Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modernizing The MLB

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts

Modernizing The MLB

Trevor Bauer just put out a video that was highly critical of Rob Manfred and everything he has done as commissioner. He brings up a lot of points, but one of the ones that got me thinking was how the MLB has utterly failed to reach young audiences. There are several reasons for this, but I think one of the biggest ones is the lack of individual marketing and the strict rules the MLB sometimes places on player individuality. I think the time has come for the MLB to take a more modern approach that will appeal to younger fans in order to grow the sport. If they don't, the outlook is pretty bleak in the long run imo. The biggest area that I think the MLB needs to improve is in their social media engagement, which has been nothing short of dismal. So in order to get the MLB to market more to young fans, I think the MLB should make the following changes.

Uniform/Equipment customization
    -Allow and encourage players to wear customized cleats
    -Allow and encourage players to use customizable bat skins
    -Allow and encourage position players to use customizable gloves (not for pitchers, for obvious reasons)
    -Start a league-wide initiative to encourage teams to have more alternate uniforms, some of which may be more modernized and flamboyant

Player Behavior
    -Encourage players to celebrate their accomplishments more and heavily discourage the enforcement of "unwritten rules"
    -To counter the potential consequences, implement an escalating suspension system for players/managers who retaliate by throwing at batters intentionally
    -Put a bigger emphasis on the fun that players like Acuna/Ozzie seem to have in the dugout

Social Media Initiative
    -Dismantle any restrictions that make it harder for MLB focused YT channels like Jomboy from thriving.
    -Put an increased focus on social media visability including: More highlight reels, player interviews, memes, etc.
    -More transparency with league news/rumors/speculation
    -Encourage more player-individual marketing through avenues like twitter, YT, and Twitch; perhaps entering a partnership with these sites that would provide more of a financial incentive for players to get involved.
    -Just a general increase in fan engagement

A lot of you guys may think that some of these changes are silly or too radical, but baseball has a real problem attracting young people right now. Young people like fun and things like customizable uniform options, celebrations, and youtube are fun. And in my opinion, changes like this are far more important and far less stupid than increasing the playoffs to 7 teams, trying to do everything you can to get sub-3 hour games, pushing the mound back, etc. Instead of trying to literally change the nature of the game to draw in young people, take the game as it exists and make it more fun. Take out all the things that are decidedly anti-fun, particularly the "unwritten rules".

So what say you? Agree, disagree?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

Carp (02-13-2020)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Baseball is hard to gamble on. That is it’s biggest disadvantage.
    Coppy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Carp (02-13-2020)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Baseball is hard to gamble on. That is it’s biggest disadvantage.
    Baseball does fine with the demographic that is usually in the gambling sphere. That 10-24 age range is where baseball is really struggling, and that is the demographic that these changes would mostly be targeted at.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

Carp (02-13-2020)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Baseball does fine with the demographic that is usually in the gambling sphere. That 10-24 age range is where baseball is really struggling, and that is the demographic that these changes would mostly be targeted at.
    Um my 11 year old daughter hates to gamble on baseball. Doesn’t like money line bets. So sorry you are wrong.
    Coppy

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Carp (02-13-2020), CyYoung31 (02-12-2020), jpx7 (02-12-2020), Snowman (02-12-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    I agree with everything but the player behavior and retaliating part. I'm not necessarily against celebrating behaviors. I think bat flips and a little celebration is fine, but certainly some guys cross the line. I'm also fine with retaliation since there is generally a fine/suspension tacked on anyways, so pitchers know that going in already. In general, I don't find bench clearings to be negative for baseball. The Puig/Amir Garrett fight this year was extremely entertaining.

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Um my 11 year old daughter hates to gamble on baseball. Doesn’t like money line bets. So sorry you are wrong.
    This does not mean he is wrong. One anecdote does not prove a theory.

One of the major reasons baseball became so popular in the early 20th century was the gambling.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    blink
    blink
    blink
    *makes hand motion of something flying over one's head unseen*

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowman For This Useful Post:

Carp (02-13-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Trevor Bauer just put out a video that was highly critical of Rob Manfred and everything he has done as commissioner. He brings up a lot of points, but one of the ones that got me thinking was how the MLB has utterly failed to reach young audiences. There are several reasons for this, but I think one of the biggest ones is the lack of individual marketing and the strict rules the MLB sometimes places on player individuality. I think the time has come for the MLB to take a more modern approach that will appeal to younger fans in order to grow the sport. If they don't, the outlook is pretty bleak in the long run imo. The biggest area that I think the MLB needs to improve is in their social media engagement, which has been nothing short of dismal. So in order to get the MLB to market more to young fans, I think the MLB should make the following changes.

-Allow and encourage position players to use customizable gloves (not for pitchers, for obvious reasons)
    -Start a league-wide initiative to encourage teams to have more alternate uniforms, some of which may be more modernized and flamboyant

Player Behavior
    -Encourage players to celebrate their accomplishments more and heavily discourage the enforcement of "unwritten rules"
    -To counter the potential consequences, implement an escalating suspension system for players/managers who retaliate by throwing at batters intentionally
    -Put a bigger emphasis on the fun that players like Acuna/Ozzie seem to have in the dugout

Social Media Initiative
    -Dismantle any restrictions that make it harder for MLB focused YT channels like Jomboy from thriving.
    -Put an increased focus on social media visability including: More highlight reels, player interviews, memes, etc.
    -Encourage more player-individual marketing through avenues like twitter, YT, and Twitch; perhaps entering a partnership with these sites that would provide more of a financial incentive for players to get involved.

A lot of you guys may think that some of these changes are silly or too radical, but baseball has a real problem attracting young people right now. Young people like fun and things like customizable uniform options, celebrations, and youtube are fun. And in my opinion, changes like this are far more important and far less stupid than increasing the playoffs to 7 teams, trying to do everything you can to get sub-3 hour games, pushing the mound back, etc. Instead of trying to literally change the nature of the game to draw in young people, take the game as it exists and make it more fun. Take out all the things that are decidedly anti-fun, particularly the "unwritten rules".

Agree with all of this.

Make Baseball Great Again!

And please for the love of God: do something to help the young kids who can't afford travel ball. This sport would already be golf if we didn't have the annual influx of Latin American talent.

And please don't destroy the minor leagues. Good grief.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ24 View Post
    This does not mean he is wrong. One anecdote does not prove a theory.

One of the major reasons baseball became so popular in the early 20th century was the gambling.
    Here's another one for you: My 2-year old gay son, who is a gambling addict, also doesn't gamble on baseball.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

Carp (02-13-2020)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    I just don't get the idea that a bunch of kids are suddenly going to start running to the park because there are flashier clothes and accessories. At all.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowman For This Useful Post:

Carp (02-13-2020)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Here's another one for you: My 2-year old gay son, who is a gambling addict, also doesn't gamble on baseball.
    My blind, non-binary, autistic child with terminal rabies also chooses not to bet on baseball. Xe's more into betting on international tap dancing competitions. Xe lost a buttload when Tija Tkalcevic edged out Elisa Fabriziani at the 2018 IDO World Championships in the Adult female solo category. Stupid Tija and her cramp roll into a paradiddle cost my child all of xyr's hormone money.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

Carp (02-13-2020)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    I just don't get the idea that a bunch of kids are suddenly going to start running to the park because there are flashier clothes and accessories. At all.
    That's not necessarily what the goal is. The goal is to increase the interest in the sport among that demographic. A tangential benefit of that should be more people in that age group wanting to be involved in the sport, but the main focus should be to make it more fun for kids to watch and talk about with their friends. Being a child in a 29 year old's body probably gives me a unique perspective on this. But like it or not, kids enjoy cool uniforms. They enjoy customizable equipment. They enjoy and talk about big celebrations (ala Joey Bautista a few years ago). They prefer to engage with sports through Youtube and social media rather than the traditional TV model. They enjoy big personalities. They enjoy memes. They enjoy off the field drama, feuds, and personal rivalries (look at the current state of the NBA).

All of those are things that the MLB has historically frowned upon or actively legislated against. I'm not saying that they have to implement every single one of these ideas immediately, but they need to start taking some steps to engage in these ways. The inner city baseball initiative is great and all, but other than that the MLB has been garbage at marketing to kids and making their product "cool".

21. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

Carp (02-13-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts

Player Behavior

Social Media Initiative

Encourage goofiness and stupid self-promotion? No, no and no.

Baseball popularity is fine. Not everybody has to like it. Less money in the game wouldn't be such a bad thing.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Encourage goofiness and stupid self-promotion? No, no and no.

Baseball popularity is fine. Not everybody has to like it. Less money in the game wouldn't be such a bad thing.
    Get off my lawn!

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    There is a point to be made here. Think about the best player in baseball. He might be somewhere in the 40's in a rank of the most popular athletes. And this isn't some great for the era type guy - he's perhaps the best OF that's ever played. And he's plays in LA - not exactly some small market.

The NFL doesn't have this problem - they have found a way to market their stars no matter where they play. I think one of the problems is that baseball is still too colloquial - meaning that teams concentrate in their local areas when it comes to marketing. MLB should do a better job nationally.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Nerfherders For This Useful Post:

Carp (02-13-2020)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherders View Post
    There is a point to be made here. Think about the best player in baseball. He might be somewhere in the 40's in a rank of the most popular athletes. And this isn't some great for the era type guy - he's perhaps the best OF that's ever played. And he's plays in LA - not exactly some small market.

The NFL doesn't have this problem - they have found a way to market their stars no matter where they play. I think one of the problems is that baseball is still too colloquial - meaning that teams concentrate in their local areas when it comes to marketing. MLB should do a better job nationally.
    How many household names does any sport have outside of its fanbase, though? The NBA, I know there's Lebron. NFL, Brady, Kaeperknick, and the guy who killed dogs. I can't name a single soccer or hockey player.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    In fact, now that I think about it, the NBA would be a much better choice to emulate than the NFL. They've marketed the hell out of guys like Jordan, Kobe, Shaq, and Lebron over the years, to the point that even someone who hasn't watched a game of basketball in 40 years knows them by a single name. The NFL, the only guys I know are guys who had controversy that got them into the news. A cheater, a kneeler, a dog killer, that one who murdered someone in a driveway, that one who shot himself in the leg in a nightclub....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Yeah, the only players the NFL markets are the QBs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    How about a rule change where one pitch per at bat the hitter gets to make use of electronic technology to find out what the pitch will be. We can call it the Designated Pitch.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

30. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (02-13-2020)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    We can argue whether or not NFL players are better marketed. I will maintain they are. Saturday Night Live just had a defensive end host the show. If that's not exposing your players to the masses, I don't know what is. It also doesn't hurt that the Super Bowl is the most watched TV program of the year, every year, and just made Patrick Mahomes a household name.