Page 142 of 1481 FirstFirst ... 42921321401411421431441521922426421142 ... LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,840 of 29602

Thread: The Coronavirus, not the beer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    501 deaths in New Jersey the past two days.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Chaos, Arrogance, and Missed Opportunities in New York's Early Response

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/08/n...gtype=Homepage

A 39-year-old woman took Flight 701 from Doha, Qatar, to John F. Kennedy International Airport in late February, the final leg of her trip home to New York City from Iran.

A week later, on March 1, she tested positive for the coronavirus, the first confirmed case in New York City of an outbreak that had already devastated China and parts of Europe. The next day, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo, appearing with Mayor Bill de Blasio at a news conference, promised that health investigators would track down every person on the woman’s flight. But no one did.

A day later, a lawyer from New Rochelle, a New York City suburb, tested positive for the virus — an alarming sign because he had not traveled to any affected country, suggesting community spread was already taking place.

Although city investigators had traced the lawyer’s whereabouts and connections to the most crowded corridors of Manhattan, the state’s efforts focused on the suburb, not the city, and Mr. de Blasio urged the public not to worry. “We’ll tell you the second we think you should change your behavior,” the mayor said on March 5.

“Flu was coming down, and then you saw this new ominous spike. And it was Covid. And it was spreading widely in New York City before anyone knew it,” said Dr. Thomas R. Frieden, the former head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and former commissioner of the city’s Health Department. “You have to move really fast. Hours and days. Not weeks. Once it gets a head of steam, there is no way to stop it.”

Dr. Frieden said that if the state and city had adopted widespread social-distancing measures a week or two earlier, including closing schools, stores and restaurants, then the estimated death toll from the outbreak might have been reduced by 50 to 80 percent.

“New York City as a whole was late in social measures,” said Isaac B. Weisfuse, a former New York City deputy health commissioner. “Any after-action review of the pandemic in New York City will focus on that issue. It has become the major issue in the transmission of the virus.”

Mr. Cuomo has been praised for his informative daily news conferences, where he not only focuses on the facts of the pandemic but also seeks to rally the public’s support for efforts to curb the spread. Mr. de Blasio has also made outreach a priority.

Still, Mr. Cuomo has at times acknowledged the difficulties in fighting the outbreak.

“I am tired of being behind this virus,” he said on March 31. “We’ve been playing catch-up. You don’t win playing catch-up.”

Bruce Farber, the chief of infectious diseases for two hospitals within Northwell Health, the largest hospital system in New York, said that by late January, it was apparent that cases would soon begin appearing in the United States. He said he and his colleagues realized, as they reviewed the strictly limited federal testing criteria during a Feb. 7 meeting, that many infected people would not be identified.

Only those with a fever severe enough to require hospitalization and who had traveled to China in the previous 14 days could get tested, Dr. Farber told them, reading from the C.D.C. guidelines.

“It was that moment that I think everybody in the room realized, we’re dead,” Dr. Farber said.

New York City, at the start of the outbreak, relied on 50 disease detectives to trace the rapidly rising cases of unconnected infected people, city officials said.

By comparison, in Wuhan, China, where the pandemic began, more than 9,000 such workers were deployed. New York City added to its original 50 only after the outbreak began to accelerate.

Because of the limits on testing, said the mayor’s press secretary, Freddi Goldstein, “all the detectives in the world would have been useless.”

While only about 100 cases of the coronavirus had been confirmed in the whole state, the city’s surveillance system was, by the end of the first week in March, signaling a spike in influenza-like illnesses at emergency rooms. A few days later, the number of police officers calling out sick jumped noticeably, as did calls to 911 for fever and cough.

“This is an enemy that we have underestimated from Day 1,” Mr. Cuomo said on Monday. “And we have paid the price dearly.”
    Last edited by nsacpi; 04-08-2020 at 01:35 PM.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    So if the virus was out of control in late November then it was in China in October and maybe sooner.

Therefore, the original seed infection from China was early Q4
    I wonder what the two of these in combination means....

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Lol
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    something something -------- when (D) hears an adversary is sick and/or dying they root/cheer for a painful death

Monica Lewinsky
    @MonicaLewinsky
    ·
    3h
    no matter the past, upon hearing that linda tripp is very seriously ill,

i hope for her recovery. i can’t imagine how difficult this is for her family.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    I am not a democrat but I personally have no sympathy when bad things happen to bad people like Biden, Trump, Clinton, Sessions, McCain, the NYPD , etc. You can think that makes me a bad person but these people want to take my freedom from me and put me in a cage. I treat people like they treat me.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    We need to strangle the CCP. They killed tens of thousands of people and crashed the global economy. They cannot be allowed to remain in power.

There is no way that happens with a war. We kill them economical and let their people create a new system hopefully one that is based on British common law.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

Runnin (04-08-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

"I am your retribution."

13. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Runnin (04-08-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    I would be all aboard ending relationship with China. Main problem I see with that is it will lead to a closer alliance between Russia/China. I think if we did end it with China war would be inevitable. Maybe 20 years from now but having a strong dependence on each other economically severly lowers the chance of war between us.

It’s over."

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    910 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I would be all aboard ending relationship with China. Main problem I see with that is it will lead to a closer alliance between Russia/China. I think if we did end it with China war would be inevitable. Maybe 20 years from now but having a strong dependence on each other economically severly lowers the chance of war between us.
    Not to mention it would also make hundreds of millions of USA and Chinese citizens worse off...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    Not to mention it would also make hundreds of millions of USA and Chinese citizens worse off...
    how inconvenient

"I am your retribution."

17. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (04-08-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    How much worse could it get for a people that had their leaders sacrifice them because they couldn't manage an epidemic?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Curious how you feel about the federal government seizing the state's supplies? I am seeing reports they are taking their orders and even ones donated to hospitals.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    How do we get the CCP out of power if we dont end trade with them?

Should we just tolerate them?

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    How do we get the CCP out of power if we dont end trade with them?

Should we just tolerate them?
    If Trump was hesitant to shut down the economy over corona, what makes you think he would end trade with the ccp and hurt the economy probably 5x as bad.
    Forever Fredi

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    The corona tests Obama left Trump with were obsolete.

Like Trump said. Obama should have known about COVID 19 in 2016.
    Forever Fredi