Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Wrong. Completely and utterly wrong.

A FV 80 PROSPECT IS NOT AN 80 GRADE HITTER

Until this misunderstanding is cleared up there is no point in discussing the topic further.
    One point I do think should be addressed is the fact that you laid out the 120+ million dollar = 80 FV framework while the article you linked didn't state that and put a 112 million dollar figure for a 70 FV hitting prospect. Are you suggesting that the value delta between the worst possible 80 FV and the best possible 70 FV prospect is only 8 million dollars?

This is one of your points that is a little confusing to me. The other is the distinction you make between an 80 grade prospect and an 80 grade major leaguer. I understand that a prospect comes with additional risk that a major leaguer doesn't, but if the distinction is meaningful then what exactly does an 80 FV prospect represent? Is an 80 grade major leaguer a player in the 99.7th percentile of the league while an 80 grade prospect is a 99.7th percentile player in the minor leagues? If so, does that mean that, by definition, at least a few 80 grade prospects have to exist every year?

I'm seriously asking, because I think both you and Metaphysicist bring up some valid, yet contradictory, points.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-13-2020)