Page 2 of 1480 FirstFirst 123412521025021002 ... LastLast

Thread: The Coronavirus, not the beer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Trump is mulling a travel ban to Italy and South Korea.
    I'm sure they'd like to block infected people from returning to the US, or quarantine the ones who do. That's why the handling of the infected passengers outlined in the whistleblower complaint is so odd. Nothing that they did in that situation makes any sense to me.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    I'm sure they'd like to block infected people from returning to the US, or quarantine the ones who do. That's why the handling of the infected passengers outlined in the whistleblower complaint is so odd. Nothing that they did in that situation makes any sense to me.
    Why is it odd.

Does the incompetence of this admin by now still surprise you?
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    Why is it odd.

Does the incompetence of this admin by now still surprise you?
    It's odd because on the one hand they exhibited caution and fear of the virus and then in the next moment acted as if they wanted to spread the virus into the general public as quickly as possible. The screw up seems to go beyond incompetence. If they were afraid of spreading the virus, why did they send out unprotected, untrained workers who they had to know would become infected?
    Last edited by Runnin; 02-29-2020 at 10:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    It's odd because on the one hand they exhibited caution and fear of the virus and then in the next moment acted as if they wanted to spread the virus into the general public as quickly as possible. The screw up seems to go beyond incompetence. If they were afraid of spreading the virus, why did they send out unprotected, untrained workers who they had to know would become infected?
    you're assuming too much coherence...even a competent administration would be scrambling right now...with chosen one its going to be a mass of incoherent chaos
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    you're assuming too much coherence...even a competent administration would be scrambling right now...with chosen one its going to be a mass of incoherent chaos
    If I'm on the ground in Calf and I know a plane load of folks from Wuhan are on the way, I'm coherent enough to not send people who are not trained or equipped to meet them. The people being sent knew. Maybe the folks on the ground just didn't know who they were meeting, but that level of incompetence is hard to imagine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts

Pence hard at working trying to pray the Coronavirus away. Funny how there arent any crazy religious people blaming this on God's wrath for electing Donald Trump.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Krugman: Pandemic Meets Personality Cult

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/27/o...rus-trump.html

The story of the Trump pandemic response actually began several years ago. Almost as soon as he took office, Trump began cutting funding for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, leading in turn to an 80 percent cut in the resources the agency devotes to global disease outbreaks. Trump also shut down the entire global-health-security unit of the National Security Council.

The first reaction of the Trumpers was to see the coronavirus as a Chinese problem — and to see whatever is bad for China as being good for us. Wilbur Ross, the commerce secretary, cheered it on as a development that would “accelerate the return of jobs to North America.”

MAGA
    Last edited by nsacpi; 03-01-2020 at 08:17 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Jesus Christ do you all have to turn every thread into an anti trump thread?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Jesus Christ do you all have to turn every thread into an anti trump thread?

Are you serious? What does it matter what we say about it? If you have alternative facts, please post them here.

If you haven't been paying attention, Trump has a way of making everything about himself. He bragged about how he has done a wonderful job while not mentioning that if he had not shut down the team devoted to disease outbreaks it would've automatically been doing all the work. Now the U.S. is way behind the outbreak and isn't properly supplied. If only those were his only screw ups so far.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Are you serious? What does it matter what we say about it? If you have alternative facts, please post them here.

If you haven't been paying attention, Trump has a way of making everything about himself. He bragged about how he has done a wonderful job while not mentioning that if he had not shut down the team devoted to disease outbreaks it would've automatically been doing all the work. Now the U.S. is way behind the outbreak and isn't properly supplied. If only those were his only screw ups so far.
    Welcome to the rest of the world. Nothing is slowing this virus down no matter what country you are in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Welcome to the rest of the world. Nothing is slowing this virus down no matter what country you are in.
    Every country is scrambling to contain it. I think it IS part of the story that chosen one has degraded our capabilities to deal with a pandemic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    In the interests of fairness I do want to observe that so far the coronavirus appears to be a blue state problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Is it legitimate to report chosen one decided not to name an expert as his epidemic czar because such a person might not be loyal to him?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Every country is scrambling to contain it. I think it IS part of the story that chosen one has degraded our capabilities to deal with a pandemic.
    A small part. I've been following this since mid January. WHO has been pretty incompetent too. CDC refusing to test anyone until a few days ago was absurd as well.

The real take away is the world just isnt prepard for another full blown pandemic on the level of spanish flu.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    The virus isn't really the problem. The biggest issue is going to be the stress it puts on the medical systems. You're right, the pandemic is here, now it's just a matter of leadership, timely care and infrastructure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    An issue I've been pondering is whether there is a tradeoff between the right response from a medical point of view and the economic fallout.

It seems to me that extreme quarantine measures and attempts to curtail travel cut in opposite directions depending on whether you care more about minimizing spread of the virus or the economic fallout.

Same maybe with sharing information with the public.

Woodrow Wilson had concerns that too much bad news about Spanish flu would hurt war-time morale. So government kept a lid on info.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    An issue I've been pondering is whether there is a tradeoff between the right response from a medical point of view and the economic fallout.

It seems to me that extreme quarantine measures and attempts to curtail travel cut in opposite directions depending on whether you care more about minimizing spread of the virus or the economic fallout.

Same maybe with sharing information with the public.

Woodrow Wilson had concerns that too much bad news about Spanish flu would hurt war-time morale. So government kept a lid on info.
    Don't you think that honest, helpful information could also lesson people's anxiety and give people a sense of what their safe boundaries are? The media is going to be giving bad news and stoking fears if competent leaders aren't standing up to quell anxieties. Of course, if all you've got is Mike Pence, maybe it's best to say as little as possible.
    Last edited by Runnin; 03-01-2020 at 12:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Don't you think that honest, helpful information could also lesson people's anxiety and give people a sense of what their safe boundaries are?
    Transparency is like motherhood and apple pie. Who could possibly be against it. I think it is the right way to go 99% of the time. We'll see though how markets react if as is increasingly likely we get a big increase in number of infections in this country, if sporting events have to be held in empty arenas, if schools start closing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Italy 1,049 tested positive, 401 hospitalized, 29 deaths
    Italy 1694 cases with 34 deaths.

50% increase since yesterday.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Italy 1694 cases with 34 deaths.

50% increase since yesterday.
    Yeah Italy is getting hit hard. Lots of places cancelling flights from Milan