Page 550 of 1480 FirstFirst ... 504505005405485495505515525606006501050 ... LastLast
Results 10,981 to 11,000 of 29591

Thread: The Coronavirus, not the beer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I don't claim to be Republican. I am conservative on most issues, but I could not care less about the letter following the person's name. OO encouraged the same type of activity and you give him a total pass. ****, the man can be solely blame for the death of Herman Cain and several others for the rally he held in Tulsa, OK during the height of their outbreak. Yet you remain silent on that.
    What, other than personal responsibility has been pushed?

Cain knew the risks but decided to go. Its a shame he has passed but we should all get to choose what our lives will be. You for some reason as a 'conservative' support the government telling you how to live your life.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    If the nursing home deaths in NY are 11,000, then only NJ and NY states have more deaths than NY LTC.
    It made no sense the numbers they were reporting.

Real news outlets were on to this very early on. Mo the before the AP couldn't sweep it under the rug anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    What, other than personal responsibility has been pushed?

Cain knew the risks but decided to go. Its a shame he has passed but we should all get to choose what our lives will be. You for some reason as a 'conservative' support the government telling you how to live your life.
    Yes, how totally liberal of me to be willing that I'm willing to help preserve the lives of thousands of Americans. You totally got me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    1 is New Zealand?

2 is the United States?
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    data update chucklehead style:

today Japan, the Land of the Rising Sheeple, reported 938 cases and 5 deaths

and Florida, where the chuckleheads roam, reported 5,831 cases and 276 deaths

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    data update chucklehead style:

today Japan, the Land of the Rising Sheeple, reported 938 cases and 5 deaths

and Florida, where the chuckleheads roam, reported 5,831 cases and 276 deaths
    That's Florida's highest one day death total yet. It's exactly 271.37% less than NY's high total of 1025 on April 17th.

ETA... NY had a 7-day avg of deaths higher than Florida's high total today for 44 straight days (3-31 - 5-13).
    Last edited by msstate7; 08-11-2020 at 11:19 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    That's Florida's highest one day death total yet. It's exactly 271.37% less than NY's high total of 1025 on April 17th.
    I did say it was a chucklehead style post didn't I

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    People leaving big cities during pandemic?

https://www.pix11.com/news/national/...they-are-going

Nsaci, you gonna move to Idaho or New Mexico?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    If New Zealand of all places is going to start getting cases again, then there is simply no way to manage Covid. All you can really do is simply manage a flattened curve (e.g., masks, encourage WFH, avoid high density areas), but do what you can to avoid economic catastrophe.

This is the new reality for the next few years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    People leaving big cities during pandemic?

https://www.pix11.com/news/national/...they-are-going

Nsaci, you gonna move to Idaho or New Mexico?
    i'm looking to move back to the city next year after my son finishes HS

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    If New Zealand of all places is going to start getting cases again, then there is simply no way to manage Covid. All you can really do is simply manage a flattened curve (e.g., masks, encourage WFH, avoid high density areas), but do what you can to avoid economic catastrophe.

This is the new reality for the next few years.
    Doesn't have to be years.

As a society we have to realize that death is a part of life and it has always been about the future generations.

We just go full herd immunity and those in the high risk groups that want to survive need to take the necessary precautions. We are at the level in technology where this is possible.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Doesn't have to be years.

As a society we have to realize that death is a part of life and it has always been about the future generations.

We just go full herd immunity and those in the high risk groups that want to survive need to take the necessary precautions. We are at the level in technology where this is possible.
    There are over 100 million people in the United States over the age of 50. You aren't going to reach "full herd immunity" and protect the high risk groups. Can't do both.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    There are over 100 million people in the United States over the age of 50. You aren't going to reach "full herd immunity" and protect the high risk groups. Can't do both.
    Over the age of 50 is not an at risk group.

Over he age of 75 is where it starts to become problematic when you just consider age as a co-morbidity.

The real population at risk when the IFR goes above .5% is a much smaller number

Herd immunity is not far away if we make the right decisions.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    i'm looking to move back to the city next year after my son finishes HS
    I visited NYC last December, and I loved it. I really hope the violence gets under control bc I wanna go back. No way I'd wanna live in a big city though... I have lots of acres and privacy in rural Mississippi.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I visited NYC last December, and I loved it. I really hope the violence gets under control bc I wanna go back. No way I'd wanna live in a big city though... I have lots of acres and privacy in rural Mississippi.
    NYC won't be the same for quite some time.

Their tax base is getting destroyed. Businesses have closed up by the hundreds. Crime is rampant. And the everyday hard working family is leaving.

Its like you're living in a different world when you go there now.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Over the age of 50 is not an at risk group.

Over he age of 75 is where it starts to become problematic when you just consider age as a co-morbidity.

The real population at risk when the IFR goes above .5% is a much smaller number

Herd immunity is not far away if we make the right decisions.
    It doesn't matter how many ways you try to look at it, shooting for herd immunity without a vaccine is a desperate high-risk decision you only make if you don't have better options. We do. We have several better options. And we are most definitely far away.

I know it won't make a difference, but here is yet another person who knows what they are talking about -

https://www.mdanderson.org/cancerwis...159383523.html

"What does it take to achieve herd immunity?

That varies by disease. For this particular coronavirus, doctors estimate that about 60% to 70% of the human population would need to have antibodies in order to have herd immunity as a species.

What is that COVID-19 estimate based on?

There’s actually a formula used to calculate that percentage (herd immunity threshold = 1-1/R0). This formula includes the basic reproduction number or “R-zero,” which indicates the average number of new people that a single infected individual can expose and infect. That figure for the flu is around 1.3, meaning that each infected person infects an average of 1.3 more people. Unfortunately, for the coronavirus, it’s between 2 and 3. So, this is a very contagious disease.

When will we achieve herd immunity against this coronavirus?

When we have a vaccine for COVID-19. Because we can’t just rely on natural immunity, or the kind that develops after you’ve been infected and recovered.

Right now, one study from Spain estimates that only about 3% of that country’s population has been infected. That figure is probably the same here in the United States. So, we’re still in the single digits, and it’s already putting a significant strain on medical systems worldwide. We probably need around 70% of the population to have developed antibodies in order to halt community transmission of COVID-19.

What happens when we do reach herd immunity for COVID-19?

That depends. There have been some indications that this may be like the flu, and that immunity may not last longer than four or five months. So, immunity may wane over time, and people would need to be revaccinated. But nobody really knows yet.

The bottom line is just because you’re immune today doesn’t mean you’ll still be immune 3 or 6 months from now."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    It doesn't matter how many ways you try to look at it, shooting for herd immunity without a vaccine is a desperate high-risk decision you only make if you don't have better options. We do. We have several better options. And we are most definitely far away.

I know it won't make a difference, but here is yet another person who knows what they are talking about -

https://www.mdanderson.org/cancerwis...159383523.html

"What does it take to achieve herd immunity?

That varies by disease. For this particular coronavirus, doctors estimate that about 60% to 70% of the human population would need to have antibodies in order to have herd immunity as a species.

What is that COVID-19 estimate based on?

There’s actually a formula used to calculate that percentage (herd immunity threshold = 1-1/R0). This formula includes the basic reproduction number or “R-zero,” which indicates the average number of new people that a single infected individual can expose and infect. That figure for the flu is around 1.3, meaning that each infected person infects an average of 1.3 more people. Unfortunately, for the coronavirus, it’s between 2 and 3. So, this is a very contagious disease.

When will we achieve herd immunity against this coronavirus?

When we have a vaccine for COVID-19. Because we can’t just rely on natural immunity, or the kind that develops after you’ve been infected and recovered.

Right now, one study from Spain estimates that only about 3% of that country’s population has been infected. That figure is probably the same here in the United States. So, we’re still in the single digits, and it’s already putting a significant strain on medical systems worldwide. We probably need around 70% of the population to have developed antibodies in order to halt community transmission of COVID-19.

What happens when we do reach herd immunity for COVID-19?

That depends. There have been some indications that this may be like the flu, and that immunity may not last longer than four or five months. So, immunity may wane over time, and people would need to be revaccinated. But nobody really knows yet.

The bottom line is just because you’re immune today doesn’t mean you’ll still be immune 3 or 6 months from now."
    Presence of antibodies has almost been dispelled as the base figure to look at when assessing herd immunity.

Places like sweden where it appears the virus is under control still only showed 20% and thats because of t cells.
    Last edited by thethe; 08-11-2020 at 12:31 PM.
    Natural Immunity Croc

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Top lockdown states, by deaths per million and unemployment rate:
    NY: 1,688 and 15.7%
    NJ: 1,796 and 16.6%
    MA: 1,268 and 17.4%
    Top non-lockdown states:
    KY: 173 and 4.3%