Page 273 of 1481 FirstFirst ... 1732232632712722732742752833233737731273 ... LastLast
Results 5,441 to 5,460 of 29602

Thread: The Coronavirus, not the beer

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,793 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Just calm down and do what your govt tells you to do.
    Ooof.

I see how dictatorships were so easy to achieve in world history

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Japan Covid handout info--My wife and I received 1 mask each from the Japanese govt, the "Abe masks" (small but multi-layered), and we'll each get an initial $1,000 (10,000 yen) if we fill out the paper work. Then, if I can show that I've lost over 50% of my income due to the virus shutdown, I'm supposed to be eligible for an additional $3,000. We both should qualify.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I dont understand how you can say the government telling me I cant go to my own property isn't tyranny.

What about arresting someone for paddle boarding alone?

What about arresting someone for going to park with their kid?

What about banning the sale of seeds in the wake of a global depression?

What about for quarantining citizens for going to a drive in church service?

All of these are justified? None of it is overreach? If you think this is hunky dory then we can we stop the discussion bc we're too far apart
    Great, you admit you are incapable of understanding how the constitution works. That's the first step.

Next step is learning the smallest measure of reading comprehension, since I gave you a specific example over overreach, and described a process for determining whether actions are overreach or not. You somehow read that as "there is no overreach possible."

I recommend a course at the learning annex, though online is probably your best bet at this point. But until that happens, its good to know that you have chosen the "muh rights" flag-jerkoff method. It's good to know you are only interested in complaining, not what anyone says in response to your "questions."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Metaphysicist For This Useful Post:

goldfly (04-30-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,793 Posts
    You addressed nothing I asked.

You'll have to forgive me for thinking about "muh rights" when I'm told I cant purchase ****ing vegetable seeds.

I asked earlier and you answered. Tyranny to you is cops pulling the trigger. If you want to add nuance there you can, but thus far you've justified a complete senseless restriction on things that pose no risk to this scary virus spreading.

Fear is powerful. Easy to take control

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    I dont understand how you can say the government telling me I cant go to my own property isn't tyranny.

What about arresting someone for paddle boarding alone?

What about arresting someone for going to park with their kid?

What about banning the sale of seeds in the wake of a global depression?

What about for quarantining citizens for going to a drive in church service?

All of these are justified? None of it is overreach? If you think this is hunky dory then we can we stop the discussion bc we're too far apart
    Have you ever been on a sports team, in a club or part of any organized group of any kind? Have you always been so paranoid? Have you ever lived in another country?

Is it not true that Americans enjoy more freedoms than any country on earth. I'm not trying to be snarky, but I think it's relevant that on the freedom vs nanny state graph, America is at the far end of the freedom side. Japan would be pretty deep in the nanny state side of that graph. While there are some annoyances and several rules I might deem unfair, the balance is very comfortable and dependable.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,793 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Have you ever been on a sports team, in a club or part of any organized group of any kind? Have you always been so paranoid? Have you ever lived in another country?

Is it not true that Americans enjoy more freedoms than any country on earth. I'm not trying to be snarky, but I think it's relevant that on the freedom vs nanny state graph, America is at the far end of the freedom side. Japan would be pretty deep in the nanny state side of that graph. While there are some annoyances and several rules I might deem unfair, the balance is very comfortable and dependable.
    You telling me that I used to have too much freedom and thus should be fine with less...

Is not a good argument

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    You addressed nothing I asked.

You'll have to forgive me for thinking about "muh rights" when I'm told I cant purchase ****ing vegetable seeds.

I asked earlier and you answered. Tyranny to you is cops pulling the trigger. If you want to add nuance there you can, but thus far you've justified a complete senseless restriction on things that pose no risk to this scary virus spreading.

Fear is powerful. Easy to take control
    You are at thethe levels of idiot right now. I directly answered you repeatedly and at length and with examples, and you just repeat yourself and explicitly lie about what I said.

I attempted to answer you in good faith and you've been a dick about it. You aren't asking for a conversation or even pretending to engage with what I wrote. You are just trolling, so I will ignore you now.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Metaphysicist For This Useful Post:

goldfly (04-30-2020)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    " We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

I mean people hope on that Liberty part, but remember the articles of the confederations failed miserably for a reason. But I don't expect anyone who goes "LIBERTY!"
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Is a governor saying I cant legally go to a property I own, tyranny?
    No, seeing as the Supreme Court says it is not. Why are you still harping on dumb **** when it's been proven that States have police powers during a state of emergency that limits your rights.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (04-30-2020), goldfly (04-30-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    An interesting look at how economists analyze the externalities inherent in epidemics and how they weigh the tradeoff between lives and income.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    If you haven't read this article, you owe it to yourself and the rest of us. :-) Link

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

Metaphysicist (05-01-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    If you haven't read this article, you owe it to yourself and the rest of us. :-) Link
    For some reason I find it amusing you linked to this article. It has a lot of interesting points, especially the part about non-experts expounding authoritatively.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    For some reason I find it amusing you linked to this article. It has a lot of interesting points, especially the part about non-experts expounding authoritatively.

Why amusing?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,793 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    30m tests per day, huh

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    Great, you admit you are incapable of understanding how the constitution works. That's the first step.

Next step is learning the smallest measure of reading comprehension, since I gave you a specific example over overreach, and described a process for determining whether actions are overreach or not. You somehow read that as "there is no overreach possible."

I recommend a course at the learning annex, though online is probably your best bet at this point. But until that happens, its good to know that you have chosen the "muh rights" flag-jerkoff method. It's good to know you are only interested in complaining, not what anyone says in response to your "questions."
    it's always 1+1 with him

the simplest math equations for a complex problem that needs way more than his "if i can't do this at any time i want, it's tyranny"

his argument is like the underpants gnomes.

COVID19 Pandemic happening

step 1. people dying, can stop or slow spread by staying at home and not going to the bar
    step 2.
    step 3. see! tyranny, i can't go the bar. how is this not tyranny?

it's seriously reminds me of libertarians in college who argue in a vacuum and never look at mitigating factors (you know, the real world). it's like listening to someone try to explain how communism will work and hasn't worked cause it isn't pure communism
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts
    Judge rules Michigan stay-at-home order doesn’t infringe on constitutional rights

A Michigan judge on Wednesday found that while Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s stay-at-home order does “temporary harm” to the constitutional rights of Michigan residents, the harm doesn’t outweigh the public health risk posed by the coronavirus outbreak.

Steve Martinko, owner of an Oakland County landscaping business, and four other Michigan residents filed a lawsuit against the governor and other state officials claiming the stay-at-home order infringes on their constitutional rights and should be declared invalid. The “mandatory quarantine” and in-state travel restrictions violate due process rights, the plaintiffs argued.

Michigan Court of Claims Judge Christopher Murray ruled in favor of Whitmer, Attorney General Dana Nessel and Department of Natural Resources Director Daniel Eichinger on Wednesday, April 29.

“Our fellow residents have an interest to remain unharmed by a highly communicable and deadly virus,” Murray wrote in his opinion. “And since the state entered the Union in 1837, it has had the broad power to act for the public health of the entire state when faced with a public crisis.”

The stay-at-home order was first put in place March 24, suspending activities "not necessary to sustain or protect life." It's been extended through May 15 – with fewer restrictions.

https://www.mlive.com/public-interes...P9rkOZJRbefAlk
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Interesting modeling update from Imperial College. They don't have US numbers, but they have a website where you can poke around for a bunch of EU countries. Pretty interesting what they think the effects of various interventions have been; note how little effect school closure apparently has:

Sweden, for example: