Page 185 of 1481 FirstFirst ... 851351751831841851861871952352856851185 ... LastLast
Results 3,681 to 3,700 of 29602

Thread: The Coronavirus, not the beer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    This is the latest in a series of articles in the WSJ that shows significant undercounting of COVID deaths by various European countries.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronav...896486?tesla=y

Newly published figures show deaths linked to the new coronavirus in the U.K. have far exceeded preliminary estimates, adding to a growing body of evidence across Europe that closely watched daily death tallies don’t reveal the virus’s true toll.

Behind the discrepancy are lags in recording some deaths that can stretch to a week or more, as well as deaths in nursing homes and other non-hospital settings that aren’t normally captured by rapid-fire estimates used to track the pandemic.

The U.K.’s Office for National Statistics said Tuesday its latest data, dated April 11, show there were 6,235 deaths linked to the new coronavirus in England and Wales from the beginning of the year through April 3. The agency’s weekly mortality bulletins are published with an 11-day lag. Scotland and Northern Ireland report similar data separately.

That is 2,142 more deaths than the government first reported for that date on April 4, when it estimated the number of deaths at only 4,093.

The discrepancy in the British data suggesting deaths were more than 50% higher than first estimated reflects what exactly is being counted. In common with other countries, the number reported daily focuses on incoming reports of deaths in the past 24 hours from hospitals where a coronavirus infection has been confirmed by a laboratory test, as well as a running total.

In France, concerns that the death count wasn’t catching all fatalities linked to the disease led officials at the beginning of April to begin reporting confirmed and suspected deaths from the new coronavirus in nursing homes and other institutional living facilities nationwide. As of Monday, France has recorded 5,379 Covid-19 deaths in those facilities, 36% of the country’s total death toll of 14,967 from the disease. The other coronavirus deaths in France’s official count occurred in hospitals. The complete death toll is still unclear because it doesn’t include people who died at home, French authorities say.

Spanish opposition leader Pablo Casado told Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez last week in the Spanish Parliament: “Tell us if it is true that the real number of victims could double the official figures because this would be extremely serious. Spanish people deserve a government that doesn’t lie to them.”

Mr. Casado has called for an audit on the official death toll and accused the government of hiding the magnitude of the pandemic. His call came after official figures for March 17 to April 11 showed the total number of deaths from all causes in Spain was 62% higher than the historical average and almost three times the 16,205 deaths of Covid-19 reported by the Spanish Health Ministry during the same period.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 04-15-2020 at 09:48 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,900 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I deleted the post as I didn't see your earlier one about the mild symptoms. I was posting about cases where people have been running fevers of up to 101 and experiencing other symptoms consistent with COVID-19 (sore throat, cough, etc.) and told to go home and self quarantine. I've not heard of any recent cases. It's probably been about 2 weeks, when mass testing wasn't available in my area. My mother-in law manages a local hospital and says they received less than 20 or so tests, initially, and were told only to test severe patients displaying signs of COVID-19, and tell any other patients to go home and self quarantine for 14 days and only come back if their fever reaches like 103 for an extended period of time or they start having shortness of breath.
    As they should have.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Today the U.S. death count dropped by about 3,000 after the huge surge yesterday.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Sure, if China created this virus in a lab and it got away, then everyone in the world will blame China.

But, China was not responsible for Trump's lairdership or lack thereof when this pandemic starting breaking out in this country. They certainly are not responsible for him bickering with Governors and his press briefings everyday.

If the intelligence reports suggest China did this as an attack, Trump should declassify it immediately and bring it up to the podium.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    As they should have.
    And while it doesn't necessarily have to do with hospitals or clinics and what care they are likely to receive once hospitalization is requirrred, there is the fact that the rich and famous seemingly found it easy to get tested during the early stages when tests were very hard to come by.

Here's an article about a ritzy medical concierge service that allowed for at least 100 executives in NYC to get tested at time in which NYC was testing just a few hundred patients a day.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN2170GR

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

Runnin (04-15-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    Sure, if China created this virus in a lab and it got away, then everyone in the world will blame China.

But, China was not responsible for Trump's lairdership or lack thereof when this pandemic starting breaking out in this country. They certainly are not responsible for him bickering with Governors and his press briefings everyday.

If the intelligence reports suggest China did this as an attack, Trump should declassify it immediately and bring it up to the podium.
    If?

Is it really an if anymore?

This just another version of the 'This is big' from the dems. Repulsive

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    If?

Is it really an if anymore?

This just another version of the 'This is big' from the dems. Repulsive
    I mean, if it really did happen, Trump should show the evidence everyday at the podium, rather than showing his videos of the press like the other day.

It seems very easy to unite the country by showing them the cold hard facts that China created this in a lab and set it loose.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,900 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    And while it doesn't necessarily have to do with hospitals or clinics and what care they are likely to receive once hospitalization is requirrred, there is the fact that the rich and famous seemingly found it easy to get tested during the early stages when tests were very hard to come by.

Here's an article about a ritzy medical concierge service that allowed for at least 100 executives in NYC to get tested at time in which NYC was testing just a few hundred patients a day.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN2170GR
    No that’s something else entirely. Let’s go crazy over 100 tests nationally, ignoring that tests don’t really equal care.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    I mean, if it really did happen, Trump should show the evidence everyday at the podium, rather than showing his videos of the press like the other day.

It seems very easy to unite the country by showing them the cold hard facts that China created this in a lab and set it loose.
    I would agree with this in a vacuum. Completely reasonable.

The media hammers on trimllump 24/7 and for some reason people are upset or shocked when he gives it back. Not saying this makes him look good of course but the media is absolutely out of control. We are now learning of where their true allegiances lie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    I would agree with this in a vacuum. Completely reasonable.

The media hammers on trimllump 24/7 and for some reason people are upset or shocked when he gives it back. Not saying this makes him look good of course but the media is absolutely out of control. We are now learning of where their true allegiances lie
    The media is feeding him exactly what he fed them for a month, and he's getting upset about it.

There is zero reason for Murphy to say China is why Kemp and DeSantis ONLY closed their states a week ago.

We can argue all day on China releasing this. The intelligence community would have already passed this information off to Trump, and probably the Gang of 8. If Trump knows this, he has full power to declassify this and show it for the world to see.

The media owes Trump no loyalty just because the country is in a crisis. That's even more of a reason to be objective. Look at what happened after 9/11 and journalists were going easy on Bush post 9/11 because the country was united for war and his approval was like 90%. It lead us into Iraq in 2003 and mission accomplished.

Let's be real here, the reporters have asked Trump many softball questions since he started doing these things, and he's either given them an incoherent answer, or blasted them for asking him something he doesn't know about.

Trump could show everyone the declassified intelligence that this is what China did. There would be nobody to dispute it if it came from an intelligence briefing, there would only be pushback for revealing the intelligence publicly because he'd probably be stupid enough to expose our sources.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Alex Berenson isn’t as interesting as the number of tweets linked here would suggest he is.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

Carp (04-15-2020), goldfly (04-15-2020), Metaphysicist (04-15-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    What would be very helpful to the public is to be honest and let them know that a massive subset of the population is at virtually zero risk

Then address how to handle the other part responsibly.

This isn't hard
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Last edited by nsacpi; 04-15-2020 at 12:11 PM.

"I am your retribution."