It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    Good choice on AA.

Ugh... on Snit.
    i don't view this as a big commitment to Snit.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    I don't get the Snit hate. The Braves have overachieved his entire time as manager, the players love and respect him, and there have been basically zero clubhouse issues during his tenure. He's not great at lineup construction and some of his pen decisions are a little head scratching, but on the whole he's been successful.

Ultimately I think too much emphasis is put on the in game decisions as that's all we can see. 90% or more of what a manager does is off the field. You can be the best bench strategist in the world and your team will underachieve if you struggle managing human beings. I don't care what business you're in, if you have someone bad at managing people it will impact the productivity of their subordinates.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

FreemanFan (02-20-2020), JohnAdcox (02-17-2020), jpx7 (02-17-2020), Runnin (02-17-2020), VirginiaBrave (02-17-2020)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I don't get the Snit hate. The Braves have overachieved his entire time as manager, the players love and respect him, and there have been basically zero clubhouse issues during his tenure. He's not great at lineup construction and some of his pen decisions are a little head scratching, but on the whole he's been successful.

Ultimately I think too much emphasis is put on the in game decisions as that's all we can see. 90% or more of what a manager does is off the field. You can be the best bench strategist in the world and your team will underachieve if you struggle managing human beings. I don't care what business you're in, if you have someone bad at managing people it will impact the productivity of their subordinates.
    It's things like him saying he won't move Acuna out of leadoff after he slumped for a few games last year as to what's troubling.

Bobby was a players manager too but he forced guys to sit and rest.

Snit doesn't do that and he shows too much loyalty, like playing and starting Ozzie and Freddie both for 152 games until we clinched... or starting an old player with an injury history in Donaldson everyday from mid may til post clinch.

Bobby only ever let Andruw play everyday. The rest he forced them to take days off.
    Forever Fredi

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Garmel (02-17-2020), jpx7 (02-17-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Didn't Bobby bat Damaso Garcia leadoff for a whole season.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    It's things like him saying he won't move Acuna out of leadoff after he slumped for a few games last year as to what's troubling.

Snit doesn't do that and he shows too much loyalty, like playing and starting Ozzie and Freddie both for 152 games until we clinched... or starting an old player with an injury history in Donaldson everyday from mid may til post clinch.

Bobby only ever let Andruw play everyday. The rest he forced them to take days off.
    No doubt he isn't perfect and there are things I'd do differently. However, the team has consistently overachieved with him at the helm. Results have exceeded expectations. You have to extend a guy when a team is doing that.

AA deserves the extension. So far he's managed to make a ton of smart decisions and has restrained himself from making the massive, high risk trades he's made in the past. He's had his missteps but he's generally been able to recognize when he's made a mistake and fix it (e.g. bullpen last year).

We've come a long way from the days of Hart/Coppy and Freddi Gonzalez.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-17-2020)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts

Or starting McCann every post season games. It was clear he was gassed and flo should have split games with him regardless of splits.
    Coppy

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-17-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Didn't Bobby bat Damaso Garcia leadoff for a whole season.
    Who?

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Or starting McCann every post season games. It was clear he was gassed and flo should have split games with him regardless of splits.
    Yeah. Mac had very little bat speed left at the end of the season let alone NLDS.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Who?
    https://www.fangraphs.com/players/da...ts?position=2B

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Yeah. Mac had very little bat speed left at the end of the season let alone NLDS.
    sometimes it is possible to have too much veteran laidership and clutchness

"I am your retribution."

18. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-17-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Not really sure keeping Snitker is that bad at this point. If/when Pache and Waters get promoted you have two more options to potentially hit at the top, meaning it becomes relatively simple to make him understand that it's time to move Acuna into a lower spot in the order - even behind Freddie in the event Riley doesn't take the step forward everyone hopes. You're younger without Markakis and at Catcher than before, so it will presumably be a bit tougher to wear people out as badly. The pen will be relatively mapped out with Smith assuming the Closer role full-time and Martin setting him up, and Newk's role will be clear by that point.

Most of the roster will be laid out without decisions to be made, and any trades or signings AA makes next winter will have obvious roles (TOR SP, 3B, veteran pen pieces) - his in-game moves will still be questioned, but that's the case for every Manager in the game whether he's old-school or not.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    589 Posts
    The Snit extension is no big deal. Just means they aren’t gonna have him be a lame duck manager. The big news is the AA promotion and extension.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Slippyjms For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-17-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Snits strategic blunders in the playoffs against teams that are more talented than the Braves have been, and will continue to be, an additional hurdle the Braves will have to overcome to win a championship.

The Braves are at the point where they need to focus on winning and using every possible advantage to do so...Snit is not the guy to do that.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Snowman (02-18-2020)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Snits strategic blunders in the playoffs against teams that are more talented than the Braves have been, and will continue to be, an additional hurdle the Braves will have to overcome to win a championship.

The Braves are at the point where they need to focus on winning and using every possible advantage to do so...Snit is not the guy to do that.
    Not sure i'd blame Snit for the loss vs Stl. Once Martin went down, everything went to ****. Had to use Fried out of the pen. He had everything lined up for Game 1. DK for 5, then Greene/Martin/MM/Luke in some order. I'm not the biggest Snit fan but i cant really say it was his fault for the Cards loss. Lot more had to do with that than him imo. I do think eventually AA will want a more analytical manager to go with him though.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    589 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Not sure i'd blame Snit for the loss vs Stl. Once Martin went down, everything went to ****. Had to use Fried out of the pen. He had everything lined up for Game 1. DK for 5, then Greene/Martin/MM/Luke in some order. I'm not the biggest Snit fan but i cant really say it was his fault for the Cards loss. Lot more had to do with that than him imo. I do think eventually AA will want a more analytical manager to go with him though.
    I find that line of thinking so ridiculous. Snit loses 1 middle reliever during the first game of a playoff series against an inferior team and now he can’t be blamed for the loss?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    I find that line of thinking so ridiculous. Snit loses 1 middle reliever during the first game of a playoff series against an inferior team and now he can’t be blamed for the loss?
    The majority of the blame for our loss to the Cards was our 3-4-5 hitters.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    The majority of the blame for our loss to the Cards was our 3-4-5 hitters.
    Braves Country on their Facebook thinks we lost because Acuna admired that long single.
    Forever Fredi

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Braves Country on their Facebook thinks we lost because Acuna admired that long single.
    Okay