Page 353 of 1481 FirstFirst ... 2533033433513523533543553634034538531353 ... LastLast
Results 7,041 to 7,060 of 29602

Thread: The Coronavirus, not the beer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    The scientist who created Florida's COVID-19 data portal wasn't just removed from her position on May 5, she was fired on Monday by the Department of Health, she said, for refusing to manipulate data.

Rebekah Jones said in an email to FLORIDA TODAY that she single-handedly created two applications in two languages, four dashboards, six unique maps with layers of data functionality for 32 variables covering a half a million lines of data. Her objective was to create a way for Floridians and researchers to see what the COVID-19 situation was in real time.

Then, she was dismissed.

"I worked on it alone, sixteen hours a day for two months, most of which I was never paid for, and now that this has happened I'll probably never get paid for," she wrote in an email, confirming that she had not just been reassigned on May 5, but fired from her job as Geographic Information Systems manager for the Florida Department of Health.

After FLORIDA TODAY first reported Jones' removal from her position in charge of the Florida COVID-19 Data and Surveillance Dashboard she created, she confirmed, as reported by CBS-12 in West Palm Beach that she was fired because she was ordered to censor some data, but refused to "manually change data to drum up support for the plan to reopen."

She provided no further details.

In an email last Friday to researchers and other data users, Jones warned that with her removal changes were likely coming to the accessibility and transparency of the dashboard data.

"They are making a lot of changes. I would advise being diligent in your respective uses of this data," she wrote.

Researchers who saw the email reacted with shock and dismay, suggesting it could be evidence that the Gov. Ron De Santis' government was censoring information tosupport the case for re-opening Florid
    The Florida case I haven't kept up with beyond the headlines. She is right about people being diligent about how they use the data. I mean it is a basic thing with data. You need to understand how it is being generated.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    The scientist who created Florida's COVID-19 data portal wasn't just removed from her position on May 5, she was fired on Monday by the Department of Health, she said, for refusing to manipulate data.

Rebekah Jones said in an email to FLORIDA TODAY that she single-handedly created two applications in two languages, four dashboards, six unique maps with layers of data functionality for 32 variables covering a half a million lines of data. Her objective was to create a way for Floridians and researchers to see what the COVID-19 situation was in real time.

Then, she was dismissed.

"I worked on it alone, sixteen hours a day for two months, most of which I was never paid for, and now that this has happened I'll probably never get paid for," she wrote in an email, confirming that she had not just been reassigned on May 5, but fired from her job as Geographic Information Systems manager for the Florida Department of Health.

After FLORIDA TODAY first reported Jones' removal from her position in charge of the Florida COVID-19 Data and Surveillance Dashboard she created, she confirmed, as reported by CBS-12 in West Palm Beach that she was fired because she was ordered to censor some data, but refused to "manually change data to drum up support for the plan to reopen."

She provided no further details.

In an email last Friday to researchers and other data users, Jones warned that with her removal changes were likely coming to the accessibility and transparency of the dashboard data.

"They are making a lot of changes. I would advise being diligent in your respective uses of this data," she wrote.

Researchers who saw the email reacted with shock and dismay, suggesting it could be evidence that the Gov. Ron De Santis' government was censoring information tosupport the case for re-opening Florid
    "provided no further details"

you are really hoping that this virus keeps us locked down forever.

Its so sad how political you are being about this.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Alert - May 17, there was an electronic processing error which inadvertently included 231 serologic test results in the number of positive COVID19 cases. This error was corrected, but caused a decrease in positive cases between reporting periods on our dashboard. We are working diligently to provide the most accurate information, and we apologize for any confusion.
    ////////////////////////////

Let this get straightened out before chest thumping over Georgias sucess.
    This alert was dated two days ago

Seeing the issue in Florida and the Kemp Administration's willingness to confuse the public to their end.
    I will remain skeptical of anything coming from Kemp or De Santis
    Last edited by 57Brave; 05-19-2020 at 03:06 PM.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Political --- ?
    for good reason I do not trust the people doing the counting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Alert - May 17, there was an electronic processing error which inadvertently included 231 serologic test results in the number of positive COVID19 cases. This error was corrected, but caused a decrease in positive cases between reporting periods on our dashboard. We are working diligently to provide the most accurate information, and we apologize for any confusion.
    ////////////////////////////

Let this get straightened out before chest thumping over Georgias sucess.
    This alert was dated two days ago

Seeing the issue in Florida and the Kemp Administration's willingness to confuse the public to their end.
    I will remain skeptical of the trumpeted success
    This omission made the data more positive.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    At the end of the day we'll have the excess mortality data for every state.

In the interim if cases spike up, I don't think that this can be covered up on any sort of large scale basis. There is some discretion in how stuff gets reported but not that much.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    excuse me. If there was an apology for misleading, how did the apology make it more to their favor.
    And if it was in their favor why did they mislead in the first place.

You are defying logic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    At the end of the day we'll have the excess mortality data for every state.

In the interim if cases spike up, I don't think that this can be covered up on any sort of large scale basis. There is some discretion in how stuff gets reported but not that much.
    at the end of the day --- we will.
    We are far fro the end of the day

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    The data suggest they are not superspreaders. It could be their immune systems keep the viral load low even when they are infected.
    Or certain countries the kids aren't super spreaders because they're raised differently.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Or certain countries the kids aren't super spreaders because they're raised differently.
    While an interesting thought virul loads are a unit of measure so its easily quantifiable. The primary contributor to that lower number would have to be innate characteristics of a young human species.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    I was glad to see Notre Dame moving forward with fall classes. They will implement a comprehensive program of testing, tracing and quarantine as part of that.

I hope other schools end up in a similar place. They will have to have contingency plans for going online for a given class if there is a need. But hopefully as many schools as possible open up this fall.
    We got an email in the last couple of days that we are aiming to do some kind of hybrid classes; seems like in-person as default, but with full infrastructure for people who need to stay away. Details on exactly how that works are thus far kinda vague though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    We got an email in the last couple of days that we are aiming to do some kind of hybrid classes; seems like in-person as default, but with full infrastructure for people who need to stay away. Details on exactly how that works are thus far kinda vague though.
    Most schools seem to be leaning toward in-person and in-lab for grad students.

Dorm living is emerging as an issue for undergrads.

But yeah some sort of hybrid makes a lot of sense. It also puts in place an infrastructure should a class need to go online due to people testing positive or being exposed to others who have tested positive. And then after the quarantine period things can resume on an in-person basis.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    No - Just hates Murica.
    I'm not the one who voted for the guy who denies America is already great.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Metaphysicist For This Useful Post:

goldfly (05-19-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    At what point does the .001% of the vulnerable population need to take the precautions necessary to reduce risk, rather than the 99.99% of population who poses little to no risk?
    I see we are doing the "bad at percentages" game again.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    I'm not the one who voted for the guy who denies America is already great.
    I'm learning about you
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Natural Immunity Croc

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    yeah, i agree

the criminalization of drugs is a total failure and has cost us tons of lives and trillions of wasted money

glad to see ya on board
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...virus-pandemic

baseball's plan for reopening...includes a lot of testing

Notre Dame's plan...involves a comprehensive program of testing, tracing and quarantine

the rest of us?

"I am your retribution."

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    You have an unhealthy desire for the government to track and monitor the **** out of its citizens