forever Fredi

25. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Snowman (02-25-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,698 Posts
    Nice to see waters and pache with back-to-back singles

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-24-2020), UNCBlue012 (02-25-2020)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Nice to see waters and pache with back-to-back singles
    They are mad at law and his rankings.
    Coppy