Page 159 of 1481 FirstFirst ... 591091491571581591601611692092596591159 ... LastLast
Results 3,161 to 3,180 of 29602

Thread: The Coronavirus, not the beer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    Maybe read the next sentence.

This is incomprehensible. But color me "not shocked" that even in the face of straightforward data your opinion is unchanged.
    The recent data points from Chicago and Germany. But I'm happy you are holding this study from late february with more weight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Public health experts say that among the keys to returning to normalcy are nationwide virus testing (to determine who has the virus); serological testing (to allow those who have been exposed to the virus and developed immunity to return to work); and contact tracing (quickly tracking all the contacts of an infected individual, to halt further spread). Two task force officials said that more important even than nationwide testing is surveillance — using data to make informed decisions about public health.

But the administration has not fully grappled with the sheer manpower and resources required for an effort like contact tracing — and right now, there are not even enough coronavirus tests for those who need them, let alone the entire country.

Jack Chow, a former U.S. ambassador for global HIV/AIDS during the George W. Bush administration and former World Health Organization assistant director-general, said the problem is that the administration has yet to decide what the national recovery should look like.

“The whole response has been lagging the curve of the epidemic, and what ought to be happening is the designation of key strategic goals, key accomplishments that can happen within a specified timeline,” Chow said. “It sounds like they’re groping for that. There isn’t any clear direction as to what the strategic goals are in each different line of effort, and what the prospective timeline could be given the assets they have to deploy.”

This portrait of the White House three months into the coronavirus crisis is the result of interviews with 22 senior administration officials, lawmakers, public health officials and other Republicans in frequent touch with the White House, many of whom spoke on the condition of anonymity to be candid.

One of the biggest obstacles to the virus response is Trump himself. Even the most dutiful plans and projects often get caught up in the chaos of this White House. Advisers spend significant time trying to manage the president and his whims — from successfully dissuading him from seeking to reopen the country at Easter to tempering his impulse to push unproven drugs as miracle elixirs.

“Everything they’re doing is responding to something that’s already happened,” said the official, who stays in touch with administration officials. “Coordination from this White House has never been a particular strong suit.”

The Situation Room seating chart — sent out every morning by Short in a PowerPoint — has become one of the task force’s hottest documents.

Aides parse the power map for signs of who is up, who is down, and who is likely to speak during the news conference that evening, with those closest to Pence having the best odds. Birx is almost always on Pence’s right while other, less senior aides are along the back wall or in an overflow room.

One senior administration official described it as a “little reality show drama. Every day we wait for the email. It’s like ‘Game of Thrones.’ ”

Administration officials say the virus response has improved under Pence. The meetings are more organized and the vice president’s press team is responsive. Pence also engenders goodwill from many of his colleagues, unlike Alex Azar, the Health and Human Services secretary whose previous role in leading the meetings had caused discord, administration officials say.

During one task force meeting in the Situation Room last month, Trump turned to Fauci and challenged him.

It was the day the administration was adding Ireland and the United Kingdom to its travel restrictions, and Trump wanted to understand why talk of “herd immunity” — allowing the coronavirus to sweep a nation largely unchecked, with the belief that those who survived would then be immune — was such a bad idea.

“Why don’t we let this wash over the country?” Trump asked, according to two people familiar with his comments, a question other administration officials say he has raised repeatedly in the Oval Office.

Fauci initially seemed confused by the term “wash over” but became alarmed once he understood what Trump was asking.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...094_story.html
    Last edited by nsacpi; 04-11-2020 at 05:27 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Public health experts say that among the keys to returning to normalcy are nationwide virus testing (to determine who has the virus); serological testing (to allow those who have been exposed to the virus and developed immunity to return to work); and contact tracing (quickly tracking all the contacts of an infected individual, to halt further spread). Two task force officials said that more important even than nationwide testing is surveillance — using data to make informed decisions about public health.

But the administration has not fully grappled with the sheer manpower and resources required for an effort like contact tracing — and right now, there are not even enough coronavirus tests for those who need them, let alone the entire country.

Jack Chow, a former U.S. ambassador for global HIV/AIDS during the George W. Bush administration and former World Health Organization assistant director-general, said the problem is that the administration has yet to decide what the national recovery should look like.

“The whole response has been lagging the curve of the epidemic, and what ought to be happening is the designation of key strategic goals, key accomplishments that can happen within a specified timeline,” Chow said. “It sounds like they’re groping for that. There isn’t any clear direction as to what the strategic goals are in each different line of effort, and what the prospective timeline could be given the assets they have to deploy.”

This portrait of the White House three months into the coronavirus crisis is the result of interviews with 22 senior administration officials, lawmakers, public health officials and other Republicans in frequent touch with the White House, many of whom spoke on the condition of anonymity to be candid.

One of the biggest obstacles to the virus response is Trump himself. Even the most dutiful plans and projects often get caught up in the chaos of this White House. Advisers spend significant time trying to manage the president and his whims — from successfully dissuading him from seeking to reopen the country at Easter to tempering his impulse to push unproven drugs as miracle elixirs.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...094_story.html
    It's still not clear to me what the end game is here.

Me self-imprisoning myself is not making me immune.

So we either have to:

1. Have a vaccine (12-18 months away)

2. Let people go back to work but have to get tested like, every day?

3. Let the virus run its course

1 is impossible. I hate the idea of 2. So I vote for 3.

The risk of this thing isn't going away magically in 2 months. So what do the doom and gloomers want to do?

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    The recent data points from Chicago and Germany. But I'm happy you are holding this study from late february with more weight.
    The German study has nothing to do with the "we've all had it for months" theory. Don't even know what Chicago thing you are talking about it, but at this point I assume it is some limited something or other from which you are drawing wildly inappropriate conclusions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    The German study has nothing to do with the "we've all had it for months" theory. Don't even know what Chicago thing you are talking about it, but at this point I assume it is some limited something or other from which you are drawing wildly inappropriate conclusions.
    https://chicagocitywire.com/stories/...Nlikp0.twitter

Here you go

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    So I was right. This also has nothing to do with the "we've had it for months" theory.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    So I was right. This also has nothing to do with the "we've had it for months" theory.
    Yes it does. That level of infection indicates original seed from at least 4 more than prior.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    wildly inappropriate conclusions.
    As I said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    It's still not clear to me what the end game is here.

Me self-imprisoning myself is not making me immune.

So we either have to:

1. Have a vaccine (12-18 months away)

2. Let people go back to work but have to get tested like, every day?

3. Let the virus run its course

1 is impossible. I hate the idea of 2. So I vote for 3.

The risk of this thing isn't going away magically in 2 months. So what do the doom and gloomers want to do?
    4) Have a plan for re-opening. TTQ. Test. Trace. Quarantine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    You enjoy taking a study from late February as opposed to a data point from the past 10 days which shows potentially 40% infection rate.

Whatever makes you hold on to that last hope that you were right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    4) Have a plan for re-opening. TTQ. Test. Trace. Quarantine.
    That sounds like #2 to me.

Me passing a test on Monday doesnt mean I dont have it on Wednesday.

But I'm sure we can find a way to have a draconian dystopia to get your wish

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    This is all cajun will need to see

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (04-11-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    That sounds like #2 to me.

Me passing a test on Monday doesnt mean I dont have it on Wednesday.

But I'm sure we can find a way to have a draconian dystopia to get your wish
    The CCP virus is so contagious that trace testing may be irrelevant.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    You havent seen the evidence of antibodies present in a larger percentage of the population than previously thought.

Stay current and stop being ignorant.

Over 50% of people in the NYC most likely had the virus.
    There is literally zero evidence for such a ridiculous statement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    There is literally zero evidence for such a ridiculous statement.
    Go look at the sampling from chicago. NYC got hit even harder.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    The patience of people to keep putting up with tyrannical measures indefinitely will run out in the near future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Always

Trust

The

Experts!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    The efforts in Florida to suppress information about what is happening in nursing homes will give that particular angle of the COVID story legs. This article in the WSJ yesterday give some idea of the scope of the problem.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronav...ts-11586554096

The new coronavirus has hit more than 2,100 nursing homes and other senior facilities around the U.S., killing over 2,300 people, according to a survey by The Wall Street Journal, an indication the pandemic’s toll in these facilities has been greater than the federal government has reported.

Nursing homes and other senior-living facilities in the U.S. have reported at least 15,473 coronavirus cases, according to data collected from 37 states that responded to requests from the Journal, which contacted all 50 health departments.

Families with mothers and fathers in nursing homes, or preparing to place a relative in a facility, have wanted to know the risks their loved ones face, advocates say. Yet disclosure practices vary, and there often isn’t information publicly available about individual facilities’ coronavirus cases.

The Journal’s figures suggest the virus’s impact in one of the country’s most vulnerable populations is worse than known, despite efforts to protect the residents. And the numbers almost certainly understate the extent of the epidemic. Not all states provided data, while others didn’t offer a comprehensive picture.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Interesting to read the guidance on WebMD for people with active tuberculosis:

While you’re being treated, you’ll need to stay home – no work, no school, no visiting friends. That’s the best way to avoid infecting others with the TB bacteria. Separate yourself from your family or roommates. Always use a tissue when you cough or sneeze, and then throw it away in a closed plastic bag. Air out your room whenever possible, because it’s easier for the bacteria to breed in small, enclosed spaces that lack fresh air.

A few weeks into your treatment, you should start to feel better, and your doctor may let you know that you’re no longer infectious. That’s when you can return to work, school, and a regular social life.

"I am your retribution."